Powder Coating Engine?

Old February 26th, 2011, 03:12 PM

Powder Coating Engine?

Is this possible or is it a bad idea? I was told that it could be done and I figured if anyone knew, it'd def. be someone in this forum! Thanks in advance...
Old February 26th, 2011, 03:41 PM

Hey Big Trav! Yes it can be done. I did see someone with a Poncho 400 that had it powdercoated red to match the color of the car. I can't say how durable it is, or if it's a good idea. I think it would be pretty durable, but lets see what the real pros say. I hope things are good on your end.
Old February 26th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Olds Dreamer

i worked for hpc high performance coatings for about two years we never did an actual engine so i have no idea about it. but i dont think it would be a good idea the cylinder walls might warp in the oven. plus it being in the oven would make the oil come from the pores in it and the powder would have a hard time sticking to the engine. unless u put it in the oven twice before the coating and after. i think it would be neat if u could do it but i dont know how it would be done.

The way we did the coatings would be parts in the oven to get all the grease oil and stuff like that out of the pores of the metal then to the sand blasters. then to the coaters, then to the oven, then to QC.
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:25 PM

i wouldn't think it would be a good idea. anything powder coated would need to be under 200 degrees operating temperature. powder coat will melt if it gets much over that. not all powder coat is the same, maybe there are some that would be ok but not sure. if you powder coated the engine, would it also hold in heat? i don't know about that.. just thinking.
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Olds Dreamer

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i wouldn't think it would be a good idea. anything powder coated would need to be under 200 degrees operating temperature. powder coat will melt if it gets much over that. not all powder coat is the same, maybe there are some that would be ok but not sure. if you powder coated the engine, would it also hold in heat? i don't know about that.. just thinking.
That is true i didnt think of any of that.
Old February 27th, 2011, 05:43 AM

It is very common to powder coat intake and exhaust manifolds.

Seems to me the post clean up on the block would be a real pain unless your powedr coater was nice enough to cover all threaded holes.

If you did the intake only than you have to deal with color mismatch to the block.
Old February 27th, 2011, 07:15 AM

From what I have read on the subject, some cast parts are prone to "outgassing" during the curing process. This caused bubbles and poor adhesion of the powder coat in that area. To avoid this the parts need to be cleaned, heated in the oven, cleaned again, then powder coated. I would think this might get expensive given the oven time it would take to heat something as large as an engine block.
I love powder coating, but think I will stick with a high quality paint for my engine.
Old February 27th, 2011, 07:42 AM

This forum is helping me move forward with my car alot!!! Thanks everyone I think I'll just paint the engine in this case...Joe gotta tell you one more time...thanks for the hood lol!!! I have the front end of the car off right now, the engine is out and about to be rebuilt and I went on and bought the 442 bumpers for the car. I kind of slowed down on it because I'm deploying to Afghanistan in a few months and figured I'd just get the car in tip top running condition, park it in the garage, and then finish the cosmetics when I return home...
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by BigTrav
I'm deploying to Afghanistan in a few months ...
Thank you very much for your service!
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:20 AM

you can totally powder coat an engine block. im not sure about heat retention. but the finish will look better and last longer than any paint job. it will cost alot more than paint. you would probably want to take extra care to preassemble and mark out everywhere you want/dont want coating. and get matching touch up paint. Also there are things that you probably wouldnt powder coat. like the water pump. i say give it a shot!!