Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Fuel injection swaps

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:12 AM
Mostly Gristle

Fuel injection swaps

I hope there is not a fundamental reason that I am missing that make this a silly question.

That said, I see many aftermarket FI systems that are quite expensive, some throttle body, some port injection.

Why can't we use a FI setup off of a more modern junkyard car, as long as the number of cylinders is the same and displacement is similar?

Clearly you would need a proper intake manifold and likely a way to alter the fuel map on the ECU.

I'm thinking late-model general motors 454 injection in an Olds 455. Seems to me that you could buy an entire running parts car/truck for less than the price of the aftermarket systems that Summit / Jegs etc. sell.

What am I missing? What are the stumbling blocks? Has anybody here done this?
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:02 AM

Ive never done this but have considered trying it for some time. I dont know what problems you may run into but seems fairly straight forward, especially if you use tbi. if you do this post up your results. also I was looking for cars that were throttle body injection as well as still used a standard distributor to further ease the swap.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:15 AM
Mostly Gristle

I'd be much more inclined to look for a sequential port injection setup as the Throttle-body systems always seemed like a compromise; too much like an electric carb.
I have no plans to do this right away. Just asking for future reference when I have the car done and have time to experiment with it.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Here is a discussion from a few years ago.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...injection.html

And an install from someone else.

http://www.grimers.com/vehicles/olds/403efi/index.html
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

The easiest way to do this is a TBI swap from a similarly-sized Chevy truck motor. The 305 PROM is close enough for a 307 Olds, the 350 works on an Olds 350, and the 454 works on a 455 Olds. Don't expect a performance boost from the stock TBI setup, however. You will get easier starting and probably a little better mileage. The Olds 307 CCC distributor works with the TBI system if you simply rewire the connector. If you have a modified engine, however, you will need to get into the PROM programming. Moates is a good source for software and programming tools, including a PROM emulator that lets you run the car off your laptop until you get the fuel and spark curves dialed in, at which point you can burn a PROM.