Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Pertronix Electronic Ignition

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2017, 05:20 AM

Pertronix Electronic Ignition

I am attempting to convert the distributor on my 1955 Olds to Pertronix Electronix parts. The installation chart indicates the ballast resistor on this car should be removed. That being the case are the yellow and black/brown wires previously routed through the ballast (which lead to the ignition switch & the starter) supposed to be connected to the positive side of the Pertronix Flame thrower Coil?
Old February 18th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you want to leave the resistor there for looks, just connect the Pertronix to the primary side which has a full 12 volts.
Old February 18th, 2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ranmat2
I am attempting to convert the distributor on my 1955 Olds to Pertronix Electronix parts. The installation chart indicates the ballast resistor on this car should be removed. That being the case are the yellow and black/brown wires previously routed through the ballast (which lead to the ignition switch & the starter) supposed to be connected to the positive side of the Pertronix Flame thrower Coil?
Old February 18th, 2017, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
If you want to leave the resistor there for looks, just connect the Pertronix to the primary side which has a full 12 volts.
If I decide to not leave the resistor there do I connect yellow and black wires (my understanding is the yellow goes to the ignition switch inside the car and the black to the starter) to the coil. And if so yellow goes to positive and the black to the negative?
Old February 18th, 2017, 05:41 PM

If I decide to NOT leave the resistor in place do I connect the yellow & black wires from wiring harness (my reasoning is the yellow wire would be connected to the positive side of the coil and black to the negative side of the coil? Thanks for your help.
Old February 18th, 2017, 08:37 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't remember the color of the wires. I will try and look at my car tomorrow.
Old February 18th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Administrator

This should help, move both wires that go to the resister to either terminal. Leave the stock power wiring to the coil and add the igniter wires as per the center diagram.

Old February 19th, 2017, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
This should help, move both wires that go to the resister to either terminal. Leave the stock power wiring to the coil and add the igniter wires as per the center diagram.

Thank you so much. This helps tremendously.