1978 Toronado with T tops??

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2014, 09:23 AM

Thank you Herbie- once again- for finally after 35 years sheading true light on the story of the infamous Toronado XSR. May the yellow cream car surface one day in a air tight time capsule- locked inside a closed bank vault- and unseen from when the photo in the Wisconsin used car lot was taken lol with 10,000 original miles...... and a Johnny cash 8 track still in the player !

Last edited by Bens71442; January 10th, 2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old January 14th, 2014, 02:46 PM

Look at these secret photos Only here will you see them!

OK guys, check these out! Here are a few photos of both the red and silver XSRs when they were brand new cars. These were taken in the summer of 1976. Notice the vinyl tops are exact on both cars with the same trim like I stated in my last post? Now, today, the red car has the XS side trim because the original trim went missing. However, the silver car still has the same original trim that it was built with. Also, note the Michigan "spirit of 76" new plates on the car? This is getting real good. Stand by for unseen photos of maybe, the yellow car?? Maybe.... Herbie, the XSR King.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
235983 Red XSR NEW IN 76.jpg (86.5 KB, 127 views)
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by MarkDavid
i`ve got a `78 Olds Toro XS car that i need some parts for . Any one know of anyone that can help ?
Have interior pieces, what color do you need? and one xs rear window
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:10 PM

Hi Ben, do you have spare XS parts? If so, what else do you have? I may be interested in some parts from the moonroof and/or others.
John
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:20 PM

I just re-read the original post that started this all and noticed it mentions a 78 Toro with "factory" t-tops. I wonder what that's all about. Could it possibly actually be the yellow '77 XSR? Or maybe it's just some after market job....or possibly a Toro with a t- top Eldo roof transplant? I don't recall much commented on this car so what's the story there?
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:50 PM

Yes- remarkably this thread is over 4 years old..... I have no idea about the posters original acquisition of a 1978 Toronado with T-tops.....and since finding this thread and commenting such that I have- it still is a 4 year old thread to begin with.

I wish the original author would have posted pictures to begin with, and if he still follows this thread- update us at least lol...... after all- I we can never get enough XSR in our lives.....

As for parts I have the following from a 1978 which was the Dark Cherry color (as shown in the 1978 Brochure)

I have a unbroken XS (rear window) and interior panels of BOTH the rear inner quarters, in a red vinyl color, which are nice, the last time I seen them.

I live in Macomb twsp, MI.... north of Detroit, 30 mins.

PS- my math was wrong- this thread is sadly- almost 6 1/2 years old!!! June of 2007 gee wiz !

--Ben

ppss: I do not have any trim or parts from the moon roof I'm sorry

Last edited by Bens71442; February 8th, 2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old February 11th, 2014, 02:44 PM

[attac3372492629_254d95947e_z.jpg

1977-oldsmobile-toronado-xsr-coupe-7.jpg[/attach]
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:54 AM

nice pics Ben! I saw this car a couple of times in person but didn't get to see the tops in operation.
Old February 12th, 2014, 06:33 AM

Thumbs up

Some of my Toronado friends will get a kick out of this story!
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:50 AM

Hi there. I am checking in again as I see a few more comments. You guys are in for a real rare treat. There is much more to tell plus I have unseen photos since 1976/1977. When I am ready, I will share more with you. Until then, enjoy your snow and ice. The weather folks say this has been one of the toughest winters on record in years with more to come tomorrow. I will stay in Miami until March, then come back to New York until next November. I had enough snow. Nice day today, high expected in the 70's. My friend with the XSR's told me last night that he went on the roof of his garage to clear all the heavy snow off just to protect the Toronados. You can never be too safe with your old cars. Be safe everyone.
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hi Ben, do you have spare XS parts? If so, what else do you have? I may be interested in some parts from the moonroof and/or others.
John
Old March 27th, 2014, 07:53 PM

Im very sorry- only items I have from the 78 XS I once parted back in 1990.

is interior trim parts- The cars exterior color was that dark cherry- (shown in 78 XS Brochure) and it had a red interior...

so all interior panels I have (rear quarter trim) etc are all redish burgundy red.....its more red than burgundy.

I did not remove anything from the sunroof (but) I still have its wrap around rear window... with electric defogger lines .

no sunroof stuff whatsoever I'm afraid. at the time I didn't realise any motors or tracks from the sunroof would have been desirable.

for that I apologise.... car is long long gone now.....

Last edited by Bens71442; February 7th, 2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old May 18th, 2014, 04:00 PM

Helllo All:

I totally love the 77 and 78 Toronado XSR and hopefully I can get one someday. Back in November 2006, I acquired a black 78 Cadillac Eldorado with power sliding T-Tops. It came out of Riverside, California and a friend of mine, who owns Heinz Pretcher's 78 power T-Top Eldorado also purchased my car and had it for several years. My car just sat in my friend's carport in Arizona for a few years and then I was able to get it from him. My Elkdorado has a black exterior and red and black interior with true full sized bucket seats and a center console with a horseshoe shaped floor shifter. It has metal engraved "Franciscan" signatures on the driver and passenger side of the roof, just behind the opera windows. It has GT emblem on the dash and on the back trunklid. The funny thing is, I actually saw this car brand new down in Tampa, Florida just before I went into the Air Force in May 1977 at the Floriland Mall. They had a huge car show and they had my Eldorado and a Toronado XSR with the power sliding T-Tops at this show. I was totally knocked out by both of these cars and never imagined that 30 years later, I would own one of these cars. It's been a slow go with my wife trying to get my car restored, since she's not into old cars, but she finally gave in and now I'm in the process of restoring my Eldorado. I'll post pictures when I get the car completed. P.S. I have a friend named Matt, who now owns the red and silver Toronado XSR's with the power T-Tops.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by sdarm2
Helllo All:

I totally love the 77 and 78 Toronado XSR and hopefully I can get one someday. Back in November 2006, I acquired a black 78 Cadillac Eldorado with power sliding T-Tops. It came out of Riverside, California and a friend of mine, who owns Heinz Pretcher's 78 power T-Top Eldorado also purchased my car and had it for several years. My car just sat in my friend's carport in Arizona for a few years and then I was able to get it from him. My Elkdorado has a black exterior and red and black interior with true full sized bucket seats and a center console with a horseshoe shaped floor shifter. It has metal engraved "Franciscan" signatures on the driver and passenger side of the roof, just behind the opera windows. It has GT emblem on the dash and on the back trunklid. The funny thing is, I actually saw this car brand new down in Tampa, Florida just before I went into the Air Force in May 1977 at the Floriland Mall. They had a huge car show and they had my Eldorado and a Toronado XSR with the power sliding T-Tops at this show. I was totally knocked out by both of these cars and never imagined that 30 years later, I would own one of these cars. It's been a slow go with my wife trying to get my car restored, since she's not into old cars, but she finally gave in and now I'm in the process of restoring my Eldorado. I'll post pictures when I get the car completed. P.S. I have a friend named Matt, who now owns the red and silver Toronado XSR's with the power T-Tops.

Hey there, it seems that you and Herbie both know the owner of the 2 XSR's. We never heard from you again so hopefully you're still a member and can update us with some pics and more info on these fascinating cars!
Old October 4th, 2014, 09:06 AM

Update.

Hello Toronado folks. It's been a while but here is an update. Not much of an update, however, here is where the two XSRs are stored. They have not been out for some time now so they are a little dusty. In fact, just getting the cars out of this building would now be very hard as a new portion was added on and a wall was put up. To remove the cars, that wall would have to be unscrewed and several beams would also have to come out. There are dozens of cars also blocking the exit so I do not think the XSRs are coming out anytime soon, if ever. Oh well. At least they are safe and dry.
Attached Images
IMG_6638.jpg (69.4 KB, 95 views)
IMG_6640.jpg (74.5 KB, 101 views)
IMG_6641.jpg (78.2 KB, 106 views)
IMG_6642.jpg (79.5 KB, 109 views)
IMG_6649.jpg (67.7 KB, 97 views)
Old October 4th, 2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
They're pretty rare. The original XSR showcar had power t-tops that slid into the middle. That feature was sadly dropped for production. Does your 78 have the MISAR crank trigger ignition?
That car was built at ASC. The mechanicals proved to be too problematic for production.

Last edited by Rocketguy; October 4th, 2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie
Hello Toronado folks. It's been a while but here is an update. Not much of an update, however, here is where the two XSRs are stored. They have not been out for some time now so they are a little dusty. In fact, just getting the cars out of this building would now be very hard as a new portion was added on and a wall was put up. To remove the cars, that wall would have to be unscrewed and several beams would also have to come out. There are dozens of cars also blocking the exit so I do not think the XSRs are coming out anytime soon, if ever. Oh well. At least they are safe and dry.
Very cool to see these 2 sitting side by side. It would be even cooler to see them out in the open at a Olds show one day. I would really love to see the '76 98 that you mentioned Matt owns. I believe you said it has the ACRS, right? Keep the pics coming Herbie!
Old October 5th, 2014, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by bens71442
"i do not think the xsrs are coming out anytime soon, if ever. Oh well."

i can't help but to feel very disappointed in your above comments herbie....at the least one of the two deserves to be in a museum, in particular the re olds museum in lansing, mi.

In this way - they'd be in a "climate controlled" facility with interested museum patrons appreciating the historical significance of one of the rarest toronados conceived by oldsmobile.

Do you ever have plans on bringing them ever to a oldsmobile nationals someday?

--ben
x2! !
Old October 5th, 2014, 10:01 AM

Check out this from youtube....who would have thought there was even a matchbox toy of the XSR! Pretty cool !

Old October 11th, 2014, 10:45 AM

ACRS cars.

Very cool to see these 2 sitting side by side. It would be even cooler to see them out in the open at a Olds show one day. I would really love to see the '76 98 that you mentioned Matt owns. I believe you said it has the ACRS, right? Keep the pics coming Herbie!
Yes, Matt has a number of GM cars from the 70's with ACRS. Several 98 Regencys, 75/76 era, a 75/76 era Toronado with ACRS, a 75 Riveria with ACRS, a 75 Buick Park Ave with ACRS, a 76 Fleetwood Talisman with ACRS plus the moonroof, fuel injection and the dealer installed dial carphone. The Caddy only has a few miles on it. He has a Pontiac Grandville and a Chevy Caprice with the ACRS too, I think both are 75 models. I will ask if I can take photos, however, it's hard to get near the cars, they are in the back of a dark storage building blocked in by garbage trucks and dump trucks. His business leaves no time for the cars anymore inculding the XSRs. For now, they must sit and collect dust. Oh, that small white Tomy Pocket Car made in Japan in 1978? Do you know why that little metal car was issued? The red XSR was on display for a short time at one of Japan's new car shows for the 77 model year. They were so impressed with the XSR that the Tomy Pocket Car Company was asked to issue a model of the car. Very few know about this.

Last edited by Herbie; October 11th, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old October 11th, 2014, 04:59 PM

So the first question that comes to mind....what's with all the garbage trucks?

If you can, please snap some pics of these other cars, especially the 98's.
Old October 11th, 2014, 06:42 PM

So the first question that comes to mind....what's with all the garbage trucks?

If you can, please snap some pics of these other cars, especially the 98's.
He is in the garbage business. That is one of the reasons he can own all these cars. As for photos, I have to ask first. His car collection is not open to the public so it's not right to post photos of someone else's cars unless they give the ok.
Old October 11th, 2014, 07:17 PM

Of course, you need permission from the cars' owner. I'm very curious about the 98's and all of the acrs cars.
Old October 19th, 2014, 09:50 PM

I have 78 tornado rear wraparound window

Originally Posted by Bens71442
Yes- remarkably this thread is over 4 years old..... I have no idea about the posters original acquisition of a 1978 Toronado with T-tops.....and since finding this thread and commenting such that I have- it still is a 4 year old thread to begin with.

I wish the original author would have posted pictures to begin with, and if he still follows this thread- update us at least lol...... after all- I we can never get enough XSR in our lives.....

As for parts I have the following from a 1978 which was the Dark Cherry color (as shown in the 1978 Brochure)

I have a unbroken XS (rear window) and interior panels of BOTH the rear inner quarters, in a red vinyl color, which are nice, the last time I seen them.

I live in Macomb twsp, MI.... north of Detroit, 30 mins.

PS- my math was wrong- this thread is sadly- almost 6 1/2 years old!!! June of 2007 gee wiz !

--Ben

ppss: I do not have any trim or parts from the moon roof I'm sorry
Old June 5th, 2017, 11:58 AM
www.gbodyolds.com

That book ever make it to print?
Old June 9th, 2017, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 88hurstolds
That book ever make it to print?
The book is 40% finished. It's being done on a part time basis due to time restrictions. All in due time. Thanks for asking.
Old June 9th, 2017, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Some how I missed this thread way back when, very interesting.
Old December 14th, 2018, 09:15 PM

Xsr

I have the grey one in my garage here in Michigan. It was never scrapped. 😉
Old December 15th, 2018, 05:31 PM

Question

Originally Posted by Cjmoncada
What was that you just said?
Old December 17th, 2018, 08:30 AM

Question Your comment about the silver car?

Originally Posted by Cjmoncada
Although the gray, actually it's silver, Toronado spent most of it's life hiding in storage in Michigan, for almost 10 years now, it's been on display in a private New Jersey Classic Car Museum parked along side the red Toronado. I just saw both cars last week. You made quite a claim there, then did not come back to explain your comment. I think many of us would like to hear back from you on this topic. We are waiting for you....
Old December 19th, 2018, 08:38 AM

XSR on dispaly

Is the pair of XSR's available to see at this private museum? last picture I seen it was parked in a tight area with other classic cars, that almost appeared to encapsulate the pair never to be seen again? Both XSR's were in desperate need of a car washing.

Although the gray, actually it's silver, Toronado spent most of it's life hiding in storage in Michigan, for almost 10 years now, it's been on display in a private New Jersey Classic Car Museum parked along side the red Toronado. I just saw both cars last week. You made quite a claim there, then did not come back to explain your comment. I think many of us would like to hear back from you on this topic. We are waiting for you....
Old December 20th, 2018, 01:58 PM

Although it is a tight fit in the area where the cars are stored, we can get the cars out with a bit of work. Had them both out together all polished up last year at a local car meet. Here is a photo from that meet. Thanks for asking Ben. It would be nice to hear back from this "Cjmoncada" guy who "claims" to have the silver/gray car in his garage in Michigan and that it was never scrapped. Well, no kidding it was not scrapped. The current owner knew this from the start and kept his mouth shut until he was able to finally secure the car. I knew it too. We all played dumb which is why the cars are both together today and that is the way it should be. Silver XSR is with her sister red XSR now. Now, this new guy just signs up on the site to make a claim and then drops off the planet. I don't understand why some people pull this crap. Just to get a reaction? He never responded back. Well, can you prove this Cjmoncade? No you can not which is why you did not reply again.
Old December 20th, 2018, 08:58 PM

Now, this new guy just signs up on the site to make a claim and then drops off the planet. I don't understand why some people pull this crap. Just to get a reaction? He never responded back. Well, can you prove this Cjmoncade? No you can not which is why you did not reply again.
jeopardy question, for $800 alex?what is a douchebag!

Old January 1st, 2019, 08:21 AM

Where was this car show? I was hoping the XSR's would make a showing at the OCA Nationals in Ghettysburg,PA. in 2018
Old January 1st, 2019, 12:00 PM

Where was this car show? I was hoping the XSR's would make a showing at the OCA Nationals in Ghettysburg,PA. in 2018
This was a local show only a few miles from where the cars are stored. Next time the OCA Nationals come back to New Jersey, hopefully soon since it's been almost 20 years, the cars should be at the event. Owner is pressed for time with business so it's hard to haul both cars to a week long meet. It sure would be nice however.
Old January 21st, 2019, 08:36 PM

How about some interior shots of the grey XSR......to help lift our spirits, from the winter time blues.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 10:09 AM

Here you go. Enjoy.

How about some interior shots of the grey XSR......to help lift our spirits, from the winter time blues.
Here you go. The cars are the exact same inside and both interiors held up well. No rips on the seats and no worn areas on the carpets. They still have a bit of that GM new car smell. Both cars have really low miles from very little use. Enjoy.

Old February 4th, 2019, 08:36 AM

cool!!