Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Here are the dimensions of those Power Steering Pump Spacers

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Here are the dimensions of those Power Steering Pump Spacers

So earlier today I realized that I had both spacers in my hand and a caliper on the bench, so I measured them.

This has probably been covered in another thread, but I thought I should post it clearly and explicitly.

Large spacer, goes between block and rear-projecting "wing" of pump bracket, at hole that is the frontmost of three that could hold a motor mount:

0.402" height
0.467" ID
0.816" OD

Small Spacer, goes between timing indicator and lower front hole of pump bracket, at stud that goes through the top hole of the timing indicator:

0.631" height
0.400" ID
0.563" OD

- Eric
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Excellent, thanks Eric.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, Eric's first spacer ("large spacer") is number 398917 on the following drawing. The second ("small spacer") is number 404353. And for those who wonder WHY Olds used spacers here, the reason is kinda shown in the drawing. The Toro differential bracket uses the same hole on the side of the block as the PS pump bracket, so for RWD cars you need spacer no. 1. The Toro front motor mount goes under the PS pump bracket at the bottom of the front cover, thus the need for spacer no. 2 on RWD cars.

There's also a little "gotcha" on 1968-70 B/C-body cars and 1973-74 Omegas. Due to the rear steer design on those cars and the forward location of the crossmember, the motor mount uses the front two of three motor mount holes on the side of the block. On those cars, spacer no. 1 is reduced in thickness by the thickness of the mounting ear on the motor mount.

wel186.jpg
Old June 30th, 2013, 01:38 PM

the thread about pulley not lining up and this previous drawing helped me figure out my PS brackets. Someone else removed the parts and I was stuck - I have the assembly manual but these drawings were not included -

THANKS JOE
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:57 PM

I have the CSM but the diagram is not near this nice. I even scanned it at high res and it doesn't compare. Curious where you got this Joe.
Old June 18th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That's from the Assembly Manual, Mac.

It's got a lot of neat stuff like that, if you go through it carefully.

- Eric
Old June 25th, 2014, 09:11 AM

I recently installed a pump and brackets on a 455.

The most common missing part I've seen (or not seen) is the #555698 large flat washer that goes between the pump body and the bracket at the adjustment slot bolt. If you install the pump without it it will bend the bracket and the pulleys will not align properly.

Another mistake I've seen more than once is that people install a bolt where the #9419995 screw holds the two brackets together.

Old June 25th, 2014, 10:53 AM

THANK YOU, Doctor-chanic

Now, I wonder, why did the factory not bother to specify the ONE DAMN PIECE OF INFO on that drawing that would allow one to make such a spacer? Didn't suit their needs I guess.

Well, lo these many moons later, it DOES suit our needs. Now, any idiot can figure out what the ID should be- big enough to clear the bolt. The OD has to be small enough to serve yet big enough to work also. Large acceptable range there. Stack of washers might do the trick if need be.

In case folks are stuck sorting parts or making do with a stack of washers, I offer here for the first time ever seen, the above illustration WITH THE DAMN SPACER LENGTHS SHOWN.

You are welcome.

Share and save as you wish. Please right click and SAVE IMAGE AS on your machine so that many copies exist.

Thanks to all who contributed.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...g?t=1403718479

14176_PSSpacers_to-11_zps6f64bc42.jpg?t=1403718479
Old June 25th, 2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
That's from the Assembly Manual, Mac.

It's got a lot of neat stuff like that, if you go through it carefully.

- Eric
Yeah, I have it on my computer now. Drawings are much better.

Originally Posted by Octania
THANK YOU, Doctor-chanic

Now, I wonder, why did the factory not bother to specify the ONE DAMN PIECE OF INFO on that drawing that would allow one to make such a spacer? Didn't suit their needs I guess.

Well, lo these many moons later, it DOES suit our needs. Now, any idiot can figure out what the ID should be- big enough to clear the bolt. The OD has to be small enough to serve yet big enough to work also. Large acceptable range there. Stack of washers might do the trick if need be.

In case folks are stuck sorting parts or making do with a stack of washers, I offer here for the first time ever seen, the above illustration WITH THE DAMN SPACER LENGTHS SHOWN.

You are welcome.

Share and save as you wish. Please right click and SAVE IMAGE AS on your machine so that many copies exist.

Thanks to all who contributed.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...g?t=1403718479

Nicely done.
Old June 25th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Octania
THANK YOU, Doctor-chanic

Now, I wonder, why did the factory not bother to specify the ONE DAMN PIECE OF INFO on that drawing that would allow one to make such a spacer?
You're welcome, Earl of Octania.

The answer, of course, is that the Assembly Manual wasn't telling them how to make the parts, only which parts from which bins went where.
How to make the spacers went on a different spec. sheet to a different Division or supplier.
Considering how much information is contained in an Assembly Manual (essentially enough to construct an Oldsmobile factory), they didn't want to confuse anyone with any information that was not essential to his job.

Thanks for annotating that page - it's quite helpful.

- Eric
Old September 6th, 2016, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Yeah, I have it on my computer now. Drawings are much better.

Nicely done.
Would this be the same on a 307 with AC? 88 cutlass supreme?
Old September 6th, 2016, 07:48 PM

I want to throw out a big Thank You for this info. My spacers were AWOL from a PO's rebuild . I bought some tube stock and cut my own spacers with the given dimensions!

Thanks again!!!
Old September 7th, 2016, 05:38 AM

Good info here,this applies to 68 442 also?
Old September 7th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Stevec
Good info here,this applies to 68 442 also?
This info applies to EVERY 1968-1990 Olds V8 with power steering. And to avoid a follow up question, yes, "every" includes the 307s.

NOTE that the 68-70 full size cars and the 73-74 Omegas use a shorter spacer at the side of the block. This is due to the fact that those cars have the motor mounts in the forward position and the spacer needs to be thinner to account for the thickness of the motor mount. Same goes for the Toros, where the front differential bracket uses that same bolt hole.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 10:24 AM

555698 was the missing spacer. Thank you so much. I made the other ones but missed this one.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 11:45 AM

That's awesome !!!
I can't tell you how many times I've had to stack any # of combinations of washers to get the alignment correct.
VERY helpful information!
-peter
Old May 23rd, 2020, 09:28 PM

you guys!!!

ROCK

You guys are something else This is great!!!!
Old August 16th, 2020, 07:11 AM
RWK

Great info, I'm a newbie, and my spacer was missing also,and was going to have to fit it by trial and error, with the dim's., much easier! going to make one for myself,(have lathe) will make a few extra's if anyone needs one, PM me.
Old October 11th, 2021, 10:28 PM

I have 2 each '68 Olds 350 engines and 1 each '68 Olds 455 engine and 1 each '70 Olds 350 engine. The '68 engines had a 9/16" hex stock spacer with about 1 inch long 3/8" threads on each end. I have reproduced these spacers if anyone is interested. I am out of town and don't have my notes with me so I'm not sure of the part number.
Old March 9th, 2023, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
So earlier today I realized that I had both spacers in my hand and a caliper on the bench, so I measured them.

This has probably been covered in another thread, but I thought I should post it clearly and explicitly.

Large spacer, goes between block and rear-projecting "wing" of pump bracket, at hole that is the frontmost of three that could hold a motor mount:

0.402" height
0.467" ID
0.816" OD

Small Spacer, goes between timing indicator and lower front hole of pump bracket, at stud that goes through the top hole of the timing indicator:

0.631" height
0.400" ID
0.563" OD

- Eric
Old thread so I don't expect this to work, but does anyone have the LENGTH of the bolt that is used with the larger OD lower spacer? Thanks!