1971 Toro Cali PickAPart

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2013, 12:02 AM

1971 Toro Cali PickAPart

Ran across this today, mostly intact, nice looking black interior, dash etc. 455 all there G heads. I'm an A body guy so don't know what all is desirable but it looks like it could have been restored, no major body problems, rust etc. I pulled the radiator overflow bottle with brackets, cap etc as it will interchange.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 05:34 AM

Good investment parts are the outside door handles with the driver side(also fits 71-73 Buick Riviera 71-78 Toro) most important, and may have a nice set of black seat belts? And the car should have big valve cylinder heads.

Henry

Last edited by 66400; December 22nd, 2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:24 AM

Thanks, pretty sure the belts were still there, maybe not the back cause the rear seat bottom was on top of the car, someone must have needed something from under the seat. the door handles are still on but the driver door wouldn't open. from 442.com the G heads are common big valve heads.

G '71 455 80 409100 Generic 455 use, big valves in the usual applications
Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:02 AM

Power trunk assy. may be worth getting. Tilt lever if nice, power seat, window, & lock switches go for decent money on ebay.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:29 AM

What city was the yard in Cali? I could use the seatbelts if it's close to me. I'm in Modesto. Thanks
Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by epinkston
from 442.com the G heads are common big valve heads.

G '71 455 80 409100 Generic 455 use, big valves in the usual applications
Please refrain from using error riddled info from 20 yrs ago as a source.

Let's check the factory Chassis Service Manual...

or this

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...__Toronado.pdf

1971 Toronado uses 1.995-2.000" intakes

CSM, pg 6B-43:
Only the 442 models got larger intakes.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...Section_6C.pdf

After 1970, large valves were quite rare.

Be sure to check the older cars for the big-eared original AC radiator caps.
Even bad ones can be rebuilt and are evidently easy to sell.

Last edited by Octania; December 22nd, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by 4speed455
What city was the yard in Cali? I could use the seatbelts if it's close to me. I'm in Modesto. Thanks
The car is in the Irwindale yard off the 605 near the 210 freeway.

I grabbed the complete Deluxe belts and they are black. The car even had the rear seat shoulder belts that bolt on the package tray.

I'm going to list the set of belts minus the rear shoulder belts on ebay. You can PM me if you would like to make me an offer. The car was a real grandma car complete with dog hair, but all the belts are super nice and just need some cleaning. They're all dated 1971.

No power seat. Has / had? AM/FM 8 Track, Tilt Tele column, PW, no power trunk, PS box gone, I got the trunk & under hood lights, wrong dated carb, air cleaner, front discs, A/C. F/R lights & grille all there on Saturday.

Hey epinkston,
nice meeting you at the yard. Thanks for the tip about cleaning the plastic. How did the bottle & cap turn out? Good thing it didn't crack when you stepped on it!

Small world....

I'll probably be heading back on Tuesday if someone wants something. I want to take some pics of the rear seat shoulder belt mounting hole locations.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:33 PM

@Sci-flyer: Sure is a small world . Figured I would mention this car here to see if anyone had any interest. Not too interested in parting it myself lol. I got the bottle and its cleaning up good so I'm happy and would hate to see the rest of it go to scrap if someone can use it. BTW, here's a link to ways to whiten plastic. http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...lowed-plastic/ I'm using the peroxide method and it works well. Just don't get the stuff on your skin, much less your eyes! BBTW: I still don't know what that thing is below the overflow bottle, looks like it has a prop valve on top of it with brake lines. Not interested enough to look it up though

@Octania: 442, Wild About cars, Service manual, or my drunk uncle, they all have "some" useful information. I'm no expert so I advise all to check their own info. As far as I know you cant tell anything about any head until you take it off and check it yourself. Any of those sources are good places to start though. I look at all of them to get a general idea of what's what and if I feel its worth the gamble I will roll the dice.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions, not much time to do any parting or selling of my own, barely have anytime for my own projects. Happy hunting.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 05:13 AM

i would like to purchase the speedometer.I live in Asheville NC.Just let me know the details. Thanks for your help
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by ostie13
i would like to purchase the speedometer.I live in Asheville NC.Just let me know the details. Thanks for your help
PM sent
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:32 PM

Dont want to show my ignorance but,how do I read or send a PM?
Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ostie13
Dont want to show my ignorance but,how do I read or send a PM?
For some reason, it doesn't show that I sent you any messages.

You can contact me on ebay with the same name sci-flyer and I'll get you my number, or send me your number here in a a Private Message.

To send a message when you are logged in, click the persons name and a drop down menu shows up and choose send a private message.

To read your messages, look at the top right corner of the window for PM notifications when you're logged in.

-John