1968 Toronado Front Drum Brake Hose Clips

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2013, 10:29 AM

1968 Toronado Front Drum Brake Hose Clips

Well I had a little trouble with my front right brake hose yesterday. It appears that a worn out hose clip failed and the steering linkage decided to show the hose who is boss. I definitely want to replace both front drum brake hose clips that connect to the control arms so history does not repeat itself. However, I spent like two hours last night trying to find these clips with absolutely no luck. Does anyone still make these clips or know where I can find some???

Old December 31st, 2013, 01:40 PM
MOTORHEAD

sorry i do not have the bracket for you.
I would inspect 4 and address any problems with the axle shaft / boot area if that was my car
have a happy new year

Originally Posted by 68RocketAction
Well I had a little trouble with my front right brake hose yesterday. It appears that a worn out hose clip failed and the steering linkage decided to show the hose who is boss. I definitely want to replace both front drum brake hose clips that connect to the control arms so history does not repeat itself. However, I spent like two hours last night trying to find these clips with absolutely no luck. Does anyone still make these clips or know where I can find some???

Old December 31st, 2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
sorry i do not have the bracket for you.
I would inspect 4 and address any problems with the axle shaft / boot area if that was my car
have a happy new year
I am definitely going to have that done. I have taken it to a couple of people that do front end work, but they said they would have no idea where to find rubber parts and seals for the job. I figured that somebody made a front-end kit for these first generation Toronado's, but so far I have not found anything like that. The car does not seem to have any kind of alignment issues, but having wheel bearings exposed as well as dry rotted mounts from years of setting definitely concerns me. It seems like every part that I need or start looking for becomes a crazy mystical maze. The part is obsolete, the GM part number has changed so many times its not even cross-referenceable at this point, or it is available but only at a completely unethical price. However I have had good luck with finding reasonably priced used Toronado parts, gotten amazing direction, and guidance from this site. That is why I keep coming back and hopefully not making too much of an annoyance of myself.

I absolutely love these stylish first generation Toronado's. It is really somewhat sad that these iconic time capsules with their aggressive wheel arches and breath taking curves are very under appreciated by allot of the classic car world today. However, for me even with all the hassle of finding replacement parts the enjoyment I get out of it makes it completely worth it.

I hope you have a wonderful New Years as well...
Old December 31st, 2013, 08:35 PM

oh, that is ugly
you may wish to redo that cv joint boot as well. Couple tubes of silicone, eh?

I have used parts but for that application I would try
1) find out the PN via say the PN manuals at wildaboutcars.com
then search the interwebbage for that part, NOS, and pay what they want.

2) good used parts from the desert SW or NW

3) Fabricate as needed, preferably in stainless.
Old December 31st, 2013, 08:49 PM

Check this out, these clips look close...BTW Octania avert your eyes...
http://inlinetube.com/clips%20brake%...fuel/clips.htm
Old January 1st, 2014, 02:58 PM

I've got a 1967 Toronado parts car. Sorry, the axles have already been spoken for, but it looks like it may have the same brake line clip. This is a disc brake car (those are available) so I don't know if it would be different. Once I get them off the car I'll take better photos, but here's a couple for you to compare to yours. John

P1010114.jpg

P1010115.jpg
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I've got a 1967 Toronado parts car. Sorry, the axles have already been spoken for, but it looks like it may have the same brake line clip. This is a disc brake car (those are available) so I don't know if it would be different. Once I get them off the car I'll take better photos, but here's a couple for you to compare to yours. John
That looks exactly like what I need. I would think the clips are probably the same for both drum and disc brakes. I will also take a look at the disc brake diagram for the 68 and see if the part numbers are the same. I could probably fabricate something that would work, but I really feel better using the correct clips. Especially when it comes to something important as the brakes...
Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:17 PM

Axles.... hmmmm I think the trunk of one of my parts cars has the axles in it.
I have 5 or 6 66-67 Toros for parts. Little is left of most of them; most is left of one of them.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
oh, that is ugly
you may wish to redo that cv joint boot as well. Couple tubes of silicone, eh?

I have used parts but for that application I would try
1) find out the PN via say the PN manuals at wildaboutcars.com
then search the interwebbage for that part, NOS, and pay what they want.

2) good used parts from the desert SW or NW

3) Fabricate as needed, preferably in stainless.
I went ahead and ordered both inner and outer cv joint boots from rockauto the other night. I saw yesterday that kanter.com sales front end kits for the first generation Toronado’s. After I get the issue with the brakes taken care of I think I'll take it back to one of the front end guys and have them install the new boots. I will also ask them to inspect everything and make me a list of items that need replaced. then kind of go from there... I do have a copy of the 66-75 Oldsmobile Parts and corresponding Illustrated manuals. Although I am not really the best at navigating through them...

Originally Posted by Paladin31
Check this out, these clips look close...BTW Octania avert your eyes...
http://inlinetube.com/clips%20brake%...fuel/clips.htm
I called them and they said that the only sell complete line kits for 68's that are equipped with front disc brakes. The person I was talking to said they probably sold the clip, but I would have to just find it from there catalog myself... I had them to go ahead and order the rear drum brake hose for me. Which I have not been able to find anywhere else... So slowly but surely things are coming together...
Old January 2nd, 2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I just checked the diagram for the 68 disc brake setup and the clips are the same. Therefore, I would be more than happy to take those off your hands...