1966 rocker moulding trim removal question

Old March 7th, 2014, 03:36 PM

1966 rocker moulding trim removal question

I'm removing all the trim on my '66 in preparation for painting the car. Can someone tell me how to remove the long rocker moulding without bending or breaking anything? I know there are some clips behind it, but does it just pop off, or do you pull up on the moulding or must you use a special tool? Also, in front and behind the door, the rocker moulding appears to be two pieces, or does it come off in one piece?

Dave
Old March 7th, 2014, 03:44 PM

I pulled a set off a 1967 last summer. First, look underneath the car and you'll find a series of small bolts I believe it took a 1/4" socket to remove them. Be sure they're all out, then gently pull out the bottom, working your way from one end to the other. Then I think I had to push up to release it from the clips attached to the body. The strip running across the door bottom is one piece, everything else is connected as a second piece. I still have these pieces and most of the car. If you need to see photos of anything to make it more clear let me know. John
Old March 7th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Administrator

The ones on the door, remove the screws on each end and if you look underneath you'll see slotted gaps. Just slide until the bottoms of the clips are in the gaps and tilt out the bottom and lift. On the others there are spring clips, remove the screws and slide back or forward carefully. The one on the rear is held in by barrel or speed nuts. The one on the very front remove the screw and if I remember barrel or speed nuts on the remaining clips.
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:09 PM

Thanks everyone. I got them off with no problems. Actually was fairly easy. I was afraid I was going to encounter some weird clips with a unique method of removal.

Next I need to figure out how to remove the chrome trim along the window openings. Doe they just push up and off? I'll have the door panel off as I am also removing the door handle and lock cylinder. I think I am going to leaving the rain gutter trim on the car and just have it masked off for the repaint. It looks it could be a pain to remove and easy to bend.

Dave
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:42 PM

It's been several years since I removed these from a Toronado. But I suspect they're the same as the Cutlass and have Phillips head screws holding them to the door. Roll the window down as far as you can, and look in the fuzzy portion of the trim. Start at one of the ends as I believe there should be one very close to each end. They're short and have flat heads but go through the fuzzy into the door metal. In some cars I've had to drop the glass lower than it would roll down, so I had to remove some of the internal stops. Let us know if this doesn't work for you.

John
Old March 9th, 2014, 05:33 AM

You may in some cases have to un-bolt the vent window assembly to access a screw.

Henry
Old March 11th, 2014, 03:18 PM

Thanks all. Got everything off without any damage.