Engine Restart/Rebuild & Gauges - Oil, Temp, etc.

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2014, 09:23 AM

Engine Restart/Rebuild & Gauges - Oil, Temp, etc.

Hey Guys,

Two part question please:

1. Engine was tore down to the cylinder block to have heads machined, I then replaced with some new valve components, lifters, Edelbrock intake manifold, etc. When I get to the point of starting her up (not yet), does the engine need to be primed or are there other things I need to do? Is a primer tool in the distributor hole the only way or is there another?

2. I'm looking to add some additional gauge cluster to show oil pressure, temp, etc. Is there a 'dummies' way to hook one up to show which wires go where?
Old October 13th, 2014, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by tgilligan
Hey Guys,

Two part question please:

1. Engine was tore down to the cylinder block to have heads machined, I then replaced with some new valve components, lifters, Edelbrock intake manifold, etc. When I get to the point of starting her up (not yet), does the engine need to be primed or are there other things I need to do? Is a primer tool in the distributor hole the only way or is there another?

2. I'm looking to add some additional gauge cluster to show oil pressure, temp, etc. Is there a 'dummies' way to hook one up to show which wires go where?
It's tough to beat the simplicity of priming by driving the oil pump with a well secured 5/16" hex socket. Make sure you know that the distributor is set right and you know how to reinsert it properly, so that after priming the start is within minutes rather than days.

Wiring? No... use mechanical OP and Temp gages.
Old October 13th, 2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
It's tough to beat the simplicity of priming by driving the oil pump with a well secured 5/16" hex socket. Make sure you know that the distributor is set right and you know how to reinsert it properly, so that after priming the start is within minutes rather than days.

Wiring? No... use mechanical OP and Temp gages.

Gotcha. As to the mechanical setup, the existing sensors are for the dash lights and if I want to add mechanical, do I use an existing port on the manifold for the temp and add an adapter T fitting to the oil sender so I can use both mechanical and dash light? Just to make sure I'm not completely wrong, the temp sensor is on the runner of the Edelbrock manifold and the oil pressure sensor is connected to the block just in front of the manifold?
Old October 13th, 2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by tgilligan
Gotcha. As to the mechanical setup, the existing sensors are for the dash lights and if I want to add mechanical, do I use an existing port on the manifold for the temp and add an adapter T fitting to the oil sender so I can use both mechanical and dash light? Just to make sure I'm not completely wrong, the temp sensor is on the runner of the Edelbrock manifold and the oil pressure sensor is connected to the block just in front of the manifold?
I would run the mechanical gages at least for initial startup.

Remove the electric T sensor and put your Mech Gage bulb in the intake, yes. front water crossover.

Put a mech. OP gage on a oh 6" long nipple in the oil P sender hole at the LH end of the timing area shelf, next to the Block ID characters. Gage on a stick will be fine for startup. After that you can put the original sensors back in and use wiring.

Starting with water for coolant, right, in case things go wrong?
Old October 13th, 2014, 12:39 PM

Since you have an Edelbrock intake manifold, there is an additional water port that can be used for the mechanical temperature sensor. The Edelbrock has a port on each side of the thermostat housing whereas typical factory manifolds had just one on the drivers side.
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:56 AM

I have a VDO 3 gauge set, mech oil, electric water, and volts, perfect condition, in a 3 pod under dash bezel, and a nice wire harness you can have for $50 plus shipping. (pic attached)

Offer is open to whoever...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Gauges01.jpg (63.6 KB, 14 views)