350 Small Block Upgrade Help

Old December 31st, 2007, 09:58 AM

350 Small Block Upgrade Help

I want to give my 350 a little bit of a modern touch to it, and also add a bit of performance. I do not know alot about engines since I am mainly a body shop guy, so any help would be recommended.

I just bought this car off my brother, so I am not familiar with it at all.

I do know that it currently has a rebuilt holley carborator, and an Edelbrock manifold, but I want more power out of it, and a better fuel management system.

If anyone has any suggestions for a better carb., some headers, a new fuel management system, exhaust, and any other upgrades you would recommend, it would be appreciated.

By the way, I won't be installing this stuff myself, it will all be instlaled by someone who actually knows what they are doing, so if you have suggesions for new pistons, then go ahead and fire that at me as well.
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:22 AM
Past Administrator

go back to the original Quadrajet, a great carb and you get the best of both worlds, economy and performance. If you want to upgrade the intake system, Edelbrock makes one called the performer rpm that is supposed to be a little better than the stock one. Some people put an aftermarket electronically triggered distributor or points replacement kit for longevity, but it doesn't do much in the performance field over stock. There a many choices for headers out there, hooker, headmen, are two that come to mind immediately. like I mentioned in your other thread, simply rebuilding the 350 to stock specs will bring it back to peak condition but there are also many camshaft upgrades that will perk the engine up nicely. Since you have a machinist you trust you should probably go with his recommendations.
Old December 31st, 2007, 11:21 AM

Check what gears you have in the rear axle. If you have highways in it, like 2:xx, you will "feel" alot more punch out of the hole when you switch to 3:xx.
Old December 31st, 2007, 06:50 PM

Oldsguy has some good suggestions. The OE cam is VERY mild, there is an upgrade there to be made. But the true CR is a crucial factor. IMO, 350s are easy to overcam. Sometimes less is more. What year engine is it? Which intake and what size carb?

And, Pfiffle is right on, nothing improves the "seat-of-the-pants" feel like a steeper set of gears.
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:55 PM
MAQ

If you have an intake & carb, next step would be a cam & set of headers/ mufflers.