Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Recharging A/ C 67 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2017, 09:09 AM

Recharging A/ C 67 Cutlass

Rebuilt my original system and now looking to charge it. Have replaced all o rings, drier, and converted to R-134. Have pulled vacuum on the system and all seems fine. My question is which pag oil and how much do I add to the system? I removed as much original oil from the A6 compressor as I could. I will have to recharge it with cans as I don't have access to anything else. Do the cans of refrigerant already contain oil? Thanks.
Old August 16th, 2017, 11:21 AM

134a is not generally oil charged so you will need to add the correct oil compatible with the refrigerant used. If you know how much old oil you removed I would add that amount plus a little more.
Old August 17th, 2017, 04:43 AM

Good question! Consider this, the oil is primarily for the compressor. The orig was a 525 Viscosity. Do you cater the oil to the 134 or what the compressor required with the 12 seeing you are using the orig. A6???
Old August 17th, 2017, 05:19 AM

You add the oil prior to pulling the vacuum. Usually, you remove the compressor, and drain the oil from the sump. The oil is running throughout the system, so you should flush as much out as possible.
Old August 19th, 2017, 11:08 AM

Thanks. Air is now working, blowing cold. Highest speed on the fan not working, checked the wire resistor and it looks okay. What else could it be?