Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Air Cleaner Housing Side by Side Comparison

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2014, 10:53 PM

Air Cleaner Housing Side by Side Comparison

Sticking my neck out here but...what are the differences between an Olds `74-up HEI era/4 Barrel Air Cleaner Housing and the other GM stuff, say specifically Chevy? I'm not talking the obvious like Snorkel/Horn clocking and locations/ lengths and dias. Rather a side by side comparison to how it sits on the carb. The relationship of filter element to carb in height or vertical plane mostly. It needs to fit the stock element about 10x12x3.5?, I'm using K&Ns #E1500. Since it will go on a non-Rochester this time, I already know the Speed Demon float-level adjusters will interfere. I'll likely mill off material from the bowls where the adjusters seat and shorten the threaded adjusters, whatever. I think I need to gain something like 1/4 in or so. Hood clearance is an issue with the Edelbrock Performer Plus Manifold.
I am going to replace the housing I have that I fitted a hose to the base of the windshield cavity through the firewall. Cold air intake mostly. (It sucks enough gas at 8-1/2 MPG for pretending to force more down the throttle bores. lol) I removed the original snorkel blocking it off. I then made a suitable fitting at the back passenger side for the OEM wire-reinforced hose shortened to 11" long that went to the firewall. Worked well and I liked the esthetics it impressed on the rest of the engine bay. But it got bent badly, don't ask, and I need to replace it.
I believe I originally got it off a mid-70 something Toronado along with the hose. I read somewhere that the Toro assemblies were drop design for hood clearance, but I suspect that was typical IE (internet error) and the clearance was gained not by air cleaner to carb relationship but intake manifold design. Possibly engine mounting, too. Can anyone confirm that Toronado assemblies are the same as other Olds? If the Toronado are drop type, hood clearance will increase, but decreased carb clearance may be a deciding factor. I came across a Chevy unit under $20 and it might be here in 5 days, but wanted to find out what I could from you guys. I don't have an Olds unit to compare it to that is anything close to original dimensions/shape. Yes, I know, don't ask.
Thanks, Patrick

Last edited by e129745; March 9th, 2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:50 PM

I'm not an expert, but I believe the HEI Toronado air cleaners are also dropped down on the carb, not just the sunken intake. Your best bet may be to locate a wrecking yard with lots of 1970's vintage cars and just start measuring different air cleaners.

John
Old March 11th, 2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I'm not an expert, but I believe the HEI Toronado air cleaners are also dropped down on the carb, not just the sunken intake. Your best bet may be to locate a wrecking yard with lots of 1970's vintage cars and just start measuring different air cleaners.

John
Yep, gotta agree that after more looken about, the Toronado air cleaner base must be dropped design for more clearance. Too many references to that from Toronado owners. I shoulda looked more before I opened my big fat keyboard. Thanks for the feedback and containing MY IE (internet error)!
Patrick