Need Help with 88 Trofeo Door Lock Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2014, 09:38 AM

Need Help with 88 Trofeo Door Lock Cylinders

Hello - newbie to this forum, and have not been able to find reference to my issue here yet. I'm counting on the wisdom of the members.
This is my father-in-laws 88 Trofeo that he bought new in late 87, and will stay in the family for a while. We just got the Historic Vehicle plates.
We started the summer with frozen/seized door lock cylinders. After a couple rounds with PB Blaster I gave in to corrosion. I researched Rock Auto, Summit Racing, and other sites I have used in the past and saw every part looked the same. Ordered a set hoping for a quick replacement.
When I pulled the old ones out, I knew I had a challenge. Ours have a long (approx 1/2") shaft, with a wire crimped to the base of the bezel, and the replacements are short shaft (3/16"). I am assuming that ours are special for power locks, or some feature I haven't discovered yet.
Has anyone had this experience, and are there any recommendations for sourcing replacements (NOS, salvage, or other)?
Any recommendations for other solutions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
88TrofeoLock.jpg (2.6 KB, 19 views)
Old September 17th, 2014, 10:09 AM

Probably won't go anywhere, but have you tried a local GM dealer? This car is not so old that parts for it might still be available, or at least orderable, through the parts counter at your local Chevy or Buick dealer.

I had luck getting a few parts for my '67 Delta 88 a few years ago and a previously-owned '75 Delta 88 in the late '90s from the local GM dealer, and in the case of the '67, this was about 5 years after Olds itself died and for a car that was more than 40 years old. Wouldn't hurt to stop into to a dealer parts counter with your old part in hand and see what they might be able to match up. Maybe these were used on other GM makes as well. Just a thought.
Old September 17th, 2014, 06:39 PM
1992 Toronado Trofeo

Besides going to ebay, try using adhuntr.com. I would type in Trofeo into the search bar and let it scour craigslist for you. There are cars being sold and parted out all the time- you just have to be patient in your search. Dumb question here, have you tried talking to your local locksmith? While they may not have the skill or parts for a rebuild, they could have a source that will help you. If I happen to see an 86 or 87 in any of my local junkyards, I will PM you.