66 Toro pass headlight issue help!

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2020, 04:05 PM

66 Toro pass headlight issue help!

New-to-me 66 Toronado, the pass. headlight is having some issues. First, it goes up but when it lowers the mechanism behind the headlight appears to bump into something, and it will not go down. If I push down on the headlight door, the battery and battery tray bump up and down. Must be something underneath the battery Im guessing. Eventually, I dont know how but after I jiggled the mechanism inside the pass. fender the headlight door finally popped down. Took a lot of effort and jiggling to make that happen, not quite sure what I did though.

The other issue is that when open, it doesnt go up all the way, needs about another 3/4 of an inch or so. Enough that the headlight is shining down on the ground instead of the proper height.

Can the mechanism be reached by removing the grille? Thx.

Old November 18th, 2020, 12:47 PM

Anyone?
Old November 18th, 2020, 02:15 PM

Your best access to the headlight mechanism would be gained by actually removing the battery - there obviously is something amiss in this area since headlight movement causes the battery and try to move, and this should not at all be the case. Good luck.
Old November 18th, 2020, 03:01 PM

Does the battery tray come out or is it welded in place?
Old November 18th, 2020, 04:44 PM

The battery tray has 2 or 3 bolts securing it in place - more often than not, they are basically rusted in place. However, I think just removing the battery will give you adequate visual access to the situation, and probably adequate work room for the repairs as well. Hopefully it's a vacuum cannister (and associated connection points) problem in which case the removed battery will give you the necessary access, along with under the front fender.
Old November 18th, 2020, 04:50 PM

Just re-read the initial post, and saw that both battery and its tray move - sounds like there could be a rust problem that might be significant. I'm not certain, but the battery tray and bottom linkage of the vacuum cannister might be secured to same piece of sheet metal.
Old November 19th, 2020, 07:44 AM

I should re-phrase that, It's not that they actually move, just that something underneath is both audibly and visibly bumping the battery and tray when I push down on the opened headlight. Like if someone pounds their fist on a closed door and the door vibrates/shakes.
Old November 19th, 2020, 08:01 AM
Oldsdruid

Do you have 66 Olds Chassis Service Manual yet? If not get one. Toronado has its own section and the headlights are covered under front end sheetmetal.

DickstersSmarTypants.com makes vacuum-to-electric headlight conversions and lists 66 Toronado as available. He's had an ad in Toronado Owners Association "Front Wheel Driver" for a few issues now. Might be worth a look.

Chrysler used electric motors on their hideaway headlight cars. GM and Ford stuck with vacuum till the 80s. My 84 TransAM had electric though and had to have both headlight motors replaced under warranty.

Last edited by rocketraider; November 19th, 2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old November 19th, 2020, 01:18 PM

Thx for the info but i am sticking with the vacuum system for now. Just want to get mine working correctly.
Old November 19th, 2020, 02:03 PM
Oldsdruid

Search "RTEngineering" which is Dick Taschenberg in MD. He made a lot of components to get Toro headlights working about 30 yrs ago but not sure if he's still doing it. Odds are the springs on yours have gotten weak or distended.

Makes me glad my 69 has fixed lights. Bad enough when the grilles flap shut and reopen unexpectedly under hard acceleration. And that was after rebuilding the vacuum system. Car has too many vacuum operated accessories and W34 doesn't help.
Old November 19th, 2020, 07:14 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

The Corvette vendors will rebuild various vacuum and electric parts in the Toro vac system.
Some of the parts could cross over. Always look at all of GM for parts that will match FFF or be direct replacements.

FFF = form fit function
Old November 20th, 2020, 06:27 PM

Rock Auto sells a licensed reprint of the original GM service Manual for $33.79. I think you should buy one!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...346217&jsn=427

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/
Old November 21st, 2020, 04:33 AM

OOPS, the link I posted was for a 1967 Toro, because that is what I have. They should also have your 66!

Also French Lake Auto Parts up in Minnesota has several 66-67 Toros they are parting out if you need parts. They have been posting some pieces for sale on Ebay. I just bought my Tilt/Tele steering column from them & will be here in a few days

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Last edited by Bill's Auto Works; November 21st, 2020 at 04:37 AM.
Old November 25th, 2020, 01:06 PM

Are there any other GM cars with vacuum headlights that parts might work on the Toro? Maybe 68-69 GTO? Just curious since you can get so many parts for those