Correct 1966 toronado air cleaner color . Help.

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2020, 01:25 PM

Correct 1966 toronado air cleaner color . Help.

The air cleaner and engine paint are different colors. Both blue but definitely different. Does anyone have the correct color code or correct equivalent paint for the cleaner. Can't find anything anywhere.
Old April 24th, 2020, 03:44 PM
Oldsdruid

www.fusick.com should have the correct Toronado Slate Blue engine paint. I think what you're seeing is the effect of aging. 1966-1967 engine and aircleaner are both Toronado Slate Blue. 68-69 engine is slate blue, aircleaner is black. 1970 changed to 455 Blue with black aircleaner.
Old April 25th, 2020, 09:17 PM

1966 Toronado air cleaner/ engine/valve cover paint

Thanks for the reply. I actually have the fusick paint. I have an early production model and whats puzzling me is that I don't seem to be alone in finding different shades of paint. I also saw photos of one at Mecum with almost the same colors as mine. I agree that the slate blue seems to be on 99% but I just want to be authentic if is is different on earlier production. Here are a few pix. The engine and air cleaner had been painted Chevrolet colors. I have painstakingly been removing it. While I understand it was painted due to age and condition I would still like to restore it to original. I do believe that this is the original paint. Thanks again.

Old April 25th, 2020, 10:46 PM

Let me see what the sunlight is like during the day. I have a 66 Toronado that seems unmolested. I want to check for evidence of re-painting. Your valve covers are 1970 455 blue. The 66 Toronado's were a silver blue color, and something makes me wonder if the later "350 Olds Diesel" color might be close. The air cleaner color was a different color. I have a on my profile, let me see if I can post them.

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; April 25th, 2020 at 10:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old April 26th, 2020, 02:56 PM

Oldster Ralph

Thanks for the pix. Your air cleaner seems to be the same color as mine. The thing that has me puzzled is that this is the original 425 engine and the manifolds etc are the slightly bluer color. The one pix of the valve cover does seem to be bluer than it really is. I am beginning to wonder if someone didn't really strip her down years ago and paint everything. if they did they sure did a good job because it doesn't come off and is right to thd metal making me think that it's original. I think that I am going to do a little more research and if I find nothing else I am going to go with the fusick slate blue color like everyone else seems to do. Thanks again for the input as it is much appreciated.