350 olds bad lifters

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2015, 05:58 AM

350 olds bad lifters

I rebuilt this motor myself and stuck it in the car with a comp cams camshaft (xe268h) and lifter combination. I did the proper break-in for the cam but it was very noisy after the break-in after a few days of the noise still being there, it stopped. Te engine ran quiet. I pulled off the intake manifold to check on things and turns out every lifter keeper (little wire that holds the lifter together) on the passenger side was broken and the only thing holding the lifters together was the pushrods. What would e the cause of this, and has anybody had any experience similar to this? Needless to say I replaced all lifters with summit brand lifters and re- broke in the cam.
I also pulled the oil pan and found the rest of the wire keepers.
-I would post pictures, but I do not know how to via mobile
Old May 12th, 2015, 06:32 AM

Sounds to me like you didn't have the right pushrods or valve lash. Or you got a bad batch of Comp lifters, which happens pretty often. Just do a search and you'll see for yourself.
Old May 12th, 2015, 08:15 AM

Typically that happens if the lifter plunger is constantly hitting the wire retainer. IE: not enough lifter preload. Like Cutlassefi said, either wrong pushrods or lash
Old May 12th, 2015, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Typically that happens if the lifter plunger is constantly hitting the wire retainer. IE: not enough lifter preload. Like Cutlassefi said, either wrong pushrods or lash
I'm pretty sure I bought the right push rods, so what would be correct lash? I tightened the new rockers down to spec, and did the extra 1/4-1/2 turn. And te push rods seemed to have the correct amount of "play"
Old May 12th, 2015, 08:41 AM

Are you using aftermarket rockers with studs and poly locks?
Old May 12th, 2015, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Are you using aftermarket rockers with studs and poly locks?
No, I am using the stock rocker arms, bridges, and pushrods. But they are all new
Old May 12th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Fwiw if you used the felpro head gaskets or .040 which is typical for aftermarket replacement. You have appx added .025 +\- of distance to the deck so to speak . So you have taken preload off of the lifter . If you did not measure for proper length and preload then I think your issue maybe inssuficient preload . Did you mill the heads ? If the lifter was properly loaded (preload) then it would be hard to turn the pushrod and there would be no play. There is no adjustability with the stock rocker arms besides being able to shim them up . You also check for preload on the base circle of the lobe . What was your procedure for coming to the conclusion it was ok. Not trying to bust your ***** but what you did and how will help us understand what's going on.

Last edited by coppercutlass; May 12th, 2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:42 AM

The head gasket I used was a gasket that can in a summit racing engine gasket kit. Not sure of the thickness. But every rocker arm I torqued down, I checked the pushrod, the push rods would not move up and down at all, but I could spin them with my fingers. I didn't put any shims in the rockers and tightened to 28ft-lbs
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:58 AM

Putting shims under the bridge removed even more preload. It looks like a combination of a thicker head gasket as stated and those shims that caused this.
Old May 12th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I only mentioned the shims because I said that you really can't adjust them but in reality if need be you can shim them up. But in this case it seems like head gasket.
Old May 12th, 2015, 12:59 PM

My bad, I read that wrong.
Old March 25th, 2019, 03:55 PM

Ditto. (it happened to me too)

This is my first post on this forum, I'll say HI later, I plan on starting a new thread looking for advice on my build with #6 350 heads on my 403 in my Trans Am.
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I just had the same thing happen to my 403, with the exact same lifters (supplied in kit with a XE262 cam). I have gotten suggestions that it may be due to overrevving and valve float?