77 Toronado Exhaust Tips

Old December 22nd, 2018, 11:15 AM

77 Toronado Exhaust Tips

Was wandering thru the local auto supply store the other day and discovered these great looking exhaust tips that I thought would really help with the cosmetics on my 77 Toronado. Anything would be better than the ugly pipes sticking out the back now as you can see from this photo.

I really liked the square tips like Jaunty has on his but the price on these was so good, I compromised and went with the oval tips. So I grabbed 2 and when the weather warms up I can crawl underneath and get them attached.

My car unlike some others has dual exhaust.There are short extension pipes off the back of the resonators, so hopefully it will simply be a matter of removing these and cutting them down to the right length and attaching the new tips so that they end just at the back of the bumper and don't stick out the way they do now. The exhaust shop that did this work for my father should clearly get out of the business. Not only did they make them too long they did not even bother to bend them a bit.
Gee, with the new paint and the chrome tips on the exhaust it really makes the bumper look sad and desperately in need of re-chroming.

Last edited by ByronF; December 22nd, 2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2018, 11:48 AM

Just to remind everyone what that exhaust tip looks like!

Old May 23rd, 2019, 01:32 PM

Now that the Toronado is out of the shop, I finally got a chance to install my shiny new chrome exhaust tips. Sure do look better than the ugly old pipes that were hanging out before. So one project down and fifteen more to go.

Old May 23rd, 2019, 06:09 PM

Looks great! Must be nice to have the big problem behind you and you can get to fun stuff like this.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 07:48 PM

Jaunty, it sure is nice to have the big problem behind me. Don't ask me what it cost though cause I will start to cry again - lol! But really to have a choke that engages by depressing the pedal just a quarter of the way and then start right up when I turn the key is wonderful. With the new carb and distributor the car runs fantastic - no hesitation, no stumbles, no stalls, smooth idle and lots of get up and go. I have taken it out for a cruise every night since I got it out of the shop, so I have been through a whole tank of fuel in less than a week.
So now I can get on with the fun stuff and there are lots of them on the list.
Have you ever replaced power window motors on you car. My passenger side works just fine but the drivers side is ready to give up. Also need to do something to get the power locks going again. Any tips or advice?
Old May 23rd, 2019, 07:55 PM

I have never replaced a power window motor. Both of the power windows on my car work fine. Ditto for the power locks.

All of this should be in the Fisher Body manual.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 08:15 PM

I looked in my '78 Fisher Body manual, and getting at the power lock actuator isn't the simplest thing. But there is a huge trouble-shooting section which I would go through first, of course, because the problem might just be that power is not getting to the actuator rather than the actuator itself being dead. According to the manual, the power locks are protected by a circuit breaker, and the same circuit breaker protects the power seats. If your car has power seats and they work, then you can rule out the circuit breaker as the problem.

The power lock troubleshooting procedure is in the Electrical section in the body manual, but the instructions on how to actually get at and remove the actuator are in the Doors section.
Old August 13th, 2020, 10:09 AM

So after putting on my shiny new exhaust tips last year, it was now time to do something about the mufflers. My 77 Toronado has duals, don't ask me why. And of course with my luck both mufflers developed holes and the sound was awful loud. This is not the sort of car where you want that un-muffled hot rod sound - in my opinion. It went to my local shop and lo and behold they were able to secure two new Walker mufflers that were drop in replacements and were the quiet type. Took them all of an hour to install them both mufflers. The rest of the system was fine including the resonators which was a big relief. The new mufflers were very reasonably priced @ $60 each and were delivered in a day. Now when I start the car it is so quiet you don't think it is running.
Here are some pics of the new mufflers.

It has been a busy summer of fixes and I still have to do the body side moulding and pin striping. No rest for the wicked I guess.
Old August 13th, 2020, 10:39 AM

Looks great!

I know what you mean about loud exhaust sound. When I first got my '78 running again after its 14-year sit, it was louder than I liked and not appropriate for a personal luxury car. I took it to a local muffler shop, and they told me the exhaust system had two leaks, one at the exhaust manifold, that they couldn't fix, and leaky gasket at one of the connections, which they did fix. Otherwise, the exhaust system was in pretty good shape. I then took the car to my favorite shop, and they removed the passenger side exhaust manifold, sent it out for resurfacing, and then reinstalled it with a new gasket. They said there is still a small exhaust leak due to a pitted cylinder head, but I've not done anything about this. The two fixes that were done quieted the car considerably, and I'm happy with the sound.