Ideas for a 1964 330 mild build

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2010, 05:03 AM

Ideas for a 1964 330 mild build

Hi, I am looking for a few ideas for a mild build of my 330 2 barrel engine. This engine has about 90,000 on it and seems to be completely stock. It has #1 heads and the only non-stock addition has been a set of 2 1/4" duals, out the back. I was thinking along the lines of a 4A intake [or should I use a 307 intake?] , 600 AFB and HEI ignition upgrade. Any other cheap and easy bolt ons? I'm doing my utmost to retain the completely stock style appearance. I even plan on reusing the stock upper air cleaner part [perhaps adding another snorkle, if I can find sone..], with a modified lower base that fits the AFB. I'll even add the correct decals and paint.. stealth is the way I like to go... keep 'em guessing! I don't want to go too hog wild, as eventually I'm going to be dropping in a 455 if the deal works out. I'd just like to heat things up a bit to keep things fun . Cheers, Mike
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:48 AM

Seems like you have the right idea, especially if you want to remain "stock." You might consider an aftermarket radiator (or at least one from a full-sized wagon).
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:44 AM

Hi Olds64, and thanks for the comment. I have doing a bit of searching and seen some weird stuff going on with the #1 heads, as far as shaft mounted rockers go... Is this something I should upgrade to newer heads if something goes wrong with these? Also, I noticed this is the engine with the odd angle, and not too many cams are available for it. One last thing, I noticed the last 307's had tubular exhaust manifolds.. they kinda look like the factory shorty "headers" on my sons 89 5.0 Mustang LX. That design was better than iron on the Fords. Would it be to any advantage to use these to gain a divided port in the exhaust manifold? Thanks again for your replies. Cheers, Mike.

PS The previous owner just added a brand new reman. real brass and copper radiator. [That type is getting harder to find.. as they are all plastic and alu. these days.] I was thinking to add one of the many extra trans. coolers I have to keep the heat out of the rad.

Last edited by 1964F85; February 15th, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1964F85
Hi Olds64, and thanks for the comment. I have doing a bit of searching and seen some weird stuff going on with the #1 heads, as far as shaft mounted rockers go... Is this something I should upgrade to newer heads if something goes wrong with these? Also, I noticed this is the engine with the odd angle, and not too many cams are available for it. One last thing, I noticed the last 307's had tubular exhaust manifolds.. they kinda look like the factory shorty "headers" on my sons 89 5.0 Mustang LX. That design was better than iron on the Fords. Would it be to any advantage to use these to gain a divided port in the exhaust manifold? Thanks again for your replies. Cheers, Mike.

PS The kid who had it just added a brand new reman. real brass and copper radiator. [That type is getting harder to find.. as they are all plastic and alu. these days.] I was thinking to add one of the many extra trans. coolers I have to keep the heat out of the rad.
You want to keep the heat out of the transmission with the coolers!
Did you junk the ST300 transmission yet?

What gears are in the car?
3.55 gears, and a 3 or 4 speed automatic will make a world of difference.

Anyone will grind a cam for it, do the driveline first...these will do more for performance.
Heads are great heads. I have 2 more sets if you want them, shafts, and shims included.
If you pull the heads, fill the cross over in the heads with aluminum, and run an electric choke.
Surface, and valve job with 3 seat angles, and a back cut on the intake valve.
That will do 3X more for the engine than the late exhaust manifolds would.
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; February 12th, 2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:13 AM

A transmission cooler is always a good idea; however, I don't know how "original" this would be.
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
A transmission cooler is always a good idea; however, I don't know how "original" this would be.
Anyone (except a show judge) will forgive this for the fact it will increase life of the vehicle. The A4 manifold will stick out like a sore thumb, unless he removes the markings on it too.
Still, a worthy upgrade.

JMO
Jim
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:40 AM

Hi all and thanks for the input. I didn't get the car home yet on account of the massive snow we had here. I'm thinking I may get it here in the next several days. I heard mixed reviews on the ST300 trans. some good, some bad. If it runs for now, hopefully it will last till I can find a good TH350 to put in it. I'll have to figure out which flexplate to keep though...??? I'm curious to see which set of gears is in it now... my luck, will be the highest you can get. I'm almost sure it's an open rear as well. I was thinking going with something around 3.42 to 3.55 gears. These should also work with the eventual 455 I'd like to drop in.

As soon as it gets here, I'm going to open a new thread in the projects section. I just got an awesome all metal console form EBay, for a sweet deal. The guy wasn't sure the application, but it had Pontiac on it.. my best guess is from an early 60's Catalina or Tempest.. [a bit before my time... **LOL*] I'll have to wait for the gurus to tell me what I have. I'll add pix to the new thread.. I don't want to get too involved with the particulars in this section..

PS.. Yes, I'll grind off the numbers on the intake and paint it factory colors... I did this before to good effect on an Edlebrock performer manifold... I don't recall anyone catching it either.. hahaha!
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:37 PM

hopefully it will last till I can find a good TH350 to put in it.
If you are putting a different transmission in your car then it wouldn't be "original..."
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:14 PM

I'm doing my utmost to retain the completely stock style appearance.
Appearance, as opposed to original, are 2 different things here.
I know where he is coming from, I like this idea too.
I already have the A4 manifold, but the egr mount is bugging the begeeezus out of me. It will be cleaned up, ported, and have the center milled out before it goes onto my 403. I will be using a 66 air cleaner, cause the 65 unit that came with my car had a number of holes drilled in it.
There is much that can be done, even on a budget.

Use the flexplate that is on the engine right now, you will not have to change it to run the turbohydramatic 350 transmission.
The lack of gear multiplication in a small block car, with the st300 will always make the car feel like it is dragging 700# more than it really is in 1st gear. When you do get the new transmission installed, you will know where the extra power you now have, had came from.
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; February 12th, 2010 at 07:28 PM.