Help on 57 Olds trans repair

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2014, 09:55 AM
Sid

Help on 57 Olds trans repair

I live in Anderson Indiana and need to have my original Hydro- trans looked at, any one know of a place that is able and reliable to remove and repair in the Indy area if that is what needs to be done?. What the trans is doing is when it is warm and I shut the car off in park it sounds like a fan blade rubbing while it is slowing down, it runs fine in every gear no slipping or no leaks. It doe's not make the noise when on start up or when I turn it off cold. I thought maybe it was coming from starter sticking ,rebuilt it and noise is still there. Sure hope someone and help?

Thanks SID
Old August 13th, 2014, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sid
I live in Anderson Indiana and need to have my original Hydro- trans looked at, any one know of a place that is able and reliable to remove and repair in the Indy area if that is what needs to be done?. What the trans is doing is when it is warm and I shut the car off in park it sounds like a fan blade rubbing while it is slowing down, it runs fine in every gear no slipping or no leaks. It doe's not make the noise when on start up or when I turn it off cold. I thought maybe it was coming from starter sticking ,rebuilt it and noise is still there. Sure hope someone and help?

Thanks SID
Old August 14th, 2014, 12:11 AM

Hey Sid. Gee I wrote two novels to you today and neither one posted. Don't know what happened but I have an idea about your trans that may help. Its 3 am and will try again maybe tomorrow sometime. Lets see if I can post this at least. LOL
Old August 14th, 2014, 11:46 AM

Omg Sid. I have now lost 4 long posts. the last one I kept checking to see if it was posting and it was so I finished it and preview posted it and the site had logged me out again. It was 45 min long and gone, Im killing the day will write later tonight in smaller segments. Its not me its this site. It will log you off and never tell you, I learned that nasty lesson. ttu later Don
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:42 PM

Ok Sid, I thought I had this thing under control so I figured I would send part 1 I was already logged out Within 20 MIN!!! I can't believe this is happening. They must have changed the software as this has never happened to me before.
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:51 PM

You gotta love that Jetaway!!! Part 1

Originally Posted by Sid

Thanks SID
Ok Hi, I got my car on the road about 3yrs ago and had to get the car out of the garage after 25 years working on it cause I was getting divorce. It was a parts car I got for 300 bucks. I backed out of the driveway and when I got on the road it wouldn't upshift to 2nd. You might want to read my problem in the transmission section of this site. I checked the adjustment of the kickdown linkage. I took the Pan down on the trans and removed the valve bodies and Accumulator/Servo. Cleaned and Inspected and still had the problem.
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:06 PM

You gotta love that Jetaway!!! Part 2

Originally Posted by Olds5798
Ok Hi, I got my car on the road about 3yrs ago and had to get the car out of the garage after 25 years working on it cause I was getting divorce. It was a parts car I got for 300 bucks. I backed out of the driveway and when I got on the road it wouldn't upshift to 2nd. You might want to read my problem in the transmission section of this site. I checked the adjustment of the kickdown linkage. I took the Pan down on the trans and removed the valve bodies and Accumulator/Servo. Cleaned and Inspected and still had the problem.
I also met a guy D-2 ****** on this site who is very knowlegable on transmissions who was constantly in touch with me and gave me the name of a great trans parts guy who I called. He sent me a early 57 trans parts breakdown that was a big help as my trans had a extra spring and ball check valve that my Shop Manual didn't have but his breakdown showed it. That was an enormous help. More about him later. I feel like I'm on the clock with this hope you can understand it. You might see If you can raise D-2 ***** if what I tell you don't help.
So Long story short I ran out of options and went for the last possible chance for finding my problem which was the G-2 Governor spins around as it it plugged into the rear pump housing as the rear pump drive also turns the governor which is held in place by the tailshaft housing or the rear extension housing on the rear of the transmission.
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:19 PM

You gotta love that Jetaway!!! Part 3

I also met a guy D-2 ****** on this site who is very knowlegable on transmissions who was constantly in touch with me and gave me the name of a great trans parts guy who I called. He sent me a early 57 trans parts breakdown that was a big help as my trans had a extra spring and ball check valve that my Shop Manual didn't have but his breakdown showed it. That was an enormous help. More about him later. I feel like I'm on the clock with this hope you can understand it. You might see If you can raise D-2 ***** if what I tell you don't help.
So Long story short I ran out of options and went for the last possible chance for finding my problem which was the G-2 Governor spins around as it it plugged into the rear pump housing as the rear pump drive also turns the governor which is held in place by the tailshaft housing or the rear extension housing on the rear of the transmission.
It is the G-2 Governor that I believe you should inspect. It makes sense as you don't have to remove the transmission or even put it on a lift to do this. Yes, it would be easier on a lift, I didn't have that option, I'm 65 with a bad back and limited funds. If its not the governor the most it will cost is possibly a new rear housing gasket. In my talks with the parts guy it turns out that that many of them would fly apart through the year. The flyweight is staked in place on the governor valve shaft. They first become loose then intermittent. My weight fell off once I pullled the rear extension housing off and plucked in the small pan I had positioned under the housing to catch the 2 qts or so fluid that leaked out. So I didn't even have to drain the entire trans to do this (about 30 Qts or so I forget)
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:51 PM

To be continued.

It is the G-2 Governor that I believe you should inspect. It makes sense as you don't have to remove the transmission or even put it on a lift to do this. Yes, it would be easier on a lift, I didn't have that option, I'm 65 with a bad back and limited funds. If its not the governor the most it will cost is possibly a new rear housing gasket. In my talks with the parts guy it turns out that that many of them would fly apart through the years. The flyweight is staked in place on the governor valve shaft. They first become loose then intermittent. My weight fell off once I pullled the rear extension housing off and plucked in the small pan I had positioned under the housing to catch the 2 qts or so fluid that leaked out. So I didn't even have to drain the entire trans to do this (which is 30 Qts or so I forget)
Ok Part 4 ran 20 min and the site swallowed it but it was finished.
Will pick it up tomorrow some time will be out most of the day. ok Sid Sorry I never planned on stop watch typing this. I need to tell somebody about this as it makes now sense to log someone off at 20 min steady typing.

Last edited by Olds5798; August 15th, 2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old August 15th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

hey Olds5798:

When you are doing really long post, try doing them in a word doc and then copying and pasting them. This thing is probably timing out on you before you finish. It is just something we have to live with. I don't do very many long posts though. Love those 57's.
Old August 15th, 2014, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
hey Olds5798:

When you are doing really long post, try doing them in a word doc and then copying and pasting them. This thing is probably timing out on you before you finish. It is just something we have to live with. I don't do very many long posts though. Love those 57's.
Or sometimes if you haven't logged in with the remember me box checked you will be kicked off. I just leave it checked and I don't have that problem or maybe my posts are just shorter......Tedd
Old August 15th, 2014, 10:35 AM

Hi, I saw my username mentioned in some of the posts. If you need some help on your problem just let me know. I have a 1960 Jetaway that is for sale if interested.
Old August 15th, 2014, 11:35 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Or sometimes if you haven't logged in with the remember me box checked you will be kicked off. I just leave it checked and I don't have that problem or maybe my posts are just shorter......Tedd
Well I'll be darned if it isn't Tedd back to help me out of yet another bind. LOL. Thanks Tedd! Yea this thing has been giving me fits. Must be some brainiacs new software as I never used to have this problem. I don't know what a word doc is on this site. It don't seem to be one of the options as I only see the quote and other two for selections. Yea, and the picture of my wreck don't appear anymore. Wat the heck. I been try to finish my story to this guy Sid for 3 days and thought I finished it last nite but ran over the 20 min limit it seems to have and it swallowed it.
Hey are you feeling any better about the short circuit, you sound in a better mood anyway?
Ok well I better go or it will swallow this or already has. ttu soon
Don

Last edited by Olds5798; August 15th, 2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:03 PM

Cool

Ok Part 4 ran 20 min and the site swallowed it but it was finished.
Will pick it up tomorrow some time will be out most of the day. ok Sid Sorry I never planned on stop watch typing this. I need to tell somebody about this as it makes now sense to log someone off at 20 min steady typing.
Ok Sid so as you can see D-2 ****** is in town and his Wonderful Side kick Tedd Thomson who is constantly bailing me out. Two Great guys that do the Lords Work on this site. And look! D-2 even takes all major credit Cards!!! LOL Just kidding neither one ever charged me 1 penny.
Ok so if you want to inspect the G-2 Governor, which to me sounds to be a good place to look as that governor is spinning down with engine speed at shut down what if it was crooked on the shaft? It could be chaffing the housing or something you should hope as that great parts guy D-2 hooked me up with only charged me 75 bucks for a new governor and rear ext housing gasket! Taking no chances and relogging for the grand finale!
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:34 PM

Ok I got screwed on the last post. Its just the instructions to gain access to the governor which I will do later as it looks to be getting dark outside. See ya later. Don
Old August 16th, 2014, 04:37 PM

Ok Sid so as you can see D-2 ****** is in town and his Wonderful Side kick Tedd Thomson who is constantly bailing me out. Two Great guys that do the Lords Work on this site. And look! D-2 even takes all major credit Cards!!! LOL Just kidding neither one ever charged me 1 penny.
Ok so if you want to inspect the G-2 Governor, which to me sounds to be a good place to look as that governor is spinning down with engine speed at shut down what if it was crooked on the shaft? It could be chaffing the housing or something you should hope as that great parts guy D-2 hooked me up with only charged me 75 bucks for a new governor and rear ext housing gasket! Taking no chances and relogging for the grand finale!
Olds5798, thanks for the compliments. I don't recall selling a governor and gasket, perhaps you got it from Dave Needham.

I don't think the governor is Sid's problem as the governor is not spinning at a standstill, since it is driven by the tail shaft.

Sid, I would try and have someone shut the car off while you are under the car to try and pinpoint where the noise is coming from. From what you mention, I would say that your noise is coming from the front of the transmission, as the fluid coupling and front pump are always spinning, even at standstill. So see if you can pinpoint the location of the noise and then the possibilities can be noted.
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
hey Olds5798:

Thanks redoldsman, thats great advise, love that car!!! She's a keeper!!!
Old August 19th, 2014, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by d2_willys
Olds5798, thanks for the compliments. I don't recall selling a governor and gasket, perhaps you got it from Dave Needham.

I don't think the governor is Sid's problem as the governor is not spinning at a standstill, since it is driven by the tail shaft.

Sid, I would try and have someone shut the car off while you are under the car to try and pinpoint where the noise is coming from. From what you mention, I would say that your noise is coming from the front of the transmission, as the fluid coupling and front pump are always spinning, even at standstill. So see if you can pinpoint the location of the noise and then the possibilities can be noted.
Hey D2 I didn't say you sold me the governor or the gasket just gave me the name of the Transmission parts guy.
Also, don't want to confuse the issue but you said the G-2 Governor is driven by the tailshaft. Its driven by the rear pump drive that is not pumping in idle or park but is turning the governor sensing engine speed whether regulating pressure or not. Am I wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
imagejpeg_2(1).jpg (97.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Olds5798; August 19th, 2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old August 19th, 2014, 10:44 AM

Hey D2 I didn't say you sold me the governor or the gasket just gave me the name of the Transmission parts guy.
Also, don't want to confuse the issue but you said the G-2 Governor is driven by the tailshaft. Its driven by the rear pump drive that is not pumping in idle or park but is turning the governor sensing engine speed whether regulating pressure or not. Am I wrong?
Thanks for clarifying where you got the governor.

As for the governor turning, well it should NOT be turning at Idle. The rear pump drive may drive the governor but should not turn at Idle. Governor is to sense tailshaft speed, not engine RPM. Here is the rear pump description, which has the rear pump turned by the tail shaft, as is the governor.

dc hydro rear pump.jpg

Last edited by d2_willys; August 19th, 2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old August 20th, 2014, 12:09 PM

Thanks for that clarification d-2. That clarifies the reason when car speed increases and G-2 governor directs pressure to 2-3 shift valve and 3-4 governor valve. I could swear when I had the G-2 exposed I turned the flywheel and thought I saw the governor turn. My shop manual doesn't have that paragraph. Makes sense also why you would want rear pump operating when pushing the car. But when you tow this trans don't they want the rear wheels off the ground as not to damage rear pump?
Old August 21st, 2014, 10:45 AM

Thanks for that clarification d-2. That clarifies the reason when car speed increases and G-2 governor directs pressure to 2-3 shift valve and 3-4 governor valve. I could swear when I had the G-2 exposed I turned the flywheel and thought I saw the governor turn. My shop manual doesn't have that paragraph. Makes sense also why you would want rear pump operating when pushing the car. But when you tow this trans don't they want the rear wheels off the ground as not to damage rear pump?
You did see the governor turn when you rotated the flywheel! Both dual range and DC hydro have the front planetary in reduction when the engine is off. The way the transmission paths are configured, the output shaft will turn in neutral, drive, super, Lo, and reverse (if DC hydro). This is of course if the driveshaft is not connected or the rear wheels are off the ground. When the engine is running, the front pump pressure puts the transmission in a neutral mode.

You can tow rear pump equipped vehicles, but must stay at 25mph, or the transmission will burn up.

Last edited by d2_willys; August 21st, 2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old August 25th, 2014, 11:20 PM

You did see the governor turn when you rotated the flywheel! Both dual range and DC hydro have the front planetary in reduction when the engine is off. The way the transmission paths are configured, the output shaft will turn in neutral, drive, super, Lo, and reverse (if DC hydro). This is of course if the driveshaft is not connected or the rear wheels are off the ground. When the engine is running, the front pump pressure puts the transmission in a neutral mode.

You can tow rear pump equipped vehicles, but must stay at 25mph, or the transmission will burn up.
Thanks for that mini class D-2, but what is a DC Hydro, is that like Direct something? Ok the front pump pressure put trans in neutral. Man if I knew that 2 yrs ago I forgot that. Oh and while I got the stage do you know why if you go over 25 mph the trans burns up? Just wondering?
Old August 25th, 2014, 11:26 PM

Hey Tedd, did you get that repair back yet. I'm getting my car ready to go to Lead East Thursday. Its the Worlds biggest 50s Party and I got a parking spot for the first time this year. Man its fun, I wish I could meet you guys there. Hey can you get a good look at the front of my car in the posted picture. Can you see something uniquely different about it. Just want to see if you can guess.

Last edited by Olds5798; August 25th, 2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old August 26th, 2014, 08:54 AM

Hey Tedd, did you get that repair back yet. I'm getting my car ready to go to Lead East Thursday. Its the Worlds biggest 50s Party and I got a parking spot for the first time this year. Man its fun, I wish I could meet you guys there. Hey can you get a good look at the front of my car in the posted picture. Can you see something uniquely different about it. Just want to see if you can guess.
I'm having it worked on as I type, Its a tossup whether I will need a complete harness or maybe if I'm lucky only part, depends on how deep the the burn goes and where it stops.

Looks like you are from NJ (right coast) I'm on the left side of the states so no chance I'll be there anytime soon. Be sure to post a few pictures when you get back.....Tedd

PS, DC stands for dual coupling hydro.

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; August 26th, 2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old August 29th, 2014, 12:35 PM

Thanks for that mini class D-2, but what is a DC Hydro, is that like Direct something? Ok the front pump pressure put trans in neutral. Man if I knew that 2 yrs ago I forgot that. Oh and while I got the stage do you know why if you go over 25 mph the trans burns up? Just wondering?
As Tedd pointed out, DC hydro is dual coupling hydro 56-60 Olds, 56-64 Cadillac, 56-64 Pontiacs.

As far as the transmission burning up, well motors manuals and other literature call out not to tow faster than 25mph and for only so many miles. I towed my 53 Hudson SuperJet with dual range hydro for about 75 miles at 45mph and spotted smoke coming from the vehicle. Smoke was coming from transmission, so I disconnected drive shaft. Fortunately no damage to hydro.
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:24 PM

Hope things are better now with the harness. I seem to have a problem getting my car pics done, nothing special of course that I was going to share with everybody.
Lead East was a real blast, music, concerts, cars, Good food and plenty to drink.
Don
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:30 PM

Red face

As Tedd pointed out, DC hydro is dual coupling hydro 56-60 Olds, 56-64 Cadillac, 56-64 Pontiacs.

As far as the transmission burning up, well motors manuals and other literature call out not to tow faster than 25mph and for only so many miles. I towed my 53 Hudson SuperJet with dual range hydro for about 75 miles at 45mph and spotted smoke coming from the vehicle. Smoke was coming from transmission, so I disconnected drive shaft. Fortunately no damage to hydro.
Ah yes, dual coupling and that is fluid coupling ain't it. Gee I think I forgot alot about this trans. Oh well never mind, I better review some stuff but thats interesting about the Hudson, Thanks D2.
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:43 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I'm having it worked on as I type, Its a tossup whether I will need a complete harness or maybe if I'm lucky only part, depends on how deep the the burn goes and where it stops.

Looks like you are from NJ (right coast) I'm on the left side of the states so no chance I'll be there anytime soon. Be sure to post a few pictures when you get back.....Tedd

PS, DC stands for dual coupling hydro.
I guess its slow progress getting that harness accessed for inspection. Sorry about that Ted. Did it take out the voltage regulator also, although that would be the least of the headaches huh?
Yes well like I said, that Lead East was great as we stayed accross the complex in the Marriot for 3 nites, had the car at the event by the Hilton and had a shuttle bus running back and forth every half hour if ya didn't wish to drive. Great weather untill time to go home at 4, it started raining. I brought my car home in the early hours as I can't drive it in the rain and had my other car there also with the airconditioning as it was hot in the day time. I put a pic up I just took and attached it. You can go in and look at my profile pic though can't you for a larger view, not sure..
Ok well hope you up for a cruise soon, let us know.
Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
imagejpeg_2(3).jpg (98.6 KB, 15 views)
Old September 5th, 2014, 11:19 AM

Ah yes, dual coupling and that is fluid coupling ain't it. Gee I think I forgot alot about this trans. Oh well never mind, I better review some stuff but thats interesting about the Hudson, Thanks D2.
The dual coupling hydro has two fluid couplings, one in front that just couples the engine to transmission, the other is about 6" in diameter and is used as a front clutch when full. It dumps and fills as transmission goes through the shifting sequence. This is the primary reason of the smooth shifting compared to the older hydro.
Old September 15th, 2014, 12:36 PM

Thumbs up

The dual coupling hydro has two fluid couplings, one in front that just couples the engine to transmission, the other is about 6" in diameter and is used as a front clutch when full. It dumps and fills as transmission goes through the shifting sequence. This is the primary reason of the smooth shifting compared to the older hydro.
Yea, great discription D2, thats accounts for the fact when I go to lay a patch when wheeling out of the gas station making a left or right turn I could get an overrev looking for second?