painting my 350 Rocket

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2007, 04:09 PM

painting my 350 Rocket

hello everyone,
i am new here and hoping to learn alot from the veterans of this sport. i have a 71 cutlass and i am wanting to paint the engine. well, atleast the heads, block, and intake manifold. i have read alot about cleaning the engine of coures, but my concern is using BC/CC method. i hear alot of different methods about painting an engine. some say it's ok to use car paint and car clear coat and some say not to use it cause it can be to hot for the paint and can cause the temperature to get too hot for the engine, rendering it from breathing. i am wanting to paint the 350 rocket back to that pretty gold, but i really want it to be shiney that's why i wanted to use clear coat. but then again i want it to last. how would you guys feel about this :

1. dupont epoxy primer
2. duplicolor high heat shaker can paint (gold)
3. finish off with a regular car clear coat or if they sell high heat clear please let me know which you would suggest.

thanks- Lee
Old October 14th, 2007, 04:10 PM

painting my engine ???

hello everyone,
i am new here and hoping to learn alot from the veterans of this sport. i have a 71 cutlass and i am wanting to paint the engine. well, atleast the heads, block, and intake manifold. i have read alot about cleaning the engine of coures, but my concern is using BC/CC method. i hear alot of different methods about painting an engine. some say it's ok to use car paint and car clear coat and some say not to use it cause it can be to hot for the paint and can cause the temperature to get too hot for the engine, rendering it from breathing. ???? i am wanting to paint the 350 rocket back to that pretty gold, but i really want it to be shiney that's why i wanted to use clear coat. but then again i want it to last. how would you guys feel about this :

1. dupont epoxy primer
2. duplicolor high heat shaker can paint (gold)
3. finish off with a regular car clear coat or if they sell high heat clear please let me know which you would suggest.

thanks- Lee
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:12 PM

I just rebuilt a Ford 302 and used duplicolor (I think that's the one--came from Autozone) engine paint. I have never heard of anyone using clear-coat. The engine enamel paint when used, tends to get more shine as the motor gets hot. If nothing else, try it on your valvecovers or something, some place it's easy to get off if you don't like it.
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to both of you to our site. I think you would do better to omit the clear coat. Most engine paints have enough shine in them on their own. Besides I would think you would want a little bit of contrast between the real shiny parts like the chrome you will probably have in the accessories, to the semi shiny engine to the not so shiny aluminum (if you have any) like the intake manifold.

edit: I merged your threads...

Last edited by Oldsguy; October 14th, 2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Senior Moment

duplicolor gold in a rattle can, engine primer first, worked for me.
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Senior Moment

motor.jpg
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:45 AM

thank you so much for the quick reply gents ! thats kinda what i thought but you know this engine painting is all new to me. it's not like painting a car that for sure, to many factors ! thanks again -Lee
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:54 AM

thanks

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6339.jpg (106.2 KB, 53 views)
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Senior Moment

sweet... btw, what does the screenname stand for?
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Past Administrator

That sure is one purdy car....
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jokers69
sweet... btw, what does the screenname stand for?

just good music and cars bro! "these are a few of my favorite things" ha ha ha, you know !!
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Senior Moment

do ya play anything?
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:48 PM

yeah

yeah, i play drums, but just as a hobby. i collect instrument so i'm always messing with somethin on the side ya know ! i wanted to tell ya i love that gold you used. thats the same one i was aiming for. i just really wanted to use a clear coat to give it that shine and depth you know? i see guy's on the internet and some of the cars chip foose does and they spray clear on them!?!?!?!? what did you prime your's with? and do you think i could spray a thin coat of clear on the engine?
thanks bro -lee
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:10 PM

more pics

man i know i'm doing the process of a rebuild backwards but money play's a big factor when it comes to these cars, ya'll know what i mean!!! . i have worked in a body shop for a little over 8 years now that's why i was able to do the body work and paint myself and save money. i'm not gonna change the engine, i just want to freshin it up with a couple things, and get it to look pretty. thats why i was asking about painting the engine. that is something totally new to me. these pictures were from 2005.
Attached Images
Picture 032.jpg (127.5 KB, 60 views)
Picture 048.jpg (159.8 KB, 57 views)
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Jokers69 - Nice looking engine!

Good Music n Cars - Super paint job! Something different and tasteful in a two tone with nice color choices. Your design? Also the wheel tire combo gives it a nice 'stance'. I usually prefer smaller rims - bigger rubber. But I've got to admit your tire combo looks great on your car. Exellent job!

Don
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:35 PM

Smile well thanks man!

as a young cat, i feel really honored when i hear good stuff like that from you veterans of this sport. but yes, i really wanted to keep he original color of the car which was the brown, but i wanted the new look. so i was playing around with a photoshop program just to see what i wanted to do you know? well since the day i got the car in 03, i just kept thinking of ideas and using that photoshop pgm. i work in a body shop and also have a small auto detail company on the side, so i knew how black paint is just the hardest paint to keep swirls and any little nick or scratch off ! i wasn't scared of it but i knew it would be a job taking care of it you know ! actually i was scared ha ha ha ha! but it was the best looking for the brown! so we stripped the car of everything except windows. for the brown we added more pearl and the black was oil slick black , no flake no pearl just BLACK ! and the stripe had to be knaki you know! the car has been painted for almost 3 years now and not a swirl on it. everyone who sees it always thinks i just painted it. but now i am trying to take my engine out and paint it along with adding new cam, intake man, new aluminum pans, 4brl carb, trans cooler, fresh gaskets, and headers. but i know i should have done it before i painted the car. so now i have to be extra careful. thank you so much for your compliments. heres a picture of the day i brought the car home but like i told you i used a picture program and tried to get what i wanted. it's not like some of those guys renderings but i just needed to get an idea you know? thanks -lee
Attached Images
morph final.jpg (144.1 KB, 50 views)
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM

P S

i would recommend anyone to mess with a photoshop program, just to get a look and an idea, cause theres is so many colors and looks out there. you know what i mean. mainly just cut and paste . i did thse 2 for some guys i met at a car show. mustang wanted to see his car lowered and with black rims i just added the girl for him ha ha ha ha, and a nova that the guy wanted to see what it would look like gray and with the new vette rims.
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM

look

look
Attached Images
cd4 316.jpg (70.8 KB, 36 views)
city stang.jpg (49.8 KB, 43 views)
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Senior Moment

Dapapa-Thanks for the complement, it runs better then I expected!

Good music- I'm a guitarist..

On the engine I used duplicolor engine primer and gold paint, the intake is aluminum that I painted with duplicolor aluminum engine paint, it sealed up the aluminum and kept it from staining..
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Senior Moment

so, are any of these pictures real or are they mockups?
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:42 PM

ok thanks

thanks man. and pictures....? the ones of my car are real. but i used a photo shop for the others to see what they would look like you know ? i never found out if those two guys ever actually made the cars are not???
thanks again -Lee
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Past Administrator

Lee, have you painted the little ridges inside the tail light lenses? I think they were originally a silver color. They would look good in that black. The same brown on the block with black brackets, aluminum intake and aluminum on the alternator (whatever the original color is sort of a bare metal silver color), black powder coated valve covers and black powder coated air cleaner housing (stock or aftermarket). That would be really nice!
Old October 16th, 2007, 08:04 AM

hey Mr Dan.

thanks for the tips. and yes i did paint the tailight inserts black, along with the grills and all the trim around the front and back windows. shaved trunk and passanger side locks, shaved side mirror, and shaved emblems, all except the rocket up front. and as far as the brown on the engine..... i was gonna do that with the block but then i thought, you know the gold engine pretty much says olds rocket you know. so i wanted to try to go with that and keep it original along with the interior of the car. for the valve covers i got the old ones with the oldsmobile raised aluminum print and those will be powdercoated. i am still looking for an original 4brl aircleaner that i can get powdercoated to top it off. but hey thanks, i like the way you think bro! -peace -Lee
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

I did alot of research when I got ready to paint my 425. I own a bodyshop, so I can relate to your uncertainty when it comes to painting something a little out of the ordinary. I know it goes against everything you know about painting cars, but the best way to paint that engine is with NO primer. Clean the hell out of it & put the least amount of paint you can while achieving coverage. (2 wet coats worked fine for me) Duplicolor is what I used also. I use Sherwin in my shop & I know they make great product. If you are still not happy with the shine after the color is on, put a wet coat of the engine clearcoat. When it comes to painting an engine, less is better. Good luck.