toro xs?

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

toro xs?

found in a search today on CL. I've never seen one before, the sunroof is cool. a 403???

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4300775814.html
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Administrator

I bet he'd take less.
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:47 PM

The '77 Olds brochure mentions two Toronado models, the XSR (not XS) and the Brougham. However, the car in the ad seems to be one not mentioned in the brochure. The XSR had slide-away roof panels while the Brougham had just a regular metal roof. But the car in the ad has a moonroof, and, from his photo, clearly has "XS" badging.

The standard and only engine available on the Toronado was the 403.

Last edited by jaunty75; February 5th, 2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

I've read about the XSR (very cool) I like the XS, and seems like a decent start to an easy project. If its not listed in the brochure what is this car?

ok, I talked with the owner, he claims it was an option package you could order, (2yrs)

Last edited by barnfind; February 6th, 2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:01 AM

I looked up '77 Toronado production in Setting the Pace, and I found an amazing statistic, if it's accurate.

Brougham Coupe: 31,371
XS Coupe: 2,713
XSR Coupe: 1

Yes, that's right, the book shows that only one Toronado XSR was built. I looked this up in the book itself, and it says that the XSR, which had powered T-top roof panels, never made it into production. My guess is that the brochure I showed the pages out of was a an early version and that later versions showed the XS instead.

I wonder if that single XSR still exists. If so, I would image it would be almost like a Tucker. With only 20-something of those built, any one of them is very valuable. With only a single XSR made, it would be very valuable, too.

The car shown in the craigslist ad is an XS. That's makes it a relatively rare '77 Toronado as, out of a total of 34,085 built, only 2,713 (8%, or about 1 in 12) were the XS model. This would be a pretty cool car to own as you would probably rarely, if ever, see another one. His $2,000 asking price doesn't seem unreasonable.

Last edited by jaunty75; February 6th, 2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

I wonder how that 403 scoots that yacht down the road?

What are the trouble areas in toros?

Thanks for posting up the brochure..

Last edited by barnfind; February 6th, 2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I looked up '77 Toronado production in Setting the Pace, and I found an amazing statistic, if it's accurate.

Brougham Coupe: 31,371
XS Coupe: 2,713
XSR Coupe: 1

Yes, that's right, the book shows that only one Toronado XSR was built. I looked this up in the book itself, and it says that the XSR, which had powered T-top roof panels, never made it into production. My guess is that the brochure I showed the pages out of was a an early version and that later versions showed the XS instead.

I wonder if that single XSR still exists. If so, I would image it would be almost like a Tucker. With only 20-something of those built, any one of them is very valuable. With only a single XSR made, it would be very valuable, too.

The car shown in the craigslist ad is an XS. That's makes it a relatively rare '77 Toronado as, out of a total of 34,085 built, only 2,713 (8%, or about 1 in 12) were the XS model. This would be a pretty cool car to own as you would probably rarely, if ever, see another one. His $2,000 asking price doesn't seem unreasonable.

Hey Jaunty,

check out this post. There were actually 3 XSR's believe it or not. I've seen the burgundy one in person a couple of times and since then, the owner acquired the silver one. It sounds like the yellow one is lost to history This post tells the whole history of the cars as forum member "Herbie" tells it from the 1st person. It's a fascinating story and a great piece of Oldsmobile history.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...do-t-tops.html

John
Old February 6th, 2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
check out this post.
Interesting story. Thanks.
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:27 AM

I have a 78 Eldorado. Except for the engine, and rear window, basically same car. They made more Eldorados than Toronados in those years, so most parts should not be too difficult to find for the Toronado. Uses the same TH425 transmission.
The timing gear is not a deal braker, if nothing else broke. ALL these cars really have to have their timing gear replaced. BEFORE it breaks. So that’s a fixed cost for any of these cars. But that fact that it broke, that worries me a bit. Guy should have known better.

If the timing gear is still in one piece, you can just take the front cover off. Now that pieces are in the oil pickup, that has to be cleaned out. That said, $2000 is not a bad price. $1500 is even better if you like the car. I still think these big cars are undervalued. Many years from now people are going to think fondly about getting a car like this for $2000. Years ago you could get a 68 Camaro for a few thousand too.
If I had the money and space, would buy a couple of these.

The weak points on these cars? They really are solid cars. Interior plastics arent the best quality, but they are mechanically solid.
Timing gear is number one. Then if it has not been done before, you will probably have to replace most of the bushings and joints in the suspension. Not that the parts are badly designed, but these are big, heavy cars, so they are hard on things like ball joints, bearing, tie rod ends.
Busy replacing my pitman arm and idler arm now. After I replace the suspension parts car drove 100% better.
That rear window on that Toronado is also unobtanium. If the guy scraps the car, save the window. You will be able to sell it sometime.

Last edited by waterzap; February 7th, 2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old February 7th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

Thanks for the reply waterzap, it seems the chain shattered on a cold day, He replaced it at -10 sooo, He did things in a hurry and messed something up, and it wont run now. Sounds like bent valves or worse to me. He claims it had floor patches done one repaint. (Wisconsin car all its life) lots done to the car and needs it gone asap. He's got my number but I cant see 2k for the car with a bad engine. If it still ran and needed the chain I could see it. I like the car as its different and triple black. Its a drive to get it as well, not that big of a deal to me. Do you happen to know if a RWD 403 would be the same? perhaps a 455, if the trans can take it.
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by barnfind
Thanks for the reply waterzap, it seems the chain shattered on a cold day, He replaced it at -10 sooo, He did things in a hurry and messed something up, and it wont run now. Sounds like bent valves or worse to me. He claims it had floor patches done one repaint. (Wisconsin car all its life) lots done to the car and needs it gone asap. He's got my number but I cant see 2k for the car with a bad engine. If it still ran and needed the chain I could see it. I like the car as its different and triple black. Its a drive to get it as well, not that big of a deal to me. Do you happen to know if a RWD 403 would be the same? perhaps a 455, if the trans can take it.
RWD 403's fit, just change oil pan and exhaust manifolds to Toro parts and transmission is same as the pre 77 Toros where the used the 455's.

Henry
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:47 PM

[QUOTEl
That rear window on that Toronado is also unobtanium. If the guy scraps the car, save the window. You will be able to sell it sometime.[/QUOTE]

Maybe maybe not, I saved one 20 some years ago and still have it. And it is very obtainable!

Henry
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:46 PM

For my 78 Eldorado took me a month to get a new front Windshield. Did get one in the end, but took some time. Can't think there are too many of those rear windshields left. They are nice though.
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:08 AM

With the engine damage. This really sounds more like a $1000 car. Or around that. $2000 is too much for something that doesn't run I think. If this was an Eldorado I would not even think of buying it. But the Toronado a bit scarcer, personally would sort of consider.
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by waterzap
For my 78 Eldorado took me a month to get a new front Windshield. Did get one in the end, but took some time. Can't think there are too many of those rear windshields left. They are nice though.

The windshield for your car has a great interchange range as it was the same as all 71-76 B body hardtops, also 71-76 Rivieras and 71-78 Toros.

When I checked about 20 years ago the Toro xs back glass was available from glass suppliers for about $2,500.00!

Henry
Old February 8th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

Thanks for the info 66400, If the guy wants to let it go a bit cheaper I have some more info to get it one the road. OUCH on that rear glass, but at least its still available. Id look for used first! If I can obtain this car its a simple plan of get it running and enjoy.
Old February 8th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I bet he'd take less.

That's what Im hoping for...

So will the toro 403 pan and exh work with a 455 or will I be on a parts hunt?
Old February 8th, 2014, 08:33 PM

403 Toro pan will work with 455, same pan 66-78. Left hand manifold interchange 71-78.

My interchange lists 77-78 right manifold as being by itself but likely to work.

Henry
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

thanks for your help with this 66400 sounds like a swap would be the way to go