Cam Profile for 350 Dual Quad Set Up

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2015, 01:13 PM

Cam Profile for 350 Dual Quad Set Up

Hi guys,

I have a 69 Cutlass that I am thinking of doing a dual quad setup on. I know the single 4 is usually the best way to go for a street motor but thought this could be worth the cool factor and have some get up.

Motor is a 69 350 with #5 heads, stock. It has 1 5/8th's headers. It was rebuilt at some point but I don't know anything about it. It runs well and has some grunt but doesn't feel like a high compression, nearing 10 to 1 type motor. TH350 trans with 12 bolt Olds and 2.73's I think.

Trans leaks so I am getting that fixed so I can go with a higher stall converter and I want to put 3.08 or 3.23 posi gears in it.

But the big question is that if I went to an Offy dual quad set up with 2 500cfm Edelbrocks what kind of cam profile should I go with? I want to keep using the power brakes and steering but I'd like a cam that works great with the combo but also has a noticeable idle. I searched the forums but I didn't find anything relating to cam choices for this combo and even less info on it for a SBO. I have a set of roller rockers that I'll do with the cam change.

J

Last edited by jbarnett; December 12th, 2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old December 12th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

You will need to figure out the compression ratio, was it two or four barrel originally? I would go with the AVS version or even better dual Street Demon 625's. There is an ultra low profile dual quad and a taller version. I would defintely use 1" or 2" phonelic spacers on the intake with Edelbrock carbs. I considered one for the cool factor.
Old December 12th, 2015, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by jbarnett
Hi guys,

I have a 69 Cutlass that I am thinking of doing a dual quad setup on. I know the single 4 is usually the best way to go for a street motor but thought this could be worth the cool factor and have some get up.

Motor is a 69 350 with #5 heads, stock. It has 1 5/8th's headers. It was rebuilt at some point but I don't know anything about it. It runs well and has some grunt but doesn't feel like a high compression, nearing 10 to 1 type motor. TH350 trans with 12 bolt Olds and 2.73's I think.

Trans leaks so I am getting that fixed so I can go with a higher stall converter and I want to put 3.08 or 3.23 posi gears in it.

But the big question is that if I went to an Offy dual quad set up with 2 500cfm Edelbrocks what kind of cam profile should I go with? I want to keep using the power brakes and steering but I'd like a cam that works great with the combo but also has a noticeable idle. I searched the forums but I didn't find anything relating to cam choices for this combo and even less info on it for a SBO. I have a set of roller rockers that I'll do with the cam change.

J
If it has been rebuilt and the pistons replaced, all bets are off. Your CR could be as low as 7.5 to 1 or as high as 10 to 1. Putting a dual quad high rise on a low comp small block is a recipe for a turd with no bottom end. As 307/403 recommended, you will need to determine the true CR and go from there. I like old-school cool stuff, but if you end up spending a bunch of money on something that is no fun to drive, what is the point? You also do not know what cam is in it.
Old December 12th, 2015, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by captjim
If it has been rebuilt and the pistons replaced, all bets are off. Your CR could be as low as 7.5 to 1 or as high as 10 to 1. Putting a dual quad high rise on a low comp small block is a recipe for a turd with no bottom end. As 307/403 recommended, you will need to determine the true CR and go from there. I like old-school cool stuff, but if you end up spending a bunch of money on something that is no fun to drive, what is the point? You also do not know what cam is in it.
True enough. Throwing money at something to not get what you want sucks.

It doesn't have a very radical cam and I know it's hyraulic. It reminds me of how this old SBF sounded and idled with a Comp 260 in it. I know that's apples to oranges but this is mild cam from driving it.

For the sake of argument let's say the motor is 9 to 1. I'll get it checked at some point before moving forward but I'd like to get dialogue going at any rate.

J
Old December 12th, 2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by jbarnett
True enough. Throwing money at something to not get what you want sucks.

It doesn't have a very radical cam and I know it's hyraulic. It reminds me of how this old SBF sounded and idled with a Comp 260 in it. I know that's apples to oranges but this is mild cam from driving it.

For the sake of argument let's say the motor is 9 to 1. I'll get it checked at some point before moving forward but I'd like to get dialogue going at any rate.

J
IMHO if it truly is 9 to 1 you are not going to make it work.
Old July 11th, 2017, 03:33 PM

Went a different route here but the info was useful.

J