1976 Cutlass Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2020, 05:42 AM

1976 Cutlass Transmission Problem

I have a 1976 Cutlass Supreme with 350 combo. I am having problems with shifting into 3rd gear. It shifts perfectly into second. I can downshift from D to 2 but nothing from 2 to 1. I bought the car with a aftermarket B&M floor shifter ( was originally column ) the floor shifter reads P R N D 2 1. The kickdown cable has been bypassed. Curious to know if anyone has had the same problem or some advice on what to check for
Old April 16th, 2020, 07:38 AM

Are you saying that the shifter physically won't go into first gear position OR the shifter will go into the correct position and the transmission doesn't shift accordingly?

Can you count and feel each detent of
P R N D 2 1 ? I'm thinking and hoping it is a shifter adjustment issue.

​​​​​​Is it definitely a TH350?

Good luck!
Old April 16th, 2020, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Are you saying that the shifter physically won't go into first gear position OR the shifter will go into the correct position and the transmission doesn't shift accordingly?

Good luck!
I can go thru the gears while parked easily yes. But once I’m actually driving the car in D it will not shift into 3rd gear. I only feel 1st and 2nd I never feel the 3rd gear come in while driving. So the transmission does not shift accordingly.
And yes it is a TH350.

I can go they the gears while parked all P R N D 2 1 but once driving in D I only feel and hear the car detent from D to 2. I can still detent manually into 1 but nothing will happen
Old April 16th, 2020, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear

Good luck!
I can go thru the gears while parked easily yes. But once I’m actually driving the car in D it will not shift into 3rd gear. I only feel 1st and 2nd I never feel the 3rd gear come in while driving. So the transmission does not shift accordingly.
And yes it is a TH350.

I can go they the gears while parked all P R N D 2 1 but once driving in D I only feel and hear the car detent from D to 2. I can still detent manually into 1 but nothing will happen