Timing Experts, I need more timing!

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2013, 08:42 AM

Timing Experts, I need more timing!

Last weekend I replaced the RPM intake with the standard performer intake. Car has a 1405 Edelbrock Carb. 350 motor, th350 trans. Pretty positive it's been rebuilt, but to relatively stock specs. Car runs about the same. Maybe a little stronger through the rpms, but it doesn't "hit as hard" initially.

After replacing the intake, I put the timing back to about 17/18 where it was. Car ran okay. I then tried 20* base timing and the car runs better. I would like to try 22*, and see if she pings. But the problem is the vacuum advance is now turned all the way into the firewall. I cant rotate it anymore. It doesn't seem like the vacuum advance canister can be relocated on the dizzy. It's all one unit.

What can I do? Can I purposely set the dizzy up to be 1 tooth off to get more timing out of it? How would I figure out what the actual timing is?

Not sure what else I could do.
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jpc647
Can I purposely set the dizzy up to be 1 tooth off to get more timing out of it? How would I figure out what the actual timing is?
Yup. That's what you do. The only other option is to rotate the distributor the other way and move all the wires one space on the cap.
Old June 10th, 2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yup. That's what you do. The only other option is to rotate the distributor the other way and move all the wires one space on the cap.
Is this "normal" to be able to give a car this much base timing?

Also, after i make it "skip a tooth", how do I then figure out how much timing it'll have. If I skip a tooth and it reads 10*, per say, is it actually 10* or is it something else?
Old June 10th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Is this "normal" to be able to give a car this much base timing?
There is no "normal". Give the car what it wants to run right for the setup you have. You ARE checking timing with the vac advance disconnected and plugged, right?

Also, after i make it "skip a tooth", how do I then figure out how much timing it'll have. If I skip a tooth and it reads 10*, per say, is it actually 10* or is it something else?
The timing light neither knows nor cares what "tooth" the distributor is on. It is simply flashing when it sees a spark, letting you read the timing at the crank. That's all that matters. I thought your question was related to how do you read more that 10 deg BTDC if the timing tab only goes to 10.
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:08 AM

There is no "normal". Give the car what it wants to run right for the setup you have. You ARE checking timing with the vac advance disconnected and plugged, right?
No, I didn't plug it. Wow I'm an idiot. Okay, will have to redo that tonight. Could be that simple.

Just did a quick google search, just for reference, why does the vacuum advance need to be disconnected? What does that do to allow it to be timed properly(sorry if that's a dumb question).

I thought your question was related to how do you read more that 10 deg BTDC if the timing tab only goes to 10.
Um, not really. The dial back light takes care of that for me. I was trying to spin the distributor clockwise more, to advance more than 20* timing(20* initial timing is right when my VAC port hits the firewall).

Sorry if my description was confusing. Trying to explain it with as much detail as possible.
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Just did a quick google search, just for reference, why does the vacuum advance need to be disconnected? What does that do to allow it to be timed properly(sorry if that's a dumb question).
The definition of initial timing is the relationship between the distributor and the crank with no external advance (either vacuum or mechanical) included. It's the "hard stop" or lower limit on what the advance is in the engine. Since vacuum advance varies with engine load and mechanical advance varies with RPM, the initial is intended to be set without either of those variables included. Plugging the vac advance takes care of one, and the mechanical advance doesn't activate at idle RPMs (unless your engine is idling VERY high), so the other one is taken care of automatically.
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:43 AM

No, I didn't plug it. Wow I'm an idiot. Okay, will have to redo that tonight. Could be that simple.

See if this helps,
http://www.corvettefever.com/techart...curving_power/
Old June 10th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by captjim
Good article!