'66-'67 Toronado air cleaner dimensions

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2021, 07:23 AM

'66-'67 Toronado air cleaner dimensions

Hi, I've got a Cadillac I'm getting around to detailing/customizing the engine compartment on this winter. My problem with the project is the stock air cleaner is plain, huge, pretty ugly, and the aftermarket A/C compressor is up high and in the way of a normal dual snorkel air cleaner. So I've been looking at the '66-'67 Toronado air cleaner assemblies. I like the way they look, and I THINK the way the snorkels are mounted to the "box", I can get the right side to fit behind the compressor. My stock air cleaner is about 20" in diameter, and sticks quite a ways forward on the engine. Was just wondering if anyone had one they'd be willing to measure, or if anyone knew the dimensions of one? If it figures out to where it will work for me, I'll also be looking to buy a good, straight Toronado air cleaner, so leads on those would be appreciated. I saw the few for sale down in the parts section, but I'm holding off with PMs until I figure out for sure if it's going to work. Thanks for your time!

Lucas

Old January 5th, 2021, 08:03 AM

I think you'll hit your rear AC hose. Might I recommend a nicer paint job on the current air cleaner? Engine color might be nice. If that is still no good, perhaps a 1 snorkel olds unit would work, like a 66 442 air cleaner.
Old January 5th, 2021, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the reply, definitely want to get rid of the stock cleaner, and looking to get something a little more "razoo" for the car. I'm also thinking the Toronado MIGHT hit my A/C lines, it looks about 50/50 to me depending on how large the Toronado cleaner is. But, I can also clock them differently, which is also why I'm looking for dimensions before buying. I've run the Olds/Caddy knockoff "batwings" (I know that's not the correct term for the style) on the last few engines I've done, and looking for something different this time around. Here's the engine in my Riviera after I got done with it, this Caddy engine will be done in something similar style. I'm going to paint it purple to match some of the old school pinstripes I have on the car.

Old January 5th, 2021, 06:13 PM

Hey Lucas,

I will measure mine tomorrow! I can already tell the pass snorkel is going to be really tight with that AC comp!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/
Old January 5th, 2021, 09:42 PM

The Cadillac air cleaner lower pan has the carb opening offset to the front, so the air cleaner is moved rearward to clear the A/C compressor.

The Olds Toro air cleaner lower pan has the carb opening offset to the rear, so the air cleaner is moved forward, to clear the distributor, at least on engines equipped with HEI.

I haven't looked at my '66 Toro air cleaner in years. I'm not sure how or if it's offset.
Old January 6th, 2021, 06:17 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you decide it works I have a couple of 66 Toronado air cleaners. PM me if you are interested.
Old January 6th, 2021, 06:26 AM

Ok Lucas,

Here Ya Go!

Overall diameter 17 1/2 in.

Carb stud to the center line of the end of snorkel 18 in.

Center line of one snorkel end to center line of other snorkel end 33 in.

I think those should give you the ability to see if it will clear or not!

God Bless
Bill
Old January 6th, 2021, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bill's Auto Works
Ok Lucas,

Here Ya Go!

Overall diameter 17 1/2 in.

Carb stud to the center line of the end of snorkel 18 in.

Center line of one snorkel end to center line of other snorkel end 33 in.

I think those should give you the ability to see if it will clear or not!

God Bless
Bill
Perfect Bill! Thanks so much for taking the time to do that, much appreciated!

Lucas
Old January 6th, 2021, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Schurkey
The Cadillac air cleaner lower pan has the carb opening offset to the front, so the air cleaner is moved rearward to clear the A/C compressor.

The Olds Toro air cleaner lower pan has the carb opening offset to the rear, so the air cleaner is moved forward, to clear the distributor, at least on engines equipped with HEI.

I haven't looked at my '66 Toro air cleaner in years. I'm not sure how or if it's offset.
Thanks for the info, Schurkey! I also posted down in the Toronado section and Bill got me all the info I need to check it out.
Old January 6th, 2021, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
If you decide it works I have a couple of 66 Toronado air cleaners. PM me if you are interested.
Sounds good! I've got all the measurements I need to check fitment, I will get a hold of you when/if it looks like it's going to work. Thank you

Lucas