Should I upgrade my 350?

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2008, 02:05 PM

Should I upgrade my 350?

I have a 69 Delta 88 Convertible. It is strictly a street cruiser with 70K miles and in decent shape (e.g., engine runs fine, updated suspension and steering, some rust). This is a weekend cruiser that I would like to use to build my car craft skills. The motor is the original 350 2BBL from 1969 with #5 heads. It has a TH400 transmission. The only modest upgrade has been to dual exhaust (Flowmasters) when the old system rusted out.

At some point I will likely fix the body and paint her. For now I want to just driver her and learn some new skills. The engine runs strong, good acceleration, no smoke (except a bit at startup because I think it runs too rich/choke issue), reliable. The motor has typical surface rust/pitting from being on the east coast.

Goals for the car: more horsepower, learn more skills, and have fun. As to budget I am flexible depending on what makes the most sense. I know at some point I have to make the rebuild vs drop in a crate motor decision. I don’t want to start spending money on a motor I may just replace some day. While I love my Olds I am not married to keeping the current motor.

The crate vs full rebuild would be a cost and reliability decision. It does not need to be rebuilt now so if it makes sense to keep it then here are the next stage ideas I have for it:

1) As my carb could use a rebuild I think I will replace it and the manifold with a Performer and a rebuilt Quadrajet (perhaps Holley). Perhaps upgrade the ignition to HEI (any recommendations on a vendor?)
2) Headers
3) Down the road upgrade the cam and rebuild the heads
4) Full rebuild when it needs it

Thoughts on these potential improvements? Performance impacts?

Great forum here. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:34 PM
same but different

I think you have a well thought out plan. For right now, the four barrel carb and intake would be first on my list.

As for headers, I don't think any one makes them for your chassis. I think Oldguy here owns one (or used to). I believe the problem is because its a "forward steer" car. Meaning the steering box is past (rear of)the center line of the front wheels. Where as the cutlass and others have the steering gear box in front of the center line. So, they don't fit this car. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone will point that out.

You said the "crate motor" word. I don't think anyone truly makes a crate motor for olds. You sure aren't gonna get one at summit,jegs. Besides, that engine in your car sounds strong from your description. At that many miles, I'd say you have many more happy miles to enjoy your ride. Plenty of time to make cosmetic improvements that you really want to.

In my opinion, you have the BEST olds engine ever made in your car right now-69 350 with #5 heads. It don't get much better than that.....well unless you get a 455

The little issues you have now with smoke on start up, that might just be choke issues or you need valve seals. Even if it does need new valve seals, you don't have to tear into the engine to do that. Thats another topic, but you could easily do that when if you swap to a four barrel carb later on.

If there is any point to what I'm trying to say, don't tear into your motor and spend big dough right now. Enjoy your ride, and good luck.
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:15 PM

The 350 is a good engine; however, if you want to rebuild an engine find a 455 to rebuild while you continue to cruise in your car and enjoy it. Oldsguy owned a 69 Delta 88 with a 455 and it was a great car. He actually sold it recently. The good thing about buying an engine and rebuilding it is that you can do everything at your liesure.

Headers are not made for your application. You can get a dual exhaust manifold here for a big block engine.

http://www.themotorcompany.com/Full-...d-p-16158.html

Last edited by Olds64; January 15th, 2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the tips. I knew the Cutlass 350 had headers but was unsure if they would fit my car. thanks for clarifying.

When I said Crate motor I was thinking potentially swapping the 350 to a new GM Performace parts crate. Cost and reliability would help me decide on which path to go.
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:06 AM

Olds64 thanks for the idea on the 455 while my 350 is in the car. Never pondered that route. I could even reuse parts I put on the 350 like the carb and HEI. Great idea. Then sell the intake and heads.
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Past Administrator

Don't buy a GM crate motor, it won't be an Olds motor and in my opinion would be wrong. Stay with a quadrajet carburetor, not a Holley. Fix what needs to be fixed as time passes i.e. you might want to address the smoke on start up soon as I agree that it is probably worn valve guides and rebuilding the heads might be a good idea. By the way, if you try to use a new crate motor you will need to do something about your transmission as the new motor won't fit your TH400.
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Oldsguy does have a point about a crate motor not fitting on your TH 400. If you really want a crate motor then do some research. You can still get an Olds 455 or 350 crate engine. They just won't be performance built. However, you can always order a short block and put your own cam into it. Add an aftermarket intake and a good carburetor and you are set to go. It just depends on how much time and money you have. Plus you need to know what you want to do with the car.
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM

I am pretty sure I will go with a quadrajet. Any recommendations on sources? I see on Summit I can get one reman by Holley but it was a Chevy core. Any issue with putting that one on my car? The price is right at $230.

As for HEI any recommendations on vendors?
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
... You can still get an Olds 455 or 350 crate engine...
Where? All I've seen are stock rebuilds. Of course, the meaning of "crate motor" has changed over the years. Originally (and in my mind) it meant a factory assembled brand new engine. Now every engine builder labels their rebuilds as a "crate motor".
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM
GM Enthusiast

Summit has a HEI distributor for Olds 260-455 for $179. Or, you can do what I did and get one out of a boneyard and put new parts in it for less.