Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

69 cutlass emission controls???

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2016, 05:27 AM
dualquadpete

69 cutlass emission controls???

Trying to see what my car had for emission controls. Intake has been changed to aluminium 4 bbl. with Edlebrock perfomer Carb. The "emission Police here in southern Ontario have been "hitting" on older cars for roadside "visual" inspections & fines for missing equipment are "pretty heavy"!!! I know my "open" air cleaner is Illegal, & heat stove pipe & shields are gone, don't see any signs of "charcoal canister" & fuel tank only has 1 outlet, no return!! SO 2 pieces missing so far is almost a $ 800 Fine if get stopped in summer OUCH
Old December 27th, 2016, 05:38 AM
Hookers under Hood

That's odd, I didn't think they picked on anything pre 1973. I have been pulled over for my exhaust sounding too loud in town with headers and 44 series flowmasters, but they let me go with no cats etc. Mentioned if it was a 77 the fines could have been hefty. I think you will be just fine with your 68'

Eric
Old December 27th, 2016, 05:43 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

There is no charcoal canister in that year. Not sure if they will know a QJet from that AFB, I would switch anyways. Grind off the Edelbrock on the front of the intake, although the Performer is a emissions replacement. If there are any Olds powered cars at the wreckers there, your best bet is a 1988 Cutlass or the B/D body cars, the wagons and Caprice got the 307 till 1990. If there is nothing around, put something in the parts wanted section. We have 0 emissions testing here in Saskatchewan, sure is awesome. Your car has very little from the factory anyways.
Old December 27th, 2016, 05:46 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by 76olds
That's odd, I didn't think they picked on anything pre 1973. I have been pulled over for my exhaust sounding too loud in town with headers and 44 series flowmasters, but they let me go with no cats etc. Mentioned if it was a 77 the fines could have been hefty. I think you will be just fine with your 68'

Eric
Is 76 the cutoff year or does it change every year, as in something 40 years old?
Old December 27th, 2016, 06:08 AM

Is there any way that you can register it as a "classic" or "antique"? Here in New Jersey we call them QQ plates. One inspection just to get them and then that's it. You can basically do what you want after that. I have never heard of anyone getting pulled over unless they are driving like a ***. I guess there's always a chance that a cop will give you a rough time but local cops seem like they don't want to be bothered.
Tom
Old December 27th, 2016, 06:19 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Is 76 the cutoff year or does it change every year, as in something 40 years old?
They don't generally pick on anything up here pre 77 actually according to the cop that pulled me over. I happen to be driving to the senior condo units visiting my grandmother when I was pulled over. I guess my car was a little loud for the zone. This particular area has green bicycle templates painted on the roads within a few blocks around the building.
I think the emission cutoff here is anything over 20 years not requiring testing but I'm not 100% sure. 20 years rings a bell for some reason.
Old December 27th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

I can't speak to the laws in Canada, but a factory Chassis Service Manual will show you exactly what was installed in 1969. The bottom line is NOTHING. The evap cannister was a mid-1970 addition. Transmission controlled spark also did not show up until 1970. The only "emissions" related items at all from the factory in 1969 were the air cleaner that ducted warm air to the carb for quick warm up and the similar heat riser flapper in the driver's side exhaust manifold.
Old December 27th, 2016, 06:53 AM
dualquadpete

Anything under 88 here in [some] parts Ontario doesn't have to be tested BUT you are required to have "ALL" emission equipment in place if stopped for roadside inspection!! This includes a engine swap, if newer engine ,lets say a late 80,s or 90.s you have to have all the 'crap" that came with that engine!!! Northern part of province is exempt from actual testing, why I don't know?? Friend got "nailed" $1500 on 68 Beaumont with 86Vette engine & didn't have the "junk" off 86 engine!!! Yes they check engine #'s in computer right there. The area I'm in [around Oshawa & north part of Durham region] is a "cash Cow" for gov. pete
Old December 27th, 2016, 06:58 AM
dualquadpete

I do have it registered with "historic" plates & Insurance but that doesn't stop the MOE [Ministry of Environment] from roadside checks!!
Old December 27th, 2016, 07:17 AM
Administrator

The only thing your car had is a PCV valve. I don't think you are in any danger of getting fined for an open air cleaner.
Old December 27th, 2016, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by dualquadpete
Anything under 88 here in [some] parts Ontario doesn't have to be tested BUT you are required to have "ALL" emission equipment in place if stopped for roadside inspection!! This includes a engine swap, if newer engine ,lets say a late 80,s or 90.s you have to have all the 'crap" that came with that engine!!! Northern part of province is exempt from actual testing, why I don't know?? Friend got "nailed" $1500 on 68 Beaumont with 86Vette engine & didn't have the "junk" off 86 engine!!! Yes they check engine #'s in computer right there. The area I'm in [around Oshawa & north part of Durham region] is a "cash Cow" for gov. pete
IMO: That seems a little extreme. These cars are hobbyist vehicles which are normally driven only during the summer and then only once or twice a week. This can't be any worse than a campfire burning for the same time period. And those folks who drive older model trucks year round probably do so because they cannot afford a newer vehicle. So I imagine the fines would put those folks into bankruptcy court as well. Not very polite. LOL

North Carolina was getting pretty bad with their vehicle inspections as well. As a result of high taxes and quite excessive vehicle regulations I moved to Alabama. Here we can enjoy our classic cars without the worry of an over zealot police officer harassing us. Or excessive fines.

IMO: Fines are revenue producing and not really for environmental change. And these kinds of regulations affect the wrong people. Most folks these days cannot afford to keep a car's emissions system fully operational after two decades of use.

These are my opinions only.
Old December 28th, 2016, 03:20 AM
dualquadpete

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The only thing your car had is a PCV valve. I don't think you are in any danger of getting fined for an open air cleaner.
Unfortunately, your wrong!!! a open air cleaner is and has been charged up here!!!! These inspectors do "anything" to justify their jobs & keep the fines coming in!!!
Old December 28th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by dualquadpete
Unfortunately, your wrong!!! a open air cleaner is and has been charged up here!!!! These inspectors do "anything" to justify their jobs & keep the fines coming in!!!
I've never heard of such a fine up here, So many guys I know have open air cleaners from Northern Ontario -- through the GTA and down to the Ottawa Valley your neck of the woods, Blackstock-Oshawa-Peterborough as well, Never heard of anyone getting fined.
I think you getting paranoid for no reason.
Enjoy your car and don't worry about it.

Eric
Old December 28th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

I've never heard of such a fine up here, So many guys I know have open air cleaners from Northern Ontario -- through the GTA and down to the Ottawa Valley your neck of the woods, Blackstock-Oshawa-Peterborough as well, Never heard of anyone getting fined.

Eric
Like I said, I have no knowledge of the laws or enforcement in Canada, however this appears to be a revenue stream that has been overlooked until now. In the US (and I bet also in Canada), federal law prohibits removing or tampering with ANY factory-installed emissions equipment. Yeah, no one ever gets caught on this, but the point is, they CAN enforce that law any time they need additional revenue. In VA, cars over 25 years old are exempt from emissions testing, but there is still an annual state safety inspection. The law for the safety inspection requirements was changed in 2012 to include checking to ensure all factory emissions equipment was in place.

My wife's 1985 D88 was flunked on my SAFETY inspection this year because I had removed the A.I.R. pump when it seized up.
Old December 28th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=joe_padavano; In VA, cars over 25 years old are exempt from emissions testing, but there is still an annual state safety inspection. The law for the safety inspection requirements was changed in 2012 to include checking to ensure all factory emissions equipment was in place.

My wife's 1985 D88 was flunked on my SAFETY inspection this year because I had removed the A.I.R. pump when it seized up.[/QUOTE]

Once a car has been certified to be safe for the road up here in Canada you don't have to get it Re-certified for as long as you own the car. Only a car that is:, I believe under 20 years old (could be 25yrs) need to be emission tested only every two years, but not re-certified.
I have owned my Cutlass since 1997, When I purchased it I had to have it certified but not emission tested.
I haven't had to put it through any inspections since 1997, if I sell the car then I will need to be certified or sold as is to the new purchaser.
I haven't heard of anyone getting finned for not having pollution controlled parts on car that no longer requires a sefety or emission testing.
What the OP is describing (FINES) is news to me and I'm sure to most others up here in Canada as well.
Old December 28th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Bottom line, to answer the OP's question, and to repeat what Joe and Eric said in different posts:

1969 emission control equipment consisted of a PCV valve, a manifold heat riser, and the "Controlled Combustion System," which is to say the exhaust manifold stove, manifold hot air intake pipe, and snorkel air cleaner with vacuum controlled thermostatic air diverter valve.

- Eric
Old December 29th, 2016, 11:11 AM
dualquadpete

Eric
You,ve been lucky, friend in Port Perry has been stopped 3 times by MOE in his 1980 Indy Pace truck, has all the stuff on it but they keep checking in case he;s removed anything, at least 4 others, [I know] have been fined "heavily" for missing equipment & 2 hot rods have had there engine #'s run at roadside check,1 passed other did not, so it is happening here, your just lucky your in Northern Ontario and Inspectors aren't up there "YET"!!!!
Old December 29th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Hookers under Hood

I hope I and many others continue to be lucky. Do you have any plans on adding some of the factory emission equipment to your 68 that has been removed ? Which sounds like a PCV & factory breather with stove pipe. I suppose I will have to keep my eyes open this summer for the MOE police.

Eric
Old December 30th, 2016, 03:53 AM
dualquadpete

Looking for stock air cleaner & stove pipe "crap" for my 69 but wreckers in this area have "crushed" EVERYTHING below 2005 it seems!!!!! Wreckers In West Virginia seem to be the same, more $$$ in scrap [even though prices are down] Wondering if I did get stopped & went to court, if no availability would work??????
Old December 30th, 2016, 04:20 AM
Old School Olds

Pete, I have this one available but no pipe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2822.JPG (215.0 KB, 14 views)
IMG_2823.JPG (242.5 KB, 14 views)
IMG_2824.JPG (224.4 KB, 14 views)
IMG_2825.JPG (259.6 KB, 15 views)
Old December 30th, 2016, 04:42 AM
Old School Olds

Just for a visual, here is what the lower factory mount for the pipe looks like.
It snaps on the lower part of the manifold, and has a nut coming from a head bolt to firmly attach it to the manifold. It has two small screw holes to hold the lower part of the pipe on the bottom.

Keep in mind the pics are for a BB engine. I am not sure the SB is the same type mount. It probably wouldn't fit with headers anyway if you do find one.
Attached Images
IMG_2826.JPG (238.6 KB, 14 views)
IMG_2827.JPG (249.4 KB, 13 views)
IMG_2828.JPG (246.6 KB, 13 views)
IMG_2829.JPG (220.8 KB, 14 views)
Old December 30th, 2016, 05:43 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I too have a 307 air cleaner, you can have for shipping, the stove pipe piece I had, burnt on the Olds 4x4, gone. I know where there is a late 80's Caprice with an Olds 307. I won't be going there till spring, I think I will grab the CCC distributor, as they are rare up here and I may have future plans for it. I hope none of that crap comes to Saskatchewan, Wall will fight but Justin might force it in.
Old December 30th, 2016, 02:47 PM

Only PVC, but quadrajet had lean primary rods to pass emissions starting around '68 or so. rod and jet difference should be around 30ish per Cliff's quadrajet book.

Last edited by FStanley; January 22nd, 2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old February 8th, 2017, 04:54 AM
dualquadpete

After new cats installed!!! Read the last line on emission test!!!
Old February 8th, 2017, 06:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There's nothing there to read.

And are you saying that you installed catalytic converters on a '69 Olds?

- Eric
Old February 8th, 2017, 03:26 PM
dualquadpete

NO got this off Canadian Poncho site, last line of emission test reads 'all vehicles subject to road side inspection" original posting there showed a failure until he replaces both "CATS"
Old February 8th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I don't understand.

Without being able to read whatever you posted, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you saying that someone with a 1969 LeMans was told by Canadian authorities that he needed to install catalytic converters?

Even in Canada, I find this hard to believe.

- Eric
Old February 8th, 2017, 05:26 PM
dualquadpete

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I don't understand.

Without being able to read whatever you posted, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you saying that someone with a 1969 LeMans was told by Canadian authorities that he needed to install catalytic converters?

Even in Canada, I find this hard to believe.

- Eric
no it was a 04 chevy p/up that failed emissions test and he had to replace both Cats to get it passed, what I was trying to show but wouldn't paste, was the last line that ays "all vehicles are subject to roadside inspection [whether a classic or not] so even if vehicle doesn't require a annual emission test due to age, here, you still can get pulled over by MOE [ministry of environment ] for a visual inspection of components, and face "hefty' fines if pieces missing!!!!
Old February 8th, 2017, 05:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Technically, the same applies in the US - any tampering with emission controls, regardless of the age of the vehicle, carries a Federal $10,000 fine.

- Eric
Old February 8th, 2017, 06:26 PM

OPP are the gestapo of the north. They make sheriff Buford T Justice look like a nice guy.