New 1974 Toronado

Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:49 PM

New 1974 Toronado

I just bought this car. still learning everything about it.This is my first old car.My Problem Right Now is i don't know were to start with the Interior the Engine Exterior. I was Gonna get New Wheels and Tires but the websites only go as far back as 81 for Discounttire so I Need Help Bad.It would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Zach
Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Oldsdruid

Car came with J78-15 tires. Closest available size now is a 235/75R15. If you want to keep speedometer accuracy (and True-Track brakes working properly if it has them), you'll need to find a tire/wheel combination with same overall height and diameter.

If you're thinking of the custom wheel route, you're kind of limited because of the extreme positive offset of the Toronado wheel. It's also a heavy car, so you need to make sure you're getting GOOD stuff, not that non-DOT Chinese junk that all the custom wheel places are selling at incredibly inflated prices.

What exactly does car need?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM

We MUST see pics! Post them NOW!
Old November 3rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Olds64
We MUST see pics! Post them NOW!
You'll have to excuse him, he gets kind of excited when new people show up with a new Oldsmobile, especially a C body or a Toro. So........why aren't those pictures up yet?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:17 PM

Here are a few pics oh and i do know she needs a fan clutch were is the best place to get one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Front before 004.JPG (69.6 KB, 52 views)
Front before 002.JPG (65.8 KB, 53 views)
Front before 003.JPG (72.1 KB, 40 views)
Front before 001.JPG (69.4 KB, 37 views)
Old November 4th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Past Administrator

OH man! Nice find. For the fan clutch, first check the thread 1964-77 Olds parts for sale. He might have what you need. Or else a local junk yard.
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:50 AM

Beatiful car!

You might also check your local parts store for a fan clutch. It is a simple enough part that they might be able to get it for you.
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM

Ya I Just Don't no what to do yet....
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:09 PM

My research in measurements said the proper size to replace

JR78-15 is P225 75 15. I have two '74's, one with ACRS. I had a great white one like this one here but it had the standard roof with gold labels and a factory sunroof. A good freind borrowed it and totaled it.
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:52 PM

ok

Sweet Thank You oh And New Question I Got A Bunch of stuff replaced and was gonna put a new carp on a 750 edelbrock anythink i should do before?
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Oldsdruid

Before you start throwing parts at it, figure out exactly what it needs mechanically. No sense changing out to a (in my opinion worse) carb other than the QuadraJet if all it needs is a good tuneup and maybe a carburetor rebuild.

Make sure the car is roadworthy first. Brakes, suspension, tires, stuff like that. Then start on the engine- run a compression check, new plugs/rotor, maybe distributor cap and spark plug wires if it needs them, and try to use something other than the chain parts stores' cheap house brand. You can find new old stock Delco plug wires on ebay for about the same money you'd pay for X-Act or some other such low-grade stuff. NAPA has a lot of quality stuff for older cars and their parts guys will usually know a bit more than yer average parts monkey about them.

Hook up with the guys in the Rocky Mountain Olds Club. president@rockymtnoldsclub.org They're based in Arvada and will know who does good work and can be trusted with an older car. That way you won't end up like the 77 Lincoln owner over on the AACA boards who couldn't find anyone who'd touch his Lincoln, because they couldn't plug it up to a computer or scan tool to diagnose it- WTF?
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by RockStarCustoms
Here are a few pics oh and i do know she needs a fan clutch were is the best place to get one?
Nice car.
Fan clutches are easy to get. Even buy them new aftermarket for about 50.00 or you could go to the boneyard and pick up one for about 5.00.

As far as wheels? Personally I'd go with radials like what rocketraider was suggesting. The Toro is incredibly front end heavy. Looks like the wheel covers are in good shape. Keep an eye peeled for spares in case you lose one; they're hard to find.

Have fun with your project. Keep us posted.
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:07 PM

The Quadrajet is a great carb.

Many mechanics will tell you to put aftermarket parts on it but without changing the camshaft it would be a big waste of time and money. The factory original parts give the best overall performance. The Quadrajet can be rebuilt with an inexpensive kit. If the car has over 100 thousand miles the carb may need throttle shaft bushings which guys here could help you with. I would get the rust treated on the car before anything else.
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Ya the car olnly has 52 thousand orig miles on it.. i did all the tune up stuff So Thank you guys on that one all i really need to do now that i just got it overhauled is paint interior and performance lol....
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:51 PM

looks close to the twin of my 76 I put Uniroyal Tigerpaws with HD sidewalls on and I love them, put them on my 88 as well, gives the car a lot more better feel, less roll on corners, more stable

Old May 11th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow! Jeffreyalman
2 76 Olds in gleaming white! They are stunning, and that Toro sideline is classic. Post more pics please and include that big ol custom cruiser. I had one of those; it was a 73. A little hard on gas though.

I was just thinking about something. How come the Toronado was never offered as a verte????

It would be the sister to the Caddy Eldorado, which you could get as a verte. Anyone know the answer to this?
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:19 AM

they did eventually offer it as a convertible, 84 85 86 I believe???? But I like the big ones

pics in link in sig
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
they did eventually offer it as a convertible, 84 85 86 I believe???? But I like the big ones

pics in link in sig
80's are just not the same. I'm with you on this one, the big boats as a verte?? Pure pleasure.

More info on Toro vert: CO thread https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nvertible.html