66 Toronado Carburetor Picture Needed

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2014, 12:00 PM

66 Toronado Carburetor Picture Needed

Hi, I'm in the process of re-installing my Rochester Quad on my 66 Toronado. I just got it rebuilt and I want to put it on the engine myself.
My only problem is that there are a couple of hoses that I don't know where they connect to the carb. One hose is connected to a thin metal tube that runs from the back of the engine and the other is a rubber hose that also is connect to the back. Does anyone have a picture of their engine with these clearly visible so I can properly hook them up. Thanks
Old November 17th, 2014, 01:37 PM

See if either of these two pics help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0664.jpg (89.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0662.jpg (86.7 KB, 62 views)
Old November 18th, 2014, 11:04 AM

Thanks, that helps a bit.
However in the second picture you sent, just below the fuel filter there's a small square metal piece (part of the engine block) that has a plug in it. On my car that part is not plugged. It definitely had a hose attached.

It is attached to the same long hose you see at the bottom of the picture of your car that is running from the back of the engine into the front of the carb.

In my car, that same spot in front of the carb is blocked and the small square metal part is not.
Old November 18th, 2014, 11:40 AM

Pics of your engine would help but really, it sounds like vacuum is being fed from the intake manifold ports instead of the carburetor. Not a big deal for either the shift modulator on the transmission or the vacuum advance on the distributor. But, if you're going for factory correct than you'll want to reroute these vacuum hoses to the correct port. I'm more curious to know if the carburetor has been replaced, and if so, if that's why your hoses are rerouted. Also, the Toro has a unique carburetor throttle lever so even though other Q-Jet's will bolt on they don't have this correct throttle lever. This means the kick-down rod won't connect to the carb and so the Switch-Pitch won't work either.

Chris
Old November 19th, 2014, 06:12 AM

The vacuum advance should be connected to the manifold, the square piece you mentioned. The vacuum for the transmission vacuum modulator (the hard line) should be connected to the carb.
Old November 19th, 2014, 11:27 AM

ok, thanks. I believe that's how it was originally set up. Also I didn't know the names of the parts. As soon as the weather gets a tad warmer I'll give it a try.