Froze last night.

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:47 AM

Froze last night.

I wasn't really expecting the weather to dip into the teens. What I mean is, like a dummy I think I was lacking in anti freeze. This morning I drove the '84 Delta 88 for a few miles before the temp light came on. I got it home because I was two blocks away and when I lifted the hood there was a tremendous amount of steam.

I let it cool down and then topped it off with water (no anti freeze just yet) and ran it for ten seconds. It began to leak from what it looks like the radiator. I let it cool for a few hours while I was off paying a bill and now I topped off the empty radiator again without starting the engine. I do not see a leak yet.

Does that mean the leak is coming from the engine? Is there a test to find out? Damn I feel rotten.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 09:17 AM
Past Administrator

It could the just the radiator, since you think you saw the steam coming from the radiator the first time. You won't be able to see the leak until you pressurize the system by starting the car, unless it is really a big leak. An optional way a shop would do it is to pressurize the radiator with compressed air on the radiator cap, this would at least verify if the radiator is leaking, but that would require you to drive to a shop so you might as well start it up and start looking for a steam leak as the engine warms up. As soon as steam starts to develop turn the engine off and start a thorough search. Good luck and be careful.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Ug.

You can try running the car with the radiator cap off, and adding coolant to the radiator every time the thermostat opens until it is completely full.

How is your coolant mixture?? Could it have frozen ?

As far as detecting the leak goes. See if you can get the system completely filled before you put it under pressure.

Did you buy a new radiator cap when you purchased the coolant?

It's hopefully just the radiator.

Last edited by J-(Chicago); January 3rd, 2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM

i recommend filling up the radiator and compression testing the coolant system. with the engine off you will see if your leaking anywhere outside the engine because the coolant will leak out of it. and you say steam... did it overheat ? or did it just get hot, if it got hot i highly doubt its leaking from the block, unless one of your block plugs just happened to loosen a little bit or something. also check your petcock valve at the bottom of your radiator, it could be loose and slowly leaking from it. For the future, just please dont forget to put 100 antifreeze in for the winter. i still remember when i made the mistake of running water in my lincoln continental, i had a 460 in that thing and when it blew a hose, it made a huge mess. not to mention that could short out all the wiring under the hood.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:00 PM

I'm pretty sure it was under "coolanted." I filled it up and waited like I said before and when I started it up there was no leak. I drove it 1.5 miles to the grocery store. No leak. I drove it back home and still no leak. I put another three miles on it picking up some more antifreeze and it is still cool. I am going out now to drain some water off so I can add a gallon of 100% and then run it for a while to get it mixed up through the whole system. I know. There is still something wrong but it is being a bear making itself plain.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:23 PM

I drained off a gallon from the petcock and then refilled it with a gallon of 100% antifreeze. I started it up with no problem and the drove for exactly three miles without a leak or temp light.

Did I get lucky or is there a redundant system in there somewhere that takes care of little freezes? I will drive it further tomorrow (Friday) for a final test before writing it off. One last question.

If I paid a garage to flush the radiator, will the water and antifreeze flow clear again or will it always be rusty and dingy? If so I'll try it myself.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:04 PM

Unless you pay the shop to pull the thermostat & flush the entire system,Block included it will probably be, The only set back with a power flush is any rust that was still sealing the freeze plugs, gaskets & heater core now may begin to leak. Your best bet is to do the garden hose flush. Sold at any parts store, Just splice heater hose & take off radiator cap off. best to use hot water ,from the house hot water heater if possible. Crimp garden hose several times by hand to build pressure in spurts.then drain & re fill with AF. For best results follow directions on package.My advice might confuse you
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Past Administrator

I agree with blue, you can also add some flush detergent into the mix to clean things up some. You got lucky bro!
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Thanks guys. I'm going ut right now to check things out.

Drove it today with no problems.

Last edited by ztim; January 4th, 2008 at 10:58 AM.