½" Head Bolts with Screw-Ends for Attaching Brackets?

Old February 17th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

½" Head Bolts with Screw-Ends for Attaching Brackets?

This should be an easy question:

Is there such a thing as ½" Head Bolts with those male threaded portions above the hexes for attaching alternator and A/C brackets?

Once I get a 350 built and installed, this won't be a problem, but that's probably over a year away. Right now, the car's got a 260 in it, and I'd like to install a matching set of year-correct pulleys and brackets, as the current ones don't match up (some have a ½" offset ), but, obviously, in order to do that, I'd need those head-bolt attaching points, and the 260's got those large head bolts, which I have not encountered with the threaded ends.

Thanks...

- Eric
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
This should be an easy question:

Is there such a thing as ½" Head Bolts with those male threaded portions above the hexes for attaching alternator and A/C brackets?

Once I get a 350 built and installed, this won't be a problem, but that's probably over a year away. Right now, the car's got a 260 in it, and I'd like to install a matching set of year-correct pulleys and brackets, as the current ones don't match up (some have a ½" offset ), but, obviously, in order to do that, I'd need those head-bolt attaching points, and the 260's got those large head bolts, which I have not encountered with the threaded ends.

Thanks...

Yeah, but you'll probably only find them in a wrecking yard. 1977-up Olds motors should have them.
- Eric
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thanks, Joe! I'd never actually seen any, so I wasn't sure if they were real.

I'll be on the lookout next time I'm in the junkyard.

- Eric
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:53 PM

Eric, I've got some from a 403, I believe they're the same. Send me your address in a PM and I'll get pictures and shipping costs for you. John
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Lance

Eric, have you tried AMK?

http://www.amkproducts.com/bulk1.asp
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Registered

For what it's worth, in the parts catalog those are called "stud end" bolts.

I remember loosing one of those fine thread nuts for the one for my AC bracket. Actually had to go and buy another one, I found it a few weeks later of course.
The rod bolt I found in the bottom of my oil change container is still bothering me.
Would a rod bolt even fit through the oil drain plug hole?
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by ROCKET VAPOR
Eric, have you tried AMK?
Well, AMK is the Magic Kingdom of fasteners, and I do have their catalogue, but I was thinking of something a bit cheaper for my purposes. This car ain't no restoration, and a pair of bolts at the junkyard is a "throw-in" item that doesn't actually raise the price of the other items already on the table...

Thanks anyway though - it was a good idea.

Originally Posted by Bluevista
... in the parts catalog those are called "stud end" bolts.
Thanks! Easier to find if you know what they're called!

And I wouldn't worry about that rod bolt - you've got 15 others in there.

- Eric

edit:
I'd have to go measure my own, but I think these are those.

Like I said, though, $8.00 plus shipping is pretty steep for something that's basically free at the junkyard .

Last edited by MDchanic; February 17th, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:27 PM

yeah there is,(at least as far back as '74), '75-'77 they were used in different locations on the heads. some used for A/C brackets, some to attach the grounding cable from the battery. i think the A/C one uses a spacer under the bracket and a lock washer under the nut. not sure about pre '75, the alt. doesnt use head bolt(s) on any of the brackets, it does use the front exaust manifold bolt though and a intake bolt(no spacers). the upper/front head bolt on the drivers side for the battery ground(shorter stud/fine thread/star washer). the passenger side uses a long one(long stud). the power steering pump uses a bolt/spacer going into the block just above the oil pan, and a spacer on the water pump stud. best to have all the correct bolts, spacers, and orientation. find a mid to late 70's Olds. motor, 350 is a good candidate, complete and make note of location of stuff, the place i go to just gives me stuff like that.

Last edited by blueRAYwhale; February 22nd, 2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: ummm, more tech. stuff
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by blueRAYwhale
yeah there is,(at least as far back as '74), '75-'77 they were used in different locations on the heads.
1976-older motors used 7/16" head bolts. 1977-up used 1/2" bolts.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:20 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
1976-older motors used 7/16" head bolts. 1977-up used 1/2" bolts.
thanks for the info., come to think of it i don't think i got any bolts off of a '77, looked at alot of them, good to know. i think the mounting locations for the accessories is the same, maybe not because some cars came with those AIR pump things in '77.