Toronado Speedometer Problem

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2012, 09:19 AM

Question Toronado Speedometer Problem

The speedo on my 85 Toronado (5.0 Liter) has started jumping a lot when the car is cold. I suspect the cable, but don't know where to find its location on the tranny or dash. Any info would be appreciated.
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Hangin' out...

If your car has cruise control (I'm guessing Toros usually do), you will most likely see the transducer sitting on your inner fender. There will be two speedo cables. The first comes from the trans. If you follow it, you'll see that it goes down. The other one pokes through the firewall and goes to your speedo. You will need to remove your instrument cluster to get the cable disconnected. It wouldn't hurt to clean and lube it, but I've heard a worn speedometer gear in the trans may be shot, too. Most likely, you need to replace the cable. I don't think they are available new anymore. I think there is a universal cut-to-fit kit out there.
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by henryk8398
If your car has cruise control (I'm guessing Toros usually do), you will most likely see the transducer sitting on your inner fender. There will be two speedo cables.
Nope, sorry. This is a 1985 model. There's a VSS built into the speedo and the cruise control is all electronic - there's a module under the dash that is unrelated to the speedo cable. One cable, no transducer.

Pull the speedo from the dash, pull the cable from the sheath. Lube with wheel bearing grease. Reinstall.
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:25 AM

Thanks for Reply(s)

Looks like I have to pull the dash apart. I guess I knew I would anyhow. What's the best way to remove it? Might be time to get a shop involved.
Old December 5th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Nope, sorry. This is a 1985 model. There's a VSS built into the speedo and the cruise control is all electronic - there's a module under the dash that is unrelated to the speedo cable. One cable, no transducer.

Pull the speedo from the dash, pull the cable from the sheath. Lube with wheel bearing grease. Reinstall.
My mistake. Thanks for the info, Joe. Looks like GM cruise control went electronic in 1984. You learn something every day.

Gregor,

I'm not sure you have to tear apart the whole dash. You will only need to remove the instrument panel to get to the speedometer head. Do you own a Chassis Service Manual? That will tell you how to get in there.
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:15 AM

No Manual

I'm afraid I don't have a service manual. Is there someplace online where I could get the instructions?
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:28 AM

I've found the trick to getting the dash bezel off is 1. Set Parking Break 2. Lower tilt column completely. 3. Shift gear selector to 1st gear.

I fiddled with that thing forever and thought I was going to have to drop the column before I saw the light. Haha.

Once the bezel is off, it's just a few screws and the cluster will come right out.

Last edited by kartmaster; December 6th, 2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:51 AM

Thanks

Thank you Kartmaster for the tip! You probably saved me a lot of time and frustration. By the way, how can you tell a Calais from a Brougham? I thought I had a Brougham, but your picture looks just like mine.
Old December 7th, 2012, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by gregorcarp
Thank you Kartmaster for the tip! You probably saved me a lot of time and frustration. By the way, how can you tell a Calais from a Brougham? I thought I had a Brougham, but your picture looks just like mine.
Mine is a Caliente. It was a trim package that included some brushed aluminium above the grille, trunk lid and vinyl top. Additional rocker trim. Stainless "pinstipe" trim, emblems, and I think that's about it.

Good luck. These are great cars. I've had just about everything apart on mine except the engine at one point or another, so if you ever have any questions, shoot. I'm not mechanic, but I'll help if I can!
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:45 AM

It's a Broughm

Mine doesn't have the metal trim on the front or back so I'm guessing it's a Brougham. Update on the speedo problem: took it to my mechanic and he determined it to be the gears on the tranny. He's found 1 so far, but is still looking for the other one. Anybody know a possible source for these? Thanks.