Torque Converter 69 w31 conv

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Talking Torque Converter 69 w31 conv

I have a 69 w-31 convertible (26 made). I just rebuilt the engine with all mondello gear. 2225-10 cam 30 over flattops, rollers, 207 164 valves. Heads are done and using a mondello built q-jet @ 790 cfm. Im rummin a 350 tranny with 3.42 gears.

Anyone familiar with this build? I cant seem to decide on what stall speed to use.

Also i need opinions. I want the thing to look stock but i cant decide on headers or worked stock manifolds.

Also the orig color was saffron yellow, not my favorite color but should i bring it back to stock color for value?
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Surfrat,

A rare 69 W-31 convertible...Ram Rod? I would have kept it stock, but it's not my car.

All Mondello, eh? Couldn't Lynn give you any advise on stall? I'm not familiar with Mondello cams, but my Ebrock Performer RPM cam has a torque curve that starts around 2500 rpm. I'm running a 2300 stall on the street and very happy with it. Stock is around 1700-1800. BTW, mine is a 350/350, 3.42 gears.

If you have the money, Kooks makes the best headers. Period.

As to the color, I think you've already made your decision to make the car to your own liking. Pick your favorite color and go for it. You won't destroy the value any more than you have already. I'm in the process of redoing my 71 Cutlass convertible in a mid-80's Corv*tt* "Bright Red".

C.J.
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:34 PM

The car will be basically stock except for a stronger motor. Big balancer, dual snork with scoops, etc. When you lift the hood it will appear totally stock. At least thats what im going for.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Rat,

Sorry...that came out a little harsher than I intended.

By "Mondello-izing" it, you have indeed decreased the value of a rare car. Destroyed the value? No. It'll still be worth a pretty penny, but it is not what it was....unless you had them build you a "new" engine, heads, and carburetor and left the original in a box somewhere to reinstall later. Just curious....did you send your motor to Lynn or just order parts and have somebody else do the work? You keep the original hood and air cleaner?

Anyway...what is the torque range of the cam? What size wheels are you running? Will it be mostly street or mostly strip?

C.J.
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Past Administrator

watching this one with baited breath..............
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I'm really not trying to flame Surfrat. HONEST!

If I offend, I sincerely apologize.

C.J.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Past Administrator

No I don't think you are at all, but I can see a slight disagreement here that's all. I think you are being very polite and to be honest I sorta agree with you, but I also dig when someone does their OWN THING too. Kustoms are cool. Just watching this thread.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
...I also dig when someone does their OWN THING too. Kustoms are cool.
Me too! That's why my '71 Cutlass convertible has a warmed-over 350, headers, CS-130 alternator, LS-1 fans, remote start solenoid, Trans-Am tach in dash, and HEI (among lotsa other things). I'm also in the middle of some panel seam blending and grill customization before I paint it Corv*ett* red (originally Matador Red) early in the summer. But then, it's not 1 of 26.

Being in the OCA and have experienced the "Armchair 500" (OCA Nationals), I know there are purists who would thrash me for what I have done to my car, too. Point noted.

Again, Surfrat, I didn't mean to say what I said so harshly.

C.J.
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Wink

Hi Fellas,

Heres the story. When I found the car in a barn in SC i was going to buy it and drop a 445 in it for fun. It was all badged up like a 442 and had a hurst wing on it. Obviously the guy had no idea what he had and neither did I till I got it home. When I discovered the #'s matching block, big balancer, rear boxed arms and holes in fenders for OAI, I got excited!! Well the purpose of doing the car in the first place was to have a fun car to drive. My plan is to keep the car as stock as possible. Anything I do to it will be able to be undone if and when I decide to sell it. Im not even putting headers on it but i did have the orig manifolds opened a bit. I want a fast car, faster than a stock w31. I truly hope i have not destroyed this vehicle as I am learning more and more about stock values but like I said the car is for fun not for lookin at. Im am also restoring the car to its orig color of saffron yellow(which to say the least is not my favorite) to keep as much originality as possible. As for using Mondello equipt...from all the folks I spoke with, and remember..im an olds virgin...Mondello was a good supplier with high end parts. So shoot me if i tried to do the right thing but it is what it is. I will post pics and dyno info as soon as its done.

oh by the way...the air cleaner was missing..if anyone has one please let me know!!!!
John
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

John,

I love those "found it in a barn" stories! Can't wait to see the pics.

I think you'll be pleased with the hot motor/Saffron Yellow combo on the street. If for no other reason that the color makes it look more sedate than it really is. It'll rock their socks off!

'69 OAI air cleaners draw a mint. There's a company that a great repop from what I've heard). I'll have to findthe company's name. Do you have the rest of the OAI setup?

C.J.
Old May 14th, 2006, 12:07 PM

C.J.

Ive seen the after market air cleaners but they are $1000 for the set up. Id like to find an orig one just for that used look and for $1000 Id hope to find an orig set. I have the orig scoops but the backs of them are all rubbed through. I guess someone had big tires on the car and didnt realize they were rubbing.

John
Old May 14th, 2006, 12:24 PM

this is a pre restoration pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
webw31.jpg (32.9 KB, 45 views)
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Past Administrator

Your car is pretty cool looking. If it really is such a low numbers car, maybe you should just sell it "as it is" pocket the extra cash, cause it would surely be worth quite a bit; and then turn around and buy something that you could truly sink your teeth into that is really fast!
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

SHWEET!

There's a guy on another board that deals in Olds parts by name of Chris Witt. He goes by the handle of Octania and hangs out at www.realoldspower.com . I'll bet he could help you.

RocketScience442@hotmail.com

C.J.