Aurora engine swap

Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM

Aurora engine swap

I have been wanting to put an Aurora V8 in a street rod for years now and if I ever get the time I am going to do it. I have been told the 700R4 will basically bolt up. I have also been told to get rid of the fuel injection, but I would rather retrofit the computer and use the engine as close to stock as I can. There is a 30's Olds coupe in my future and It will be cool. FYI My 49 olds model 76 (4dr) had a 72 350 and turbo 350. I drove that car almost everyday from Escondido Ca to Costa Mesa Ca to work. I drove the Carpool, 5 of us and we were never uncomfortable or Broke down. That was a GREAT little car!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 44TEETWO
I have been wanting to put an Aurora V8 in a street rod for years now and if I ever get the time I am going to do it. I have been told the 700R4 will basically bolt up. I have also been told to get rid of the fuel injection, but I would rather retrofit the computer and use the engine as close to stock as I can. There is a 30's Olds coupe in my future and It will be cool. FYI My 49 olds model 76 (4dr) had a 72 350 and turbo 350. I drove that car almost everyday from Escondido Ca to Costa Mesa Ca to work. I drove the Carpool, 5 of us and we were never uncomfortable or Broke down. That was a GREAT little car!
I started a new thread on this because 1) I think it's an interesting topic and 2) it has nothing to do with the original thread it was posted in.

Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators (http://www.chrfab.com/) specializes in swapping the Aurora/Northstar engines into RWD cars and sand rails. The Aurora/Northstar use a modified version of the GM Metric bellhousing bolt pattern. This is the bolt pattern first used on the Chevy 2.8 liter 60 deg V6 motors. It is narrower than the traditional GM bellhousings and is now used on most FWD GM engines. This includes the 3.4 liter DOHC motor used in the FWD supremes and the 3800 Series II motor (including the supercharged version). The 700R4 comes with one of two bellhousings - the traditional Chevy V8 pattern and the GM metric pattern. The latter will be found in S10 trucks with the 2.8 motor. The fourth gen F-body cars were also offered with the 4L60E and the 3800 Series II motor, so that trans can also be used (but will need a computer to operate it). Note that the manual trans bellhousings from these applications can be used to adapt a stick to the Aurora/Northstar.

The problem is that the Aurora/Northstar do not use the GM Metric bolt pattern exactly. One bolt is moved and the bellhousing also needs to be machined at the top to clear the starter, which is in the vee of the engine, under the intake. CHRF sells 700R4 transmissions modified to fit and internally beefed to take the higher horsepower. They also sell the modified manual trans bellhousing and appropriate flywheel/clutch.

There is no reason why you cannot use the stock intake and EFI. You will need some sort of computer, either a stock version or an aftermarket unit like the Megasquirt. CHRF sells computers, but there are other sources. CHRF also sells intakes for carbs and blowers.

One problem with swapping the Aurora/Northstar into RWD cars is that the water pump is driven off the bellhousing end of what is the front cam when the engine is transversely mounted. This unfortunately puts the water pump in the same place as the brake master cylinder. Depending on your application, you can either relocate the M/C (many street rods have it under the floor anyway) or you can relocate the pump. There is unfortunately no easy way to do this. You can try an electric pump (CHRF also sells these), though I worry about those for regular street use. You can also fabricate a belt-driven mechanical pump. The newer RWD Northstar engines use a different block casting with a more traditional water pump arrangement.

Finally, CHRF sells really cool valve covers that look like Hemi covers.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Aurora Swap

If there aren't going to be any major engine mods just stay with the factory EFI if possible. If you're going to be changing things a bit then Accel makes a system tha will run coil on plug and use most of the stock sensors enabling you to run in sequential. Keep us posted of your progress.
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:43 PM

There are companies out there that can reporgram PCM's

I have one in the Alero and it's awesome
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:54 PM

Smile

What type of trans are you hoping to use? The Aurora V8 powered Shelby Series 1 cars used a Tremec 5 speed, I think. I don't know if the blocks for those cars are the same as the regular production cars or not, but you might look into a manual tranny option if you go the Aurora route. Just a thought.
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Cameo White
What type of trans are you hoping to use? The Aurora V8 powered Shelby Series 1 cars used a Tremec 5 speed, I think. I don't know if the blocks for those cars are the same as the regular production cars or not, but you might look into a manual tranny option if you go the Aurora route. Just a thought.
Yes, and CHRF sells the correct bellhousing and flywheel to fit.
Old April 28th, 2011, 02:50 PM

Im in the process of transplanting an Aurora North* into my 75 CJ5 Jeep. I am planning on going the stock EFI route. If I run into too many problems with wiring and sensors, I will most likely do a MegaSquirt. I do plan on retaining a lot of the Aurora parts for the CJ, so using the stock puter and wiring makes a little more sense to me.

As for the 2.8 bellhousing, I am going to be getting mine machined as opposed to buying one from CHRFAB. For me, it will be a 30 pack of Busch Light and $20.00 to get it done, but if you dont know people, you might consider picking one up from CHRFAB as it will most likely be cheaper to go that route after it is all said and done with.

I just looked at the original post date. Came here through a Google search, so Back from the dead!

I will be creating a thread for my build and taking lots of pics along the way.