Rings question (sealed power) - ClassicOldsmobile.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 6th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #1

Rings question (sealed power)

Ok, rebuilding the '69 Cutlass 350. I opened the box with the rings & on the inside flap it tells which groove the rings go into. The problem is this: The top ring has a chamfer on the inside & no mark, so does it go up or down. The 2nd ring has a chamfer & a mark on the chamferred side. I assume the chamfer goes down to help wipe the oil back down, in case it gets by the oil rings? Last, I can't seem to get the expander to close down enough to get the oil rings seated (using a ring wrench). The old oil rings & expanders fit fine. Other than not being able to figure this out, everything else is going equally as $H!tty on this build. Thanks for any help. Mike
Double D Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #2

Normally top ring with the inside bevel goes up, second ring bevel goes down.
Put the oil rails into the cylinder and square them up. You should have no less than .010 end gap. Then make sure the oil ring spacer isn't overlapping upon installation. If all that checks out you may just not be squeezing them tight enough.
cutlassefi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #3

Yes, that's what I thought. The thing that has me messed up is that the 2nd rings have a "pip" mark on the same side as the chamfer. I haven't built many engines but the ones I've done had the mark facing up. So if that's right on these then the chamfer on the 2nd ring goes up & the top ring has no pip but should go up also. I did figure out the oil rings, the expander is a little different than what was there before. I just had to be real careful putting everything together.
Old September 6th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #4

If in doubt stop where you are and call Sealed Power on Monday.
cutlassefi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 02:27 PM   #5

I called sealed power tech support today. The guy said that both the top & 2nd rings are wrong. They were mispackaged at the factory, apparently. Who else would this happen to? Called Rock Auto, they opened a package to make sure that the rings are correct & are sending them now. No charge & they said to throw the originals away once I confirm that the new ones are right. No complaints with Rock, it wasn't their fault but they are still making good on it.
Old September 8th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #6
72 Olds CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlassefi View Post
If in doubt stop where you are and call Sealed Power on Monday.
very good advice in any endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D Farms View Post
I called sealed power tech support today. The guy said that both the top & 2nd rings are wrong. They were mispackaged at the factory, apparently. Who else would this happen to? Called Rock Auto, they opened a package to make sure that the rings are correct & are sending them now. No charge & they said to throw the originals away once I confirm that the new ones are right. No complaints with Rock, it wasn't their fault but they are still making good on it.
thats crazy how would anyone know / and how many have assembled thier engines w incorrect parts !!!

glad you got it straightened out and thanks for posting back so we all know
RetroRanger is offline   Reply With Quote