Toro for towing

Old August 28th, 2017, 06:14 PM
Always room for one more

Toro for towing

Hi everyone.

I've been thinking I'd like to have a mid 70s Toronado to pull my 31ft Airstream. My first thought was, this is the biggest car I can think of it will do great. But in typical fashion, I started overthinking and now wonder if the front wheel drive will somehow adversely effect towing capabilities.

So, does anyone tow a big camper with a Toronado, and does it do well or poorly? And if it does well, would I be even better with an Eldorado and 45 more cubic inches?

Thanks everyone. Have a good evening.
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:07 PM

I've never towed with the '76 or '77 Toronados I've driven, so I can't speak to the road manners.

I believe all of the '77s only came with 2.73 final drives. It's not very swift from a dead stop all by itself, so you're not going to win any drag races adding a trailer.

'76 was the last year for the 455, so I would look there or earlier myself. If you do go through with it, that will be an awesome sight to behold!

Good Luck!
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:13 PM

Mike, how about a '71-72 Custom Cruiser or a '98? My dad pulled campers and boats with '67, 71 & 74 98's, and also used the last two to pull a 26 ft cabin cruiser.
Old August 29th, 2017, 06:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

The novelty of the FWD Toro led to a lot of photos like this in the early years.

Old August 29th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Always room for one more

They did that on the Chevy Citation commercials when the X cars first came out. Nothing wrong with recycling marketing, I guess.
Old August 29th, 2017, 08:30 PM

friend of my dads used to tow an airstream from iowa to arizona every winter with his 76 toro.
Old August 30th, 2017, 06:21 AM

I think a 70s Toro would do fine towing a trailer. Just put some leveling shocks on the back and make sure you have a good hitch. It's not like you want to tow a 5th wheel trailer or something.

FWIW, I wouldn't suggest going to an Eldorado, they aren't Oldsmobiles.
Old August 30th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by slantflat
They did that on the Chevy Citation commercials when the X cars first came out. Nothing wrong with recycling marketing, I guess.
A good friend of mine was working at the GM Desert Proving Grounds in the late 70s when they were shooting those commercials. He likes to point out that when the cars came back in after filming, the drivers had to climb out the windows because the body was so tweaked that the doors wouldn't open.
Old August 30th, 2017, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
It's not like you want to tow a 5th wheel trailer or something.

FWIW, I wouldn't suggest going to an Eldorado, they aren't Oldsmobiles.
funny you should say that years ago we were cruising down the divided 4 lane highway and came up on a camper doing maybe 50 or so.so we go to pass the guy and it was a 5th wheel trailer being pulled by an eldorado.guy built a mount setup that went thru the top of the 1/4s i assume they went to the frame.was kinda cool
Old August 31st, 2017, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
funny you should say that years ago we were cruising down the divided 4 lane highway and came up on a camper doing maybe 50 or so.so we go to pass the guy and it was a 5th wheel trailer being pulled by an eldorado.guy built a mount setup that went thru the top of the 1/4s i assume they went to the frame.was kinda cool
That's crazy.
Old August 31st, 2017, 05:49 AM

Wonder what his insurance companywould say
Old August 31st, 2017, 07:30 AM

Buy a pick up truck it's waaaay better for towing.
Old August 31st, 2017, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
I agree that pickups are better for towing. Of course, nothing beats a Ford pickup.

I understand where Mike is coming from though. There's something nostalgic about towing an Airstream with your classic.
Old August 31st, 2017, 10:22 AM

Why don't you buy a green 1971 Delta 88 Royale convertible. A few modifications and off you go.
Old August 31st, 2017, 11:43 AM

Talking

I agree that pickups are better for towing. Of course, nothing beats a Ford pickup.

I understand where Mike is coming from though. There's something nostalgic about towing an Airstream with your classic.

You can say that again!!!
Old August 31st, 2017, 11:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

And a Prius is better as a daily commuter. I wouldn't want to do that either. What's your point?
Old August 31st, 2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
And a Prius is better as a daily commuter. I wouldn't want to do that either. What's your point?

A truck has a full chassis and a better suspension. Why would you pull a heavy trailer with a passenger car???? Rear suspension isn't designed for it, Car will wag it's tail going down the road. To me it's not worth the hassle when their are better way's of doing something.
Old August 31st, 2017, 12:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

A truck has a full chassis and a better suspension. Why would you pull a heavy trailer with a passenger car???? Rear suspension isn't designed for it, Car will wag it's tail going down the road. To me it's not worth the hassle when their are better way's of doing something.
An aluminum Airstream is not a heavy trailer. I've towed lots of full size Oldsmobiles with a 1970 Supreme. The Supreme has a full frame, 350/TH350, and the same size brakes as an S10. The Toro will have no problems with this trailer. You do what you gotta do, others will do what they gotta do. Pulling a vintage camper with a vintage car is very cool.
Old August 31st, 2017, 12:59 PM

I went to the Olds 100th anniversary in '97 and two people I know trailered their cars there. First guy used a Dodge 2500 series pick up and didn't even feel the car and trailer back there. The other guy used a Ford Bronco ( short wheelbase and soft suspension) and the ride from Long Island to Lansing was terrible.
I would even say dangerous.
A 31 foot trailer is heavy and a wind catcher, As much as I like an Olds Toronado I wouldn't feel comfortable using it for that.
Also a prius is a terd
Old August 31st, 2017, 01:04 PM

As a truck driver for the last 25 years it's better to have a tow vehicle with the right suspension and wheelbase. To pull a small boat or camping trailer with a Toro is one thing, 31ft is ridiculous.

Last edited by Ancient Iron; August 31st, 2017 at 01:09 PM. Reason: info
Old August 31st, 2017, 01:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

Old August 31st, 2017, 02:44 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks guys for all the input. Ancient Iron I agree with you that a pickup(mine anyway) is a better tow vehicle. I can't help but think you're thinking I'm talking about the 80s Toronado. I'm actually talking about a 71-76 Toro. And Olds64 is right, I'm going for a certain look, vintage car and vintage [look] trailer.

I have an 02 Silverado 2500HD which is more than enough. My Airstream Sovereign weighs 7000 pounds. The Toro would be no slouch, either, and better than 90% of the tow vehicles I see around. But, according to Joe's chart, the Airstream is too heavy for the Toronado. Wonder if it's a capability of the power train or the platform in general.

Kenny do you know of a green 71 88 convertible? I'd drive one of those without a trailer.

Thanks again everyone. This has been very enlightening and enjoyable.
Old August 31st, 2017, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Back before p/ups were the norm, these old cars were what the family used for towing everything. I know its a Merc but this scene is priceless.
Old August 31st, 2017, 03:28 PM

Thanks guys for all the input. Ancient Iron I agree with you that a pickup(mine anyway) is a better tow vehicle. I can't help but think you're thinking I'm talking about the 80s Toronado. I'm actually talking about a 71-76 Toro. And Olds64 is right, I'm going for a certain look, vintage car and vintage [look] trailer.

I have an 02 Silverado 2500HD which is more than enough. My Airstream Sovereign weighs 7000 pounds. The Toro would be no slouch, either, and better than 90% of the tow vehicles I see around. But, according to Joe's chart, the Airstream is too heavy for the Toronado. Wonder if it's a capability of the power train or the platform in general.

Kenny do you know of a green 71 88 convertible? I'd drive one of those without a trailer.

Thanks again everyone. This has been very enlightening and enjoyable.
I know the motor and transmission is more than adequate, It's the chassis and suspension that's the weak link. A toro from the eighties is way too weak to pull much of anything
Also remember when your going down the road you have to think safety. Your life and your families or anyone else's for that matter are not worth risking just to look cool.
When things go bad they go bad FAST.
Old August 31st, 2017, 04:08 PM
Always room for one more

When things go bad they go bad FAST.
That's what makes Eric's film clip so poignant. In that movie they really were towing that large trailer up the mountains, and the Mercury didn't have the ***** to do it, so they substituted a Lincoln with the bigger motor in some of the scenes.

I do a lot of towing with my pickup which is why I asked about this particular car in the first place; no experience with it and wanting to learn before getting in over my head.
Old September 1st, 2017, 05:46 AM

Interestingly, I would consider towing a trailer with my 71 98 over towing with my 86 f250. While my pickup is a 3/4 ton truck, the diesel is naturally aspirated. It's sort of a dog on the highway.

Oldsguy has a dual axle RV he tows behind his 2017 f250. I may borrow it someday and tow it with my truck; however, I will be staying in the right lane the entire time thinking it would be easier with my Oldsmobile.
Old September 1st, 2017, 08:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

My Airstream Sovereign weighs 7000 pounds.

OK, that's WAAAY more than I expected an aluminum Airstream to weigh. Not gonna happen with any car. Suspension, brakes, cooling, trans, all are limiting factors here.
Old September 1st, 2017, 09:09 AM

Now is 7000lbs a dry weight??? If so add water and all the supplies you need to live in it plus all the family in the car, and before you know it you have exceeded a safe weight limit. Add some steep grades and hot summer weather in Georgia and you just set your self up for disaster.
A small trailer would be cool, But when he said 31' even if it's an airstream the steel frame and axles are still steel and would stress that car past it's limits.
Old September 1st, 2017, 09:15 AM

Interestingly, I would consider towing a trailer with my 71 98 over towing with my 86 f250. While my pickup is a 3/4 ton truck, the diesel is naturally aspirated. It's sort of a dog on the highway.

Oldsguy has a dual axle RV he tows behind his 2017 f250. I may borrow it someday and tow it with my truck; however, I will be staying in the right lane the entire time thinking it would be easier with my Oldsmobile.
Your truck might be slow, But it has the wheelbase and the suspension to handle the weight.
A '71 98 has the power but the rear springs are the weak point.
Old September 1st, 2017, 09:22 AM

Yeah, if I did tow with my 71 98 it would be a small single axle Airstream for nostalgia. Oldsguy's RV is about as big as they get without being a 5th wheel.
Old September 1st, 2017, 09:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

But when he said 31' even if it's an airstream the steel frame and axles are still steel and would stress that car past it's limits.
I think I just said that in my last post.
Old September 1st, 2017, 03:19 PM
Always room for one more

I might be a little off here. I went to look at the body tag on the trailer and it says GVWR is 6800. A quick search shows empty weight is 5400. That still outweighs the Toro spec by 400. I wish more people had a forum like this to check their rigs. I see 1/2 ton pickups and the full size Japanese pickups(which aren't as full size as our full size) towing trailers at least this big.

Thanks again all. I've learned a lot.
Old September 4th, 2017, 10:35 PM

My old man owns a 67 Airstream that we used for hunting. We have moved it a couple times with a 95 Tahoe 2 door, in central FL, being very careful. Airstreams tow nicely, but they still have a lot of mass.
Old September 8th, 2017, 03:54 PM

Towing with a Toronado... Hell Yes!

My Parents pulled an 18' Aristocrat Land Commander (Deluxe with Shower & Toilet) back & forth across the US of A many times... including the Continental Divide.. Deserts (they lived in CA, CO & NV... Visited Grandchildren in Northern CA, CO and MO).. in rain, snow & heat... with a 1985 Toronado with the 307! The Aristocrat Land Commander is NOT a Light Trailer... Empty Weight 2250 lbs... also had 2-30 Potable Gallon Water Tanks and a 30 Gallon Black/Grey-Water Tank. Upgraded with a Pair of Deep Cycle Batteries, Twin 30 Gallon Propane Tanks and Roof Mounted A/C. Probably closer 4000 lbs Wet with all of their 'stuff' in it... My Parents did NOT travel 'light'!

The Toronado was equipped with an Equalizer Hitch, Anti-Sway & Trailer Brakes and I installed an aftermarket Transmission Cooler to supplement the stock cooler. Never an issue.

Still running original Engine & Transmission. Still runs nice (now that I have sorted out an emissions issue).

Just sayin'...