MSD coil on a 307. is it worth the money?

Old December 20th, 2012, 08:14 PM

MSD coil on a 307. is it worth the money?

i always heard MSD coils will make a difference on a stock motor but i dont know for shure. has anyone done it and is there a noticeable difference? should i put a MSD coil in my stock distrubtor or spend the big bucks and buy a MSD distrubtor? and were does the MSD ignition box come into play?right now im runnin a 307 motor with a holley 350 2bbl carb with a 4bbl intake and adaptor(ofcorse).everything else is stock. i have 8MM yellow plug wires on my car already and have plans for a K&N or a Air Rade air filter soon.
Old December 21st, 2012, 01:04 AM

IMO, no an MSD coil and/or distributor won't make any difference but dumping that carb setup in favor of a properly tuned Qjet would.
Old December 21st, 2012, 03:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Wildcard
i always heard MSD coils will make a difference on a stock motor but i dont know for shure.
Who told you that? MSD?

I doubt it would make any difference at all, especially on an HEI motor.

- Eric
Old December 21st, 2012, 07:19 AM

MSD boxes start making sense when you're running a bit on the ragged edge with the compression and cam combo, and of course there are a variety of race features.
For stock or near-stock setups, it's wasted money. Get a properly set up HEI or converted points (or keep points if you like!) and you're fine. Getting a good mechanical and vacuum advance curve is really the most important part.
Getting a 4 barrel carb will make the most difference by far. It's still a 307 though.
Old December 21st, 2012, 07:40 AM

If you get a tissue box, paint it red, write MSD on it, and tape it under your hood. Your car will run faster than with a complete MSD system because it will weigh less.
A well maintainned ingition system will work fine on a stock motor. I've used MSD on supercharged motors, all they do is prevent plug fowling with extended idling.
Old December 21st, 2012, 07:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by garys 68
if you get a tissue box, paint it red, write msd on it, and tape it under your hood. Your car will run faster than with a complete msd system because it will weigh less.

- Eric
Old December 21st, 2012, 07:50 AM
Administrator

As stated above, no an MSD coil will not make it run better. And if you find a proper 4V carb and give it a performance tune, then you'll see a marked improvement. Save your money on the K&N, Airaide, etc... stuff, most is just hype, not enough difference to warrant the cost in your case.
Old December 21st, 2012, 08:01 AM

I agree with the previous posts. Except I'd skip the tissue box. Every time you're tempted to spend money on a gimmick for your 307, put that money into a jar, and when you have enough, swap in a 350. Or a 455. Alternatively, supporting mods on a 307 such as headers, dual exhaust, gears, will help the 307 and will also prepare you for a 350.
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:38 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

I'd install a "Tornado" into your intake system.... it must work it's on TV!!
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:02 PM

No MSD Ingition will make a huge difference on ANY motor.

When you pop your hood and your friends look at your motor they'll say "Wow! You have an MSD" or they will be thinking "Wow! He must have money to burn becasue he bought an MSD!"

Other than that, no stock is fine
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

May I point out at this juncture that I have seen few threads on here with this much agreement, and completely without wise-a$$ nitpicking.

We must all be right .

- Eric
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
May I point out at this juncture that I have seen few threads on here with this much agreement, and completely without wise-a$$ nitpicking.

We must all be right .

- Eric
After this was stated I guess I'll throw in my $.02. With a stock engine I tend to agree. But with my engine I use all MSD. I can't afford to use stock anything ignition wise. I think it is a personal decision. If the OP wants sure firing plus he can taylor the way it fires with MSD and all their choices, he could go ahead and buy MSD.
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
After this was stated I guess I'll throw in my $.02. With a stock engine I tend to agree. But with my engine I use all MSD. I can't afford to use stock anything ignition wise. I think it is a personal decision. If the OP wants sure firing plus he can taylor the way it fires with MSD and all their choices, he could go ahead and buy MSD.
But a stock 307... how much of an improvement will he realize and is it worth the expense.
Old December 21st, 2012, 05:05 PM

I just bought a used 6AL. I did it because if you miss a shift it will save your motor. (as long as you have the REV limiter properly set). That's a good enough reason as far as I'm concerned. For a 307.....I dunno, you might want an excuse to put a new motor in

Last edited by allyolds68; December 21st, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old December 21st, 2012, 05:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
With a stock engine I tend to agree.
So we all agree.

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I just bought a used 6AL. I did it because if you miss a shift it will save your motor.
If you miss an UPshift.

If you miss a downshift, you're still screwed.

- Eric
Old December 21st, 2012, 05:55 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

I have nothing against MSD products... I have a 6AL on the shelf in my parts room waiting for a new home. But on bone stock anything I doubt if it's worth the cost.

But it is the OP's $$$ and let him spend it as he wishes... we all have had buyers remorse at least a few times.
Old December 21st, 2012, 06:18 PM

At least with my suggestion, he gets a useful box of tissues.
Old December 21st, 2012, 08:06 PM

I can personally attest to this thread because I have a 307 in my 85 Delta 88 and have MSD products installed on it.

When I first bought the car it came with no service history so I decided to give her a tune up for peace of mind. I followed this excellent guide to begin the tune up http://tlentz.oldsgmail.com/more_power.html

Now the MSD parts I have installed follow:

MSD cap and rotor
MSD coil
MSD 8mm street fire wires
AC Delco spark plugs

The reason I bought MSD is because honestly they didn't cost that much more then AC Delco products maybe $10-$20ea more and MSD has been a name in Ignition products I trust.

While I didn't gain any HP the car did feel alot peppier and woke it up both the mechanic and I agree.

As long as the parts last I am happy with the MSD system on my 307.

Also the thing that would probably would of made the most difference would of been a MSD heat HEI module

http://www.onedirt.com/news/pumping-...nition-module/

A guy on bob oil forum said he put one on his 307 and was very impressed with the results. I might add one later.
Old December 21st, 2012, 08:50 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Originally Posted by garys 68
At least with my suggestion, he gets a useful box of tissues.
Good point... fortunately you can cover it with your hat!!
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:32 PM

thanks for the advise guys. i didnt figure it would make much of a difference on a stock motor but i figured id ask. my next step as far as the motor goes is to do a dual exhaust with a x-flow system and eather flowmaster or turbo pipes. i think im gonna turn the pipes out infront of the back tires for looks and to add some extra rumble.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 01:21 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Originally Posted by Wildcard
thanks for the advise guys. i didnt figure it would make much of a difference on a stock motor but i figured id ask. my next step as far as the motor goes is to do a dual exhaust with a x-flow system and eather flowmaster or turbo pipes. i think im gonna turn the pipes out infront of the back tires for looks and to add some extra rumble.
Make sure those short pipes are legal where you live or you'll be switching 'em back after Johnny law sees 'em...
Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Redog
No MSD Ingition will make a huge difference on ANY motor.
Alright, time to kick the happy agree-fest out the window!
On my 403 (10:1, ebrock heads, Voodoo 60803 cam), a 6AL2 Programmable made a world of difference. Before that was a stock dizzy with a Pertronix, a Pertronix III billet and an Accel billet all firing several different coils.
Granted, I'm pushing the envelope on the idle for this thing, so that's where the most different was gained. And it was almost impossible to get a good timing curve from the stock mechanisms.
I'll eagerly agree that it wouldn't help for many situations. For me, it just all worked out swell. And I have to justify dropping the coin for it.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:34 AM

I too found a significant improvement in starting, smoothness, lack of plug fouling with MSD; my engine has a "big" camshaft in it.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:34 AM

is the stock dizzy (points) on my 71 worth upgrading to the pertronics adapter to "hei". also they charge about 120 for it on summit and accel also sells the same product for about half the price. anybody have experiences with both who can give some input?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:58 AM

There are plenty of threads here that talk about this Oldschool, and if these don't answer your question, you could start your own, since it's a bit of a change of topic. But the short answer to your question is, IMO, if it's a relatively stock engine and the distributor is in good condition, no, it's not worth upgrading. I have cars with each. Points work fine.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:02 AM

gotcha
Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

No difference in operation between well-tuned points and HEI / Pertronix.

- Eric
Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:02 PM

i live in Arkansas Krooser. anything is legal here when it comes to bikes and car exhaust. i run straight pipes on my 02 honda 750 shadow ace bobber and a few of my friends have street cars that are also weekend strip cars with straight pipes.