Steering Shaft

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2011, 03:04 AM

Steering Shaft

Does anyone know if I can center my steering wheel at the top of the steering shaft? Where the shaft enters the firewall below the brake booster. Thanks for any feed back.
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Administrator

I don't understand your question??
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Well, you could, but your signal light switch would click off at the wrong time, and it's really not the right way to do it.

Provided that the components of your steering column are lined up correctly now (steering wheel to upper column, upper column to lower column just inside engine compartment, and lower column to steering box), then if your wheel is misaligned, you should straighten it by adjusting the tie rod sleeves (if you're brave), or by having it properly aligned.

- Eric
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Administrator

OK so your steering wheel is not pointing centered when your driving straight? Did you recently get it aligned, because that is part of a front end alignment, along with making sure your steering box is centered. Also prior to aligning a proper inspection of steering components should be performed as any worn parts will also give you a false center.

If any of this is not done from the start the rest of the alignment will make your car drive like crap.
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:11 AM

I recently replaced the entire front end and steering box. I was very careful with the new pitman arm and steering box assembly but maybe Im off a couple of teeth. The Steering wheel wasnt straight to begin with Ill start by redoing the pitman arm and steering box.
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Turn the steering wheel from end to end and count the turns, divide by two and thats center on your steering box. Install steering wheel so its straight at this point.

I believe the pitman arm can only go on in 1 position because it's keyed in 4 spots, so its probably correct.

Next you need to figure a way to lock the steering wheel in place. Adjust your tierods so the wheels are straight with a measurement of about 1/8" difference from the very front between the tires and the very rear of front tires. That'll get your toe close enough to get your car to an alignment shop. A machine is the easiest way to set your castor and camber!

Last edited by oldcutlass; August 4th, 2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The pitman arm can only fit one of four ways (each 90° from the other), so there is no way to install it wrong and still have the steering work.

The splined steering box input shaft has only one "right way" to install to the rag joint, but you could misalign if you tried.

The rag joint will only fit two ways, 180° away from each other (unless it's completely original - then it can only fit one way).

The firewall spline fitting can only be properly connected one way, but you could miss it by one spline or so in either direction.

The steering wheel can fit in any position, but may be marked at the right position.

- Eric