7A Head Identification

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2012, 07:30 AM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

7A Head Identification

Looking at the heads on my stock '72 SBO i can clearly see the pass side 7A,

but on the driver's side it is not clear.

Is that raised area next to the top of the "7" what used to be an "A"? Did the two sides have different castings like that? I've read that it is a "subscript A" not superscript. Is the driver's side head a 7 or 7A? Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:36 AM

My Drivers side has a 7A head. I am 100% sure.

My guess is that your drivers side was replaced somewhere along the way? By the way, #7 heads are from 71' ... Look at the tech section

7 --> '71 350 64 409147 W-31's had larger [2.000] valves.

7A --> '72 350 64 409147 The 'A' is a subscript
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:44 AM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Thanks for the reply, Tony. So your driver's side "7A" is clearly cast just like the pass side? That's what I'm wondering, if the driver's side is a 7 then that likely means that it was replaced at some point (which I was not aware of when I bought the vehicle from the original owner.) Unless, at whatever point my serial 167424 VIN car was made in '72 they mixed and matched 7 and 7A heads.

Last edited by adis; May 9th, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You've got a #7 and a #7A head.

Probably one was changed at some point.

They should be functionally the same.

If you want to confirm, there should be casting date codes on them somewhere, but I am not the one who knows where to look - they should be very roughly a year apart.

- Eric
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:51 AM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Thx Eric
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by adis
Thanks for the reply, Tony. So your driver's side "7A" is clearly cast just like the pass side? That's what I'm wondering, if the driver's side is a 7 then that likely means that it was replaced at some point (which I was not aware of when I bought the vehicle from the original owner.) Unless, at whatever point my serial 167424 VIN car was made in '72 they mixed and matched 7 and 7A heads.
I could take a picture but i'm at work right now, But yes, it's clearly stamped 7A and the A is underneath that little screw thing you posted above.

As eric said, they're both functionally 64cc heads. So all that's different is that little A stamped under the 7. If your car is running well i'd say just to leave em' be.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:54 AM

I think the A just indicated hardened valve seats for unleaded fuel in 72.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 7 and 7A heads start with the same casting, but the difference is in the machining for the valve spring pockets. The 7 heads have deep pockets on the exhaust side only for rotators. The 7A heads had rotators on both intake and exhaust, so both have the spring pockets machined deep. If you are rebuilding the heads and are getting rid of the rotators, you can shim the deep pockets to get the installed spring heights all the same, or conversely machine the shallow pockets to match the others and run taller springs to allow more valve lift before spring bind.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:55 AM

Although, your passenger side head seems a little bit wet with oil, have you tried torquing down the gasket in a criss cross?
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by hookem horns
I think the A just indicated hardened valve seats for unleaded fuel in 72.
No. ALL Olds heads from 1971-up came with induction hardened seats due to the federal requirement to use low-lead (and later no-lead) fuel. There were CA heads in 1967. These did NOT have hardened seats.
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:13 AM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the replies guys - Especially your valve cover comment, Tony...(joke)

I'm not concerned about it or planning on doing anything right now. i was just going through my "here's what i wish i could do to my cutlass" plan, rebuilding the engine in different configurations in my mind; and I noticed the different heads. i've been thinking that the new(er) generation of carb port intake, easy EFI products sound too good to be true (except for the price) I was imagining a SBO build with one of the easy EFI products, a Performer RPM intake, mild cam, (got the exhaust already) and hmm, what heads? with the EFI, I've got to use an electric fuel pump anyway, so why not some AL BB heads? but to save money to afford the EFI, maybe I just refresh my existing heads, since I'm only looking for street performance (albeit great street performance.) Blah blah blah .. thanks again guys
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The 7 and 7A heads start with the same casting, but the difference is in the machining for the valve spring pockets. The 7 heads have deep pockets on the exhaust side only for rotators. The 7A heads had rotators on both intake and exhaust, so both have the spring pockets machined deep. If you are rebuilding the heads and are getting rid of the rotators, you can shim the deep pockets to get the installed spring heights all the same, or conversely machine the shallow pockets to match the others and run taller springs to allow more valve lift before spring bind.
What Joe said is correct, but I would NOT machine the shallow pockets on the one head to match. There is only .200" material there, and you would machine a substantial potion away to make them match, it may risk cracking the casting under the spring if done.

I would find a match to the 7a head, myself, but most people who do not even pull valve covers would never even know the difference till they sold the car anyway. Not even worth the bother if you ask me.

The stock untouched 5,6,7,and 7a castings will be from 68-70 cc's if they have never had a valve job done on them.
64cc's is another internet myth that keeps getting it's can kicked down the road by some. MEASURE the castings. PRODUCTION stuff is 68-70 cc's.
Good luck to you.
Old June 9th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Rodney

'71 heads

I always thought the hardened seats came in '72 with the #7a heads. I had a '71 Supreme with #7 heads, my engine builder cut down the exhaust spring seats and used the rotators on both intake and exhaust. Didn't have any problems with casting thickness, seems there was plenty of metal to do this safely. However, I did have problems with the exhaust seats not hardened. After about 1 year of daily driving, the engine started to lose power. Turns out, my #7 heads didn't have hardened exhaust seats, and the exhaust valves were literally sinking into the ports. I picked up a set of #7a heads and transplanted the hardware from the #7's with a fresh valve job and drove that car for 10 more years.
--I should of kept that one!
Old June 9th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

72 does have 7A heads. I just looked at my car (original eng/heads). The 7A on the passenger side is by the #8 cylinder; the 7A on the drivers side is by the #1 cylinder
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cdrod
I always thought the hardened seats came in '72 with the #7a heads. I had a '71 Supreme with #7 heads, my engine builder cut down the exhaust spring seats and used the rotators on both intake and exhaust. Didn't have any problems with casting thickness, seems there was plenty of metal to do this safely. However, I did have problems with the exhaust seats not hardened. After about 1 year of daily driving, the engine started to lose power. Turns out, my #7 heads didn't have hardened exhaust seats, and the exhaust valves were literally sinking into the ports. I picked up a set of #7a heads and transplanted the hardware from the #7's with a fresh valve job and drove that car for 10 more years.
--I should of kept that one!
And as I said above ALL Olds heads from the 1971 model year onward DID come with hardened seats to allow the use of low-lead fuel as mandated by the Feds. Keep in mind that Olds did not use hardened press-in seats. Instead, the cast iron head was locally induction heated around the valve seat to harden it. The hardening is not very deep and if the seats have been cut during a valve job it's likely the hardened material was removed.
Old September 30th, 2018, 07:41 AM

7 vs 7A heads

Old thread but inline with my questions, so I thought appropriate to ask here.

The 7 and 7A heads start with the same casting, but the difference is in the machining for the valve spring pockets. .
...Is the valve spring pocket differences and the ""Rotator style spring retainers were used on ONLY the exhaust springs"" the only difference in 7 vs 7A heads?
......Which is better? (noob question)

ALL Olds heads from the 1971 model year onward DID come with hardened seats .
...So I understand from this thread that all #7 and #7A heads are hardened valve seats.

[QUOTE]All 1971 350's use #7 heads.[QUOTE]
[QUOTE]All 1972 350's use #7A heads[QUOTE]
...Accurate I assume from OldsFAQ

I am obtaining stock #3, #7, & 4A heads I am getting with a 330 & 403 block.
I see the #7's came with either 1.880/1.567 and 1.995/1.624 valves.
I am eager to see it has the larger valves, however I assume the larger valves were for W-30's, right ? (which I do not think these are from a W-30).

~J

Old September 30th, 2018, 08:04 AM

The W-30 was a 455 big block engine. Big block engines used letter IDs, small block heads used number IDs.

As to which are better (7 or 7a) they are exactly the same from a performance standpoint.

Last edited by Fun71; September 30th, 2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old September 30th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Via3d
Old thread but inline with my questions, so I thought appropriate to ask here.

...Is the valve spring pocket differences and the ""Rotator style spring retainers were used on ONLY the exhaust springs"" the only difference in 7 vs 7A heads?
......Which is better? (noob question)
Rotators are designed to even out valve and seat wear, but at the expense of heavier reciprocating mass and thus earlier valve float. For performance applications most people ditch the heavy rotators and use normal retainers.

...So I understand from this thread that all #7 and #7A heads are hardened valve seats.

All 1971 350's use #7 heads.
All 1972 350's use #7A heads
...Accurate I assume from OldsFAQ
HAHAHAHAHA The Olds FAQ has many well documented errors. Amazingly, this time the info is correct. Even a blind squirrel...

I see the #7's came with either 1.880/1.567 and 1.995/1.624 valves.
Annnnd, we're back... If you got this from the FAQ, it's wrong. The only SBOs to use 2.000/1.625 valves were the W-31s, and there were no W-31s built in the 1971 model year. You can install the bigger valves in the 7 or 7A heads, but that machine work will remove the induction hardened surface of the factory valve seats.

I am eager to see it has the larger valves,
It won't.

Old November 29th, 2021, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Rotators are designed to even out valve and seat wear, but at the expense of heavier reciprocating mass and thus earlier valve float. For performance applications most people ditch the heavy rotators and use normal retainers.

HAHAHAHAHA The Olds FAQ has many well documented errors. Amazingly, this time the info is correct. Even a blind squirrel...

Annnnd, we're back... If you got this from the FAQ, it's wrong. The only SBOs to use 2.000/1.625 valves were the W-31s, and there were no W-31s built in the 1971 model year. You can install the bigger valves in the 7 or 7A heads, but that machine work will remove the induction hardened surface of the factory valve seats.

It won't.
Sooo, with a machined head the hardened material is removed. How much does this effect the head? I.E. heads machined for bigger valves, 1.995/1.62.... good?? Not good? It was a full rebuild, bored .30 over on a 350, adding a 204/214 cam.
Thanks! Sorry If this thread is to old?
Jack
Old November 30th, 2021, 05:12 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The sunken seats mentioned in this thread is one of the few instances of sunken valve seats. I have heard of very few issues with Olds V8's. I assume you are using cast replacement pistons if you are using the mild 204/214 cam in a rebuilt 350? The bigger valves will work fine but are useless if the machine shop doesn't use a bowl hog cutter to remove material under them. Good luck.