Oil pressure hose broken - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Oil pressure hose broken

Old November 18th, 2014, 03:51 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
koen2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 19
Oil pressure hose broken

the hose from my oil pressure gauge is broken. I now wish that linking only the hose is thickened by the pressure. Now I get the gold nut not through the tubing. does anyone know how I get through it again or do I need a new hose which is not expelled, Thanks, sorry for my bad english
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20141114_145555.jpg (47.8 KB, 76 views)
koen2k is offline  
Old November 18th, 2014, 04:00 AM
  #2  
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Poteau, Ok
Posts: 31,411
You will need a new compression fitting. You can buy them at your parts store or you can get a new line kit. They sell the line kits in plastic and metal.
oldcutlass is online now  
Old November 18th, 2014, 05:52 AM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
koen2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
You will need a new compression fitting. You can buy them at your parts store or you can get a new line kit. They sell the line kits in plastic and metal.
Thanks for youre reply, i cant heat the old line and put it back on?
Otherwise i will buy a new line
koen2k is offline  
Old November 18th, 2014, 06:20 AM
  #4  
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Poteau, Ok
Posts: 31,411
The compression fitting ferrule crushes on the line when tightened, so you can't reuse it. If you buy a new fitting you can repair it and use the old line.
oldcutlass is online now  
Old November 18th, 2014, 07:03 AM
  #5  
Connoisseur d'Junque
 
MDchanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Hudson Valley
Posts: 21,179
The ferrule is really the only part that you need. It is consumable and can only be used on one line - once it is tightened, it will not come off and cannot be reused on another line.
The nut and the fitting screwed into the engine can be reused.

Google «⅛" compression fitting ferrule».

This may be a good time to switch from nylon to copper tubing, which should be more durable.

- Eric
MDchanic is offline  
Old November 18th, 2014, 08:13 AM
  #6  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 31,455
Personally, I'd be more worried about that short section of hose from the thermostat housing to the water pump. That doesn't look too healthy, either.
joe_padavano is offline  
Old November 18th, 2014, 09:07 AM
  #7  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,286
My first thought too

so, what is that OTHER huge horizontal hose and the other smaller hose protected by a piece of old heater hose?
Octania is offline  
Old November 18th, 2014, 09:23 AM
  #8  
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Poteau, Ok
Posts: 31,411
I believe his car runs on propane, hence the extra hoses.
oldcutlass is online now  
Old November 18th, 2014, 09:25 AM
  #9  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 31,455
Originally Posted by Octania View Post
My first thought too

so, what is that OTHER huge horizontal hose and the other smaller hose protected by a piece of old heater hose?
From his other thread, the car is a 73 D88 with a propane conversion. The smaller horizontal hose looks like the ones coming out of the propane tanks in his trunk, so I'm assuming that's what it's for. The larger radiator-ish hose is a mystery. Hot water heating for the propane carb?
joe_padavano is offline  
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:03 AM
  #10  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
koen2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
Personally, I'd be more worried about that short section of hose from the thermostat housing to the water pump. That doesn't look too healthy, either.
Haha true, i replaced that hose, during that i broke the oil gauge
koen2k is offline  
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:03 AM
  #11  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
koen2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
From his other thread, the car is a 73 D88 with a propane conversion. The smaller horizontal hose looks like the ones coming out of the propane tanks in his trunk, so I'm assuming that's what it's for. The larger radiator-ish hose is a mystery. Hot water heating for the propane carb?
Thats true
koen2k is offline  
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:04 AM
  #12  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
koen2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by MDchanic View Post
The ferrule is really the only part that you need. It is consumable and can only be used on one line - once it is tightened, it will not come off and cannot be reused on another line.
The nut and the fitting screwed into the engine can be reused.

Google «⅛" compression fitting ferrule».

This may be a good time to switch from nylon to copper tubing, which should be more durable.

- Eric
thanks Eric, i found one
koen2k is offline  
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:07 AM
  #13  
Registered User
 
droldsmorland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Tax York
Posts: 2,936
Jegs and Summit among others sell the line and fittings in a kit. I like copper line vs plastic.
droldsmorland is offline  
Old November 18th, 2014, 04:34 PM
  #14  
Moderator
 
Lady72nRob71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 11,798
Since that section broke, you can bet it may be waiting to break elsewhere, too. Inside the car would be even worse! I broke the one on my old Ford when changing oil, so I replaced the whole thing. it was over 2 years old anyway - plastic turns brittle over time. Tape the end of the new tubing to the old and just pull it gently through. Use grommets where it is up against holes or such. Do not overtighten the nuts though - easy to do with nylon or thin copper.
Lady72nRob71 is offline  
Old November 28th, 2014, 02:48 AM
  #15  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
koen2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 19
I finally received my new kit. the new lock ring fits easily on the wire. I'm afraid if i attach it now wants to slip. Am I wrong?
The hose must not be linked through the left fitting right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20141128_112233 (1).jpg (46.9 KB, 17 views)
koen2k is offline  
Old November 28th, 2014, 03:50 AM
  #16  
Connoisseur d'Junque
 
MDchanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Hudson Valley
Posts: 21,179
When you tighten the nut, the ferrule will compress against the tubing and become tight, which is why it's called a compression fitting.

The tubing pushes into the base portion as far as it will go, then the nut is tightened, compressing the ferrule.

I'm not sure what you mean by "linked."

And you do have only one ferrule on there, right? It almost looks like two, back-to-back.

- Eric
MDchanic is offline  
Old November 28th, 2014, 05:22 AM
  #17  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
koen2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by MDchanic View Post
When you tighten the nut, the ferrule will compress against the tubing and become tight, which is why it's called a compression fitting.

The tubing pushes into the base portion as far as it will go, then the nut is tightened, compressing the ferrule.

I'm not sure what you mean by "linked."

And you do have only one ferrule on there, right? It almost looks like two, back-to-back.

- Eric
Thanks for your answer Eric,
Yes its tight now i figured it out

With linked i mean connected.

there is only one ferrule, i thought the same, but its new, they dont have the old ones back to front
koen2k is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Sampson
General Discussion
15
March 24th, 2015 09:33 AM
foreverolds
Big Blocks
29
December 1st, 2012 07:07 PM
knighthawk
Body work
5
March 16th, 2011 09:05 AM
Railguy
Tech Editor's Desk
0
July 25th, 2010 02:36 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil pressure hose broken


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.