'69 Toronado...extremely warm front wheel?

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2017, 11:18 AM

Question '69 Toronado...extremely warm front wheel?

My '69 Toronado is equipped with four wheel power "drum' brakes. While the car continued to stop reasonably well, I could feel a slight brake drag after coming off the pedal and I was noticing that the right front wheel seemed to be really warm (the wheel cover was hot to the touch..ouch). I assumed that was where I was getting some brake drag. I'm not getting any younger so I decided to not dig into the brakes myself. My local mechanic replaced the shoes, hardware, and cylinders on all four corners and had the drums turned.

The result:
My car brakes beautifully...really smooth and straight....no drag or pull in any direction!! I like it....

but, the right front wheel still seems to get overly warm! I was thinking perhaps a bearing problem but my mechanic doesn't think so...no bearing noise, etc.

Any thoughts or experience about what the issue might be? Your feed back will be appreciated!

Ron S
Crown Point, IN
Old June 14th, 2017, 11:26 AM

Ron, can you detect a ticking sound as the car moves? A bad bearing would also result in slop in the wheel. Try to wiggle the wheel up and down or side to side with the car lifted and the wheel suspended off of the ground. Make sure you use safety stands.
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

What is overly warm, and how do you measure that? Steel wheels hold a lot of heat even from the sun and Toro wheels are very heavy steel.
Old June 30th, 2017, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the responses.......i seemed to have solved the problem by replacing the front brake hose. It seems it must have had a slight interior
separation that didn't allow for a complete release after applying the brakes. So far, so good.

FYI...when I described warm, I should have said it was so hot you could not touch the wheel cover!
Old June 30th, 2017, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Thanks for following up.