Fuel Line braided or steel?

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2011, 04:08 PM

Question Fuel Line braided or steel?

Here is my situation:

-Switching from 2BBL carb to 4BBL carb with 1" spacer.
-Carburetor is a Q-jet chevy, so it has the inlet coming out the side vs. straight out the front.
-What would be the best method off connecting fuel pump to carb?

I know there has been some carb/intake swaps, so any information or pictures would be helpful.

Also, what are the pros and cons of using an inline filter before the carb filter?

Thanks

d1
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:48 AM

First - you've a Chevy Q-jet! Check the number for application, as it might need re-jetting.
B-O-P+Cad lines are out the front.
I'd personally use the steel formed factory-type lines, and put an in-line STEEL filter before the fuel pump - leaks on the ground are better than on the motor, and further away from sparks!
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:59 AM

Not all Olds QJets go out the front. I have a 66 one sitting on my bench now that goes out the side.

I personally don't like braided so I would go with hard line if you have the skill and patience for it. The pros of an inline filter is you won't have to keep removing the threaded fitting in the front which are notorious for stripping threads. Other than not looking stock I don't know any cons. Inline filters are also bigger so in the event you do clog it you'll probably have enough time to get home and fix it before it's completely clogged. If you get a see thru one you can also see any contaminant in it.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
First - you've a Chevy Q-jet! Check the number for application, as it might need re-jetting.
B-O-P+Cad lines are out the front.
I'd personally use the steel formed factory-type lines, and put an in-line STEEL filter before the fuel pump - leaks on the ground are better than on the motor, and further away from sparks!
No, the carb is good. I am intimately familiar with the inner workings of this carb and it has been drilled, jetted and pretty much anything it took to remove circa 1980 emissions requirements.

I will take a look at the line before the fuel pump and see if there is a good place to put a filter.

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Not all Olds QJets go out the front. I have a 66 one sitting on my bench now that goes out the side.

I personally don't like braided so I would go with hard line if you have the skill and patience for it. The pros of an inline filter is you won't have to keep removing the threaded fitting in the front which are notorious for stripping threads. Other than not looking stock I don't know any cons. Inline filters are also bigger so in the event you do clog it you'll probably have enough time to get home and fix it before it's completely clogged. If you get a see thru one you can also see any contaminant in it.

Good point about the Q-jets. I guess since I am not the greatest at bending the steel line I would be partial to braided. Unless a factory steel line would work if I found the correct adapter/fitting for the inlet portion to have that connection sticking out the front vs. the side. Then maybe the factory line would work with minimal massaging (then I still would have to take into consideration the 1" spacer).

d1
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:49 AM

If you get the pre-bent line from somewhere like The Parts Place, and ask for a BB Chevy line, you'll be 95% of the way there.
Key to steel lines is to start the threads by hand, making sure they're lined up.
Steel filters don't melt or crack - preferable IMO!!
Almost lost a '65 98 because of a cracked 'see through' filter!!
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I would agree that an inline filter is a good idea - get a big enough one and remove the original one, and it should flow better, too.

I tend to fall on the side of the clear plastic variety, for the sake of seeing the element, so long as it's protected from vibration. Also, if you mount it on the TANK side of the pump, it will just drip if it cracks, rather than spitting fuel.

I would argue against almost all of the glass aftermarket filters out there, because they tend to develop leaks.

- Eric