Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

1977 cutlass speedo cable

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2017, 01:39 PM

1977 cutlass speedo cable

Been having trouble getting my speedometer to work after my restoration. Seemed like a simple thing to troubleshoot, but noooooo! So i disconnect the cable at the cruise control module to speedo pod. Turn by hand the needle moves. Reconnect. Disconnect cable at transmission. Connect drill to the end. Speedo reads 23 MPH. Ok must be the transmission gear. Remove driven gear, seems OK. Install new gear, check mating surfaces on drive gear, turn transmission by hand all seems OK. Re-install. Speed still not working. Inspect cable, both ends have a compressed square on each end about an inch long, cable in great condition. So what am i missing? Tried looking up info on cable length etc. Seems to be all over the place with correct length. Any suggestions?
Mike