Newb Gauge Questions

Old April 1st, 2015, 03:55 PM

Newb Gauge Questions

Ok, my dad has a 73 Delta 88 with a Rocket 350. He has always talked about installing gauges (oil Pressure, water temp, maybe voltage, oil temp, and/or tach). His birthday is in 2 weeks, and I need some help

My questions:

Electric or Mechanical? Why?
What is needed to install and keep the factory warning lights functioning?
Are there any vintage GM or Oldsmobile gauges on the market?

When he was younger he had gauges on the pillar next to the windshield of his Catalina, has anyone done this/can it be done nicely?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

PTTM
Old April 1st, 2015, 05:00 PM
Mr. Johnson

Mechanical Gauges. More dependable and more dependable readings.

You can buy a T valve to keep the oil dummy light, water you should have another port to install into.

Gauges and pods. There are so many companies to choose from now pick your poison.
3 gauge under dash water, volt, oil, sunpro pod pack 15-25 bucks at autozone.
Our up to 230 bucks for just a water gauge from stack or autometer.
Depends on how much you love dad I guess
Old April 2nd, 2015, 06:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Mechanical or electrical is irrelevant. Today's gauges work equally well. Electrical is much easier to install, and frankly, the readings won't be changing quickly enough for the "accuracy" of mechanical gauges to matter. This is a D88, not a drag car. The one thing you will find is that mechanical gauges, since they are used more often on race cars, tend to have a larger sweep angle of the needle, so it's easier to read the gauge. Again, for a daily driver D88, this is irrelevant.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 10:06 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Get the braided oil pressure line, if you go mechanical. I even had one of those fail, only a small leak compared to a ruptured plasic line. Get at least 5 feet, maybe even 6 feet, 4 feet barely reached on my 88 Cutlass Supreme, went 5 feet long with the replacement.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 10:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Get the braided oil pressure line, if you go mechanical. I even had one of those fail, only a small leak compared to a ruptured plasic line. Get at least 5 feet, maybe even 6 feet, 4 feet barely reached on my 88 Cutlass Supreme, went 5 feet long with the replacement.
I still think this is waaaaay too much for the OP's car. First, I've never had a problem with the plastic lines in over four decades, and second, if you are worried about the plastic, you can get small diameter copper line for a fraction of what the braided will cost. The braided requires a much larger hole in the firewall. Note that most oil line failures are due to inadequate strain relief from engine vibrations.

And I still maintain that electric gauges are the right answer for this car, which solves all these problems.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:34 PM

Electrical, hands down, though I have some concern with supporting the (huge) OP sender on a 1/8 pipe nipple to keep the OP light.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Summit carries a wide variety of gauge pods. In this case I would go with the electrics also. Sunpro and Autometer are relatively inexpensive. I included links below:
Pillar pods
http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...lar-gauge-pods
Gauges:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...cending&page=2
Old April 2nd, 2015, 02:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CutlassDad
Electrical, hands down, though I have some concern with supporting the (huge) OP sender on a 1/8 pipe nipple to keep the OP light.
You mean like the factory did? The OEM gauge sender needs an extender nipple and elbow to clear the intake. There are no issues. I've run many cars that used both the sender and idiot light switch on a tee on top of that 1/8 NPT nipple and never had a problem. You need to find other things to worry about.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 02:13 PM

Regardless of what type of gauges you will use,this is a neat idea for your dad's birthday present. I am sure he will be very proud of you.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 10:26 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

My car came with these Sunpro mechanical gauges, electric are probably the best bet. I am willing to bet my local track inspectors wouldn't like the plastic line.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 04:48 AM
Acceleratii maxim rapidus

This Autometer series of elec gauges almost matches the speedo and fuel gauge in your old mans D88 for looks. http://www.autometer.com/gauges/designer-black-2.html
You know, if he doesn't use that big o'l D88 ashtray under the radio it would make a great location for a pair of gauges with a bit of creativity and customizing.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 08:14 PM

The ashtray is currently home to the garage door opener but thats not a bad idea. I'd defently like to keep this on the cheap side as long as cheap gauges will still work well. That being said, I'd pay a little more for gauges that look era appropriate and match the styling. Especially if they said GM or better yet, Oldsmobile.

Where are the ports for the oil and water on the engine?

My dad and I both love cars and its nice to buy car stuff for someone who will like it. My gf just rolls her eyes.

Last edited by PowerToTheMaxx; April 3rd, 2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old April 4th, 2015, 05:49 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Oil on the front "shelf" behind the water pump on the drivers side top. The water should be on the drivers side intake front.