68 Cutlass Control arm shaft questions

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2011, 10:00 AM

68 Cutlass Control arm shaft questions

Hi-
I am midway through a complete front suspension overhaul. I have had a Global West shaft installed on the upper control arm with poly bushings.
I have bolted the shaft to the frame. My question / concern is the outer nuts on the shaft- The control arm bushings do not snug up against the shaft shoulder on one side ( where the machining starts for the threaded portion of the shaft) ther is approx 3/16 of an inch between the shoulder and where the bushing is. Does the tightness ( I know to torque them after full weight of car / engine is on the springs) of the shaft end nuts actually squeeze / compress the control arm? Or will the extra gap be used up when I do end up torquing? Is it critical to tighten these bolts equally a little on each end so the CA is "centered? And, what should the torque be for the end nuts? If neccessary I can post a picture after work.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cutlass.jpg (49.1 KB, 21 views)
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Ben

Check your factory service manual, but i beleive the torque on them is 45ft lbs.

Its common after pressing bushings In & Out that there is a little bit of a gap. It will get get sucked up when you torqe the bolts. Doesn't matter if you do one side at a time or not, the cross shaft will keep the arm from collapsing or compressing too much.

Also- with poly bushings, you can torque them with the weight off them, that only applies to rubber bushings.
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the reply, My Motors Manual does not have torque specs for the chassis. 45 # sounds kind of light to me????? I will check but I believe I am using more than 45 right now just snugging the lock nuts down.
Good to know about the poly being torquable right after install!