When do you know its time?

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2018, 10:02 PM

When to replace steering box and leaf springs...

I love my Autumn Bronze 66. Life got busy and I didn't even drive it last year. Took it out this year and it just glides! The range rover next to me on the interstate couldn't figure out how I was passing him at 75mph! That all being said, having not driven my Toro in nearly 2 years two things caught my attention. The butt seemed to be sitting lower than I remember and there seems to be a lot of play in the steering despite new rod ends. Maybe this all was preexisting but it got me wondering. When does one know its time to replace the steering box and when do you replace the rear leaf springs? I don't want to just do it and find out it doesn't help. Maybe that's how the car was in 1966. Even my 12yo son asked me why I had to move the steering wheel so much when driving in a straight line. I just aligned it too.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jeff

Last edited by TheBirds; August 23rd, 2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by TheBirds
When do you know its time?
And here I thought this thread was going to be about when to put your pet down.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:38 PM
Phantom Phixer

I love my Autumn Bronze 66. Life got busy and I didn't even drive it last year. Took it out this year and it just glides! The range rover next to me on the interstate couldn't figure out how I was passing him at 75mph! That all being said, having not driven my Toro in nearly 2 years two things caught my attention. The butt seemed to be sitting lower than I remember and there seems to be a lot of play in the steering despite new rod ends. Maybe this all was preexisting but it got me wondering. When does one know its time to replace the steering box and when do you replace the rear leaf springs? I don't want to just do it and find out it doesn't help. Maybe that's how the car was in 1966. Even my 12yo son asked me why I had to move the steering wheel so much when driving in a straight line. I just aligned it too.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jeff
There is an adjustment on the steering box , that should take up the "play " in the steering . The procedure is in the 1966 Oldsmobile Chassis Shop Manual .
As long as the steering box isn't leaking oil , and it can be properly adjusted , there is no reason to replace it .

The suspension riding height is also specified , as well as how to check it , in the 1966 Oldsmobile shop manual .
If the ride height is OK , don't worry about the springs

Last edited by Charlie Jones; August 23rd, 2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old September 11th, 2018, 07:13 PM

Thank you very much. I will attempt to adjust and measure. Sometimes it looks to be riding like expected then from certain angles the rear looks low. I will measure the ride height and hopefully keep the springs.

Sorry for the confusion about the title of my post. I didn't mean to mislead, just trying to be funny...
Old September 12th, 2018, 07:41 AM

Can always crank down on the torsion bars and lower the front to match
Old September 13th, 2018, 10:01 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Took it out this year and it just glides!
I liken it to riding a comfortable couch down the road. Thats one of the things seared into my memory from circa 1968-1970 or so, the awesome ride. Other great memories are being in the car when mom would get rubber out of it on stop n turns. Dad revving the 425 while I crouched by the back bumper close enough so I could get stereo sound from the pipes. Waxing the bumpers at age 5 or so. The lack of a drive shaft tunnel, the cool speedo...and what was that little thingy in the middle of the dash under the little screen(the comfortron thermostat).
Cool car. I will have one again, bucket list style. Drive it!