Bending stainless tranny cooling line?

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2023, 08:42 AM

Bending stainless tranny cooling line?

I have problems with my tranny lines being too close to my headers. I put the DEI insulation on the lines near the headers but somehow caused a tranny fluid leak on one of the lines. I removed the DEI insulation and ordered a set of stainless lines off the internet, and they won't solve the line clearance to the headers. I want move the lines outward and over the A arm pivots. I also order another set from Inline Tube and will see how this set compares. My question is, how hard is it to bend and work with stainless steel tubing. If re-bending either set doesn't work out, I'll sell them off and get straight lengths and bend my own. If I do that, should I go with regular steel or stainless. I've bent regular tubing before so I'm not sure. Stainless looks nice but I don't have the experience to be sure I'll be able to bend it with a hand bender. Ant thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by OLE442; January 25th, 2023 at 08:44 AM. Reason: weird sh8t when posting LOL
Old January 25th, 2023, 09:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Use high quality tubing benders. I have Imperial Eastman tubing benders that are an order of magnitude better than any of the more common tools. I got mine used on ebay. The new price is not for the faint of heart.

The biggest problem is flaring stainless tube. I've got one of these flaring tools and it's again orders of magnitude better than anything else. I got mine from Inline (the discounted display model at Carlisle one year) but numerous vendors sell this same tool under different brand names. You can't make a bad flare with this tool.

Old January 25th, 2023, 09:55 AM

I used that Nicop (think that's what they call it) tubing for brake lines on my old truck. That stuff is super easy to bend and flare. Though it won't shine up like stainless...
Old January 25th, 2023, 11:26 AM

Does anyone have a good tube bending tutorial?
I can never get my stuff to look sharp.
Old January 25th, 2023, 11:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rallye469
Does anyone have a good tube bending tutorial?
I can never get my stuff to look sharp.
I use a piece of welding wire or coat hanger wire to mock up the line before wasting the brake tubing. The Imperial bending tools have a protractor scale that really helps with getting the angles correct. The one problem I have is maintaining clocking from one angle to the next. These two links are pretty good for tips.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/prop...g-brake-lines/

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...cation.318231/
Old January 25th, 2023, 11:51 AM

Jegs has length of stainless line, that is easy to bend and looks great, check them out, Tim

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/63054/10002/-1 one example