67 Toronado, gas tank overflowing, need help!

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2012, 03:48 PM

67 Toronado, gas tank overflowing, need help!

Hi,
I own a 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado, and my gas tank, for a while now has been leaking gas through the two vent hoses on the gas tank. Now it is not leaking from where the hoses attach to the metal nipples, but the gas is coming out of the gas tank and out of the two hoses and spilling out of the car, especially when going up hill.
I have tried to put some bowl filters on each hose to give more room for the gas to go without leaking, but it still leaks out. I also tried to keep my gas tank half empty, but again, it still leaks out.

So I really don't know what to do anymore, so any help to resolve this problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old December 5th, 2012, 03:03 PM

I took the tank out of my 66 toro to have it cleaned. The two vent hoses had a plug of some sort in them at the very end. The plugs had a small hole in them so air can still get through.The hoses were up behind the license plate about nine inches long. I have not got my tank back yet, I was going to put new hoses on and try to change these restrictor plugs then. I can look at them sooner if it helps
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:00 AM

Are your vent hoses in the correct spot and do they have the plug ends on them? As mentioned by the previous poster, both vent hoses have an insert with a small air hole in it and both are long enough so that they come out by the gas fill cap behind the license plate. I can only guess if they were short or didn't have the cap end they would have a tendency to leak.
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:44 PM

I do have them all the way up behind the license plate, but I do not have these caps that you guys are talking about, what do they look like, and where can I get them?
Old December 7th, 2012, 04:24 PM

I would make sure the hoses are not old and rock hard, if they are replace them. I would make some inserts out of metal, plastic, maybe wood dowels, what ever works best for you. Drill a very small hole in the inserts and you should be OK. Next week I will get time to look at my old hoses and see what the inserts are made of.
Old December 8th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Here's a pic of mine below. As 66eltoro said, you probably could make a set out of some drilled wood dowels until you found something more suitable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FuelVentInserts.jpg (50.3 KB, 30 views)
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Make sure you have the correct fuel cap, "Non Vented".
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

'66s had non-vented caps?

I didn't think those started until they started using charcoal canisters.

- Eric
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:21 PM

Yep, my blue 66 is non vent, and Jeffs is non vent in his pic. right above my post. This is my take, not from a book, just my own experience. If the tank has an external vent, really vented, than the cap is non vented. If, as my 67 Sport Wagon, the tank has NO external vent, the cap is vented. The mentioned wagon has a vent tube coming into the fill neck so it is not actually externally vented so the cap is vented.
I had a wagon before, it had a cap on it, I didn't check it out. Took it for my first drive, about 30 min., stopped for gas, removed the cap and got covered with fuel. The cap was a non vent, wrong one.
I figure if the OP has a vented cap and a vented tank it could cause a problem like letting fuel leak easily out the vent, not positive, but something easily checked and fixed.