gauges help help help

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2010, 05:21 PM

gauges help help help

Ok guys I am hooking up autometer water , volt , and oil gauges. I have the water temp sender bolted on the rear of the edelbrock intake manifold ( Is this OK spot)
The oil pressure sender I was going to hook up just to the left of the engine numbers just behind the water pump because there is a port there and that is where the old mechanical one was ,but it does not fit there because it is an elec. gauge and has a huge sender.
So my ? is , is on the intake manifold ok for water temp and where is another pressure port that I can put the oil pressure sender ?
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:46 PM

Is the old one light or guage ?
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM
this is not my car lol

i have the same set up.

the water temp sensor goes in the front of the intake. the oil pressure sender might need to be plumbed with some pipe though. head over to the any auto parts store and be sure to get the correct thread pitch! the oil sensor goes in that hole beside the casting #'s.

be careful not to KINK or BEND either the oil pressure nylon hose, or the temp sensor copper pipe.
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:51 AM

these are electric so no nylon hose , the oil sender is huge so it dont fit next to the casting # unless I raised it about an inch , So you are saying plumb the sender port with a piece of pipe in order to raise the sender up to clear obstructions ?Will it still be accurate and everything ?As far as the water temp I guess I will leave it at the rear of the intake instead of moving it to the front.
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

To expand on the prior posts, first the coolant sender needs to be in an area of flowing coolant. The port at the back of the intake is a dead end, which can lead to incorrect temp readings. The sender should be installed in one of the bungs in the coolant crossover at the front of the intake, adjacent to the t-stat.

The oil pressure sender, on the other hand, does want to be at the end of a pipe. Even the factory used a section of pipe to raise the sender high enough to clear. I use a 2" section of 1/8" NPT nipple with a coupler. The factory part, which is available as a repro, is actually a section of pipe with an integral 45 deg elbow at the end for the sender. You can replicate this with hardware store parts if you care about appearances.
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:34 PM

Ok thanks alot