jetway tranny..to junk or not to junk

Old July 30th, 2007, 05:59 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
kmangsxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: connecticut
Posts: 13
jetway tranny..to junk or not to junk

im new to this site, ive done alot of reading and i have a few questons....so here goes....

first off,i just got a 69 cutlass ''s'' and it has a rocket 350 and a powerglide and or jetway..i thought they were the same thing...what is the diffrence between the two?( i have the m31 on the fisher body plate,so i would asume i have a jetway) what are the pro's and con's with this tranny. whats the longevity of it(it has 103,000miles on it already) will it hold up to alot of burnouts?
kmangsxr is offline  
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:23 PM
  #2  
same but different
 
don71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 2,440
I know the experts can add more facts, about your tranny, but I can tell you that a power glide and the jetaway are not the same.

Most folks I know who do not want to keep it original, will allways install a th350 or th400. Usually for dependability. Now, an overdrive tranny might be a consideration with gas prices the way they are. So, more forward gears equals better milage and a lower rpm drop in the torque band of the enigine.

Its hard to say how long that tranny will last. Drive it and enjoy. I'm an optimist, if it will turn the tires over today, it will do it tommorow. But let your budget decide on your future plans.
don71 is offline  
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:34 PM
  #3  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 32,009
Originally Posted by kmangsxr View Post
im new to this site, ive done alot of reading and i have a few questons....so here goes....

first off,i just got a 69 cutlass ''s'' and it has a rocket 350 and a powerglide and or jetway..i thought they were the same thing...what is the diffrence between the two?( i have the m31 on the fisher body plate,so i would asume i have a jetway) what are the pro's and con's with this tranny. whats the longevity of it(it has 103,000miles on it already) will it hold up to alot of burnouts?
OK, first, the Junkaway...er, JETaway is NOT a Powerglide. The ratios are the same (1.76:1 first, 1:1 second) but nothing else interchanges. It's like comparing a 350 Olds with a 350 Chevy.

Parts for the Jetaway (also called the Super Turbine 300 or ST300) are getting to be hard to find, even filters. The advantages of a trans swap are more gears, better acceleration, and better gas mileage if you go with an overdrive trans like the 200-4R. The TH350 is a virtual bolt-in since it was optional on your 69 from the factory.

Having said that, unless you're hard over on changing the trans, I'd agree with the previous post. Drive it until it breaks then think about swapping it.
joe_padavano is offline  
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:44 PM
  #4  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
kmangsxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: connecticut
Posts: 13
i have an option to put a 400chevy motor and a 700r4 drive train in it for real cheap...i have a colum shift, is that gonna be a problem?(as there room to move the shifter to all the gears)
kmangsxr is offline  
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:18 PM
  #5  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 32,009
Originally Posted by kmangsxr View Post
i have an option to put a 400chevy motor and a 700r4 drive train in it for real cheap...i have a colum shift, is that gonna be a problem?(as there room to move the shifter to all the gears)
Yup. Putting an SBC in a 69 Cutlass will be a problem... at least in THIS forum it will.
joe_padavano is offline  
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:23 PM
  #6  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
kmangsxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: connecticut
Posts: 13
i hear ya...lol....if i can get an olds drive train for cheaper than it would cost me to do-up what i got in there allready than id rather do that
kmangsxr is offline  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:39 AM
  #7  
Administrator
 
Oldsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Red Oak Texas
Posts: 8,893
Seriously, even with support from a Chevy site, you will still have more issues than switching to a different Olds engine/driveline where everything is made to fit. Shifter compatability would be just one of the issues.
Oldsguy is offline  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
  #8  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 32,009
Originally Posted by kmangsxr View Post
i hear ya...lol....if i can get an olds drive train for cheaper than it would cost me to do-up what i got in there allready than id rather do that
See, that's what I don't understand. I see running, rusty full size Olds 4 drs for sale cheap all the time, often with 455 motors. Drop that in your Cutlass and you're good to go.
joe_padavano is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jgouette
Parts For Sale
3
November 17th, 2012 08:07 PM
62radarlove
Transmission
6
February 17th, 2012 07:55 AM
stinger
Big Blocks
18
September 15th, 2008 11:41 PM
troys2222
Transmission
4
May 24th, 2007 10:18 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: jetway tranny..to junk or not to junk


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.